15 games in, your view on the Canes

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think these next 8 games will all but make or break the season (in terms of staying in the hunt). They only play 2 teams out of 8 that are over .500 and play 6 of the 8 games (including the 2 against teams over .500) at home. If they can't do well in this stretch, then it's likely all she wrote, because after those 8, they have the Rangers, Coyotes, Canadiens, Devils and Stars.

Here are the next 8:
Home vs. Wild: Over .500 team: OTL
Home vs. Flyers: Under .500 team: OTL
Home vs. Ducks: Under .500 team: L
Home vs. Leafs: Under .500 team
Home vs. Kings: Over .500 team
Away vs. Flyers: Under .500 team
Home vs. Oilers: Under .500 team
Away vs. Sabres: Under .500 team

Updated. 2 points in the first 3 games of this stretch. If they don't string together some wins in the next 5, the season (in terms of competing for a playoff spot) is basically over.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
at least we will have made it all the way to november before the season ends this year

progress.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
at least we will have made it all the way to november before the season ends this year

True, but last year, they were without J. Staal, Skinner was coming off of a concussion and it was the first year under a new coach, so there was some thoughts that it might get better over time. This year, there is nothing that suggests it will.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
By Thanksgiving we should know if they are planning golf trips.

Have to wonder if RF begins to sale what he can by then or hold out towards the TDL.

I have to think Eric is gone, maybe JML, McC maybe, and Versteeg probable.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
With the way this season has gone I'm just waiting for Eric to inevitably hold his NTC above RF's head resulting in a disappointing trade return.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If Eric continues to play like he has, the return is going to be disappointing no matter what.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
18 GP 4 G 8 A +1

I feel like Estaal is either going to completely burn bridges here or do a quick rental and re-sign in the offseason. I really don't know which but I feel like it'll be extreme one way or the other.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
IMO the home loss to the Flyers pretty much put the nail in the coffin. They are pretty damn terrible.

We are about to play a red hot Leafs team. Yeah, this will go over real well.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
What are Erics numbers?

Eric is on pace for 18 goals for a full 82 game season (provided he doesn't get injured) and 1 of his 4 goals was an EN goal so he has 3 "real" goals through 18 games this season (1 PP, 2 ES).

He also has 4 primary assists (2 pp, 2 ES) and 4 secondary assists (3 ES, 1 3v3).

He is getting over 20 minutes / game TOI, so he's on the ice for 1/3rd of every game, all on even strength and the PP (a team high 3:28/game). So he's on pace for 18 goals (13 without the EN) and about 50 points while playing the most minutes and getting the most PP time...so goals/points wise, both career lows (provided he plays 82 games).

So those are his numbers which aren't very impressive.

Of course, what a player gets at the deadline is more dependent on how many buyers there are and how many players are available.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Unless we're scrutinizing the way in which every other player in the league gets their points, it's not all that fair to do it with Eric. What is fair that you did, is to point out how he's basically being showcased and given juicy minutes to score, and he isn't. I do want to know why the hell they put him on the halfwall on the PP. He should be on the point or down low, where what remains of his strengths can actually be utilized.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Unless we're scrutinizing the way in which every other player in the league gets their points, it's not all that fair to do it with Eric. What is fair that you did, is to point out how he's basically being showcased and given juicy minutes to score, and he isn't. I do want to know why the hell they put him on the halfwall on the PP. He should be on the point or down low, where what remains of his strengths can actually be utilized.

Other than the TOI piece, I really wasn't intending to scrutinize, simply listing the numbers. But that's not even the point. Don't you agree that 4 goals (3 regular+1EN) is disappointing output for Eric, particularly with the ES and PP TOI he gets?

Yes, I realize the whole team is struggling, but we are talking about his potential trade value.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

On the point would showcase his weaknesses IMO. Lack of quick decision making, foot speed, and creativity. And god help the team if the puck snuck by him and he had to turn around and not get beaten by the SH player.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
On the point would showcase his weaknesses IMO. Lack of quick decision making, foot speed, and creativity. And god help the team if the puck snuck by him and he had to turn around and not get beaten by the SH player.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
To be fair, I read someone say that Ryan Getzlaf should be more relaxed on the ice now that he got his first goal -- an empty net goal. Apparently they do matter. :sarcasm:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

Sooo... down low or not out there at all?

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Ya'll do realize that Eric is just going to get a big injury days before the deadline, right?

I mean that would be so Canes like.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Was wondering what peoples thoughts were on Francis's interview in the N&O.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article45331311.html

Francis, in an interview Wednesday, said he believes Canes coach Bill Peters and his staff have done a good job in handling the team and keeping it competitive.

“I think we’re a well-coached team,” Francis said. “I think you see that on a night-in, night-out basis. It’s more a matter of executing properly and more consistently.”

“The frustrating thing for us is that in five of our losses (this season) we clearly were the better team but did not win,” Francis said. “That’s 10 points. That’s the difference of where we are in the standings and where we could be.

“I also know if if’s and but’s were candy nuts, we’d all have a Merry Christmas. This is an outcome-based industry and you have to win.”

Francis noted the Canes have been limiting teams to low amounts of shots.

“We’re outplaying teams but not scoring goals,” Francis said. “The ones we give up kill us.”

Francis pointed out that both goaltenders have save percentages of below .900 — Cam Ward at .898 and Eddie Lack at .861.

“Our goaltending has not been horrible but it needs to be better,” he said. “You can’t win in this league when you’re under .900.”

Francis believes the Canes’ five-on-five scoring will improve based on the analytics and past performances of players. He noted Jeff Skinner is converting six percent of his shots where he historically has been better than 10 percent.

“You keep telling yourself in time they’ll go in,” Francis said. “You look at the numbers and it tells us things should change.

“But you can’t just sit here and wait and hope it will change. You look at the numbers and say it should, but it hasn’t.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad