Value of: 14th OA + Ryan Callahan

Roughly6Owls

Dec 11, 2015
Can't trade for nothing.

Future Considerations is often nothing.

Re: Callahan, a team like Calgary or Carolina that's got a young core with management looking for veteran #grit and #leadership might be interested. Calgary might have to lose Brouwer in the expansion draft to be interested, considering he's basically another version of Callahan and they're tight to the cap, but Carolina might be able to fit Callahan (although they've got a lot of young defensemen and Aho/Lindholm/Skinner to re-sign before he expires) without losing anyone.

I doubt the return from either team would be large considering you're looking at dumping just under 16m of actual dollars in Callahan's contract -- the return probably isn't much more than a marginal prospect or something -- but the one thing that is appealing re: the Callahan contract is that you've got a slight salary benefit for his remaining term. He's owed 6.5m next season and 4.7m for the next two, which means you're paying 500k less over the three seasons than his 5.8m cap hit.

In a vacuum, what kind of return is Tampa looking for? Are you expecting to get something like two seconds or a second and a third for 14+Callahan, or are you expecting to get a late first rounder?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Future Considerations is often nothing.

Re: Callahan, a team like Calgary or Carolina that's got a young core with management looking for veteran #grit and #leadership might be interested. Calgary might have to lose Brouwer in the expansion draft to be interested, considering he's basically another version of Callahan and they're tight to the cap, but Carolina might be able to fit Callahan (although they've got a lot of young defensemen and Aho/Lindholm/Skinner to re-sign before he expires) without losing anyone.

I doubt the return from either team would be large considering you're looking at dumping just under 16m of actual dollars in Callahan's contract -- the return probably isn't much more than a marginal prospect or something -- but the one thing that is appealing re: the Callahan contract is that you've got a slight salary benefit for his remaining term. He's owed 6.5m next season and 4.7m for the next two, which means you're paying 500k less over the three seasons than his 5.8m cap hit.

In a vacuum, what kind of return is Tampa looking for? Are you expecting to get something like two seconds or a second and a third for 14+Callahan, or are you expecting to get a late first rounder?

I mean - I could see it being a lower pick or a prospect. I doubt a deal happens frankly, because 16m is a lot of money and I completely neglected that when I was thinking of it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils could definitely fit him in, both on the depth chart and AAV, but his salary is a concern. Not sure there's any trade Tampa Bay would be willing to do that would make it worth it for the Devils. If the above quoted post is correct, Lightning might be better off dumping Callahan next off-season when his salary is ~1 million less than his cap hit, unless there is a dire need to do so now.

I don't see us offering more than the #38 pick and possibly someone like Noesen for a package of #14 + Callahan.

Another idea would be a Cammalleri for Callahan swap, but I'm assuming the solely purpose of trading Callahan is maximum cap relief.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Devils could definitely fit him in, both on the depth chart and AAV, but his salary is a concern. Not sure there's any trade Tampa Bay would be willing to do that would make it worth it for the Devils. If the above quoted post is correct, Lightning might be better off dumping Callahan next off-season when his salary is ~1 million less than his cap hit, unless there is a dire need to do so now.

I don't see us offering more than the #38 pick and possibly someone like Noesen for a package of #14 + Callahan.

Another idea would be a Cammalleri for Callahan swap, but I'm assuming the solely purpose of trading Callahan is maximum cap relief.

I don't think moving him is crucial this offseason - we should be able to fit RFAs in as it stands and Vegas will take *somebody* who will likely give us a bit of relief. I thought the opportunity was we are (hopefully) not going to have this high of a pick again for some time, so moving an albatross contract would be worth it.

Next offseason makes more sense in a couple of ways. First - his NMC becomes a limited NTC. Second, this is his final high dollar year on the contract - over the last two years he is a bit over a million under his cap (which while overpaid, is not as horribly so). And third - taking on two years of a bad contract is a hell of a lot more palatable than three years of a bad contract. Finally - there's a chance he has a good season - if he gets back to being a 20g, 50p player then his deal doesn't seem so bad.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think moving him is crucial this offseason - we should be able to fit RFAs in as it stands and Vegas will take *somebody* who will likely give us a bit of relief. I thought the opportunity was we are (hopefully) not going to have this high of a pick again for some time, so moving an albatross contract would be worth it.

Next offseason makes more sense in a couple of ways. First - his NMC becomes a limited NTC. Second, this is his final high dollar year on the contract - over the last two years he is a bit over a million under his cap (which while overpaid, is not as horribly so). And third - taking on two years of a bad contract is a hell of a lot more palatable than three years of a bad contract. Finally - there's a chance he has a good season - if he gets back to being a 20g, 50p player then his deal doesn't seem so bad.

I just don't see what would work for Tampa, because a deal like this would likely be to move back in the draft and pick up some assets. The teams that would fit him in are in the early 30s range; there doesn't seem to be any bottom teams with a first round pick in the last third of the draft.

From a Devils perspective, I'd probably move DSP + Devils 2nd + Nashville 4th to move up to #14 and take on Callahan, then again I'm not paying the bills. I just don't see the desperation for Tampa to do that, especially if they'd be able to fit everyone in. They're better off keeping him and moving him next-offseason when he's far more palatable.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I don't think moving him is crucial this offseason - we should be able to fit RFAs in as it stands and Vegas will take *somebody* who will likely give us a bit of relief.

Just out of curiosity, how much relief are you expecting to get from Vegas? I certainly don't want/expect McPhee to pick Garrison, so unless you dangle Killorn and McPhee bites, any TB player we take would likely be around $1-2M (I'd prefer we take Koekkoek, and he doesn't even count toward your cap at the moment!).

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Just out of curiosity, how much relief are you expecting to get from Vegas? I certainly don't want/expect McPhee to pick Garrison, so unless you dangle Killorn and McPhee bites, any TB player we take would likely be around $1-2M (I'd prefer we take Koekkoek, and he doesn't even count toward your cap at the moment!).

Ranging for 2m from Namestnikov to 4.whatever for Killorn. Those are the two I would expect to be taken (depending on which Y exposes). If you take Koekkoek that would be a mistake, frankly.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I mean, the idea is we're not getting much back. Just if there are takers, and if there are what is it worth.

I know Datsyuk's contract wasn't as long, but I think as a foundation that deal kind of gives a blueprint. If he and the 16th returned the 20th and a late second to literally just be dead cap space for a year, Callahan + the pick probably returns some asset of value.

No, it doesn't work as a blueprint. Dead player deals work if they are short-term (Datsyuk) or if they involve a player who is LTIRetired (Savard, et al). Neither is the case for Callahan. He is simply an overpaid player who is often too injured to provide play but not injured enough to be LTIRetired. The big issue there, and the reason why the Datsyuk deal isn't an appropriate blueprint, is because a team can bank on their roster and payouts a year in advance but can't count on being a bottomed-out, under-cap team 3 years out. Taking on a 3 year cap dump who isn't guaranteed to LTIRetire is a big risk for most teams.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
How about Pouliot ? He makes less money and is signed for 2 years more instead of 3 . Cost Tampa the the 14th over all to save a year and about 1.5 million in cap space or the next 2 years .

Edmonton does this as the get their 3rd line C . That fit Chia type of player to a T . Edmonton can then look to move RNH/Eberle in a trade for a RHD . It also save Edmonton some cap once they move a 6 million player ...probably would be able to do a Vegas deal for a D man . It also saves us from over paying Russell . Rumours are he looking for 4 + on a long term deal ,

Maroon McD Puljujarvi
Lucic Draisaitl Eberle/ RNH
Cagguila Callahan Kassian
Slepyshev Letestu Pitlick

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Trade from Eberle/RNH
Nurse Benning
Reinhart

Pay Vegas to take Fayne and we opened a lot of cap space

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad