Value of: 14th OA + Ryan Callahan

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Obviously depending on Cally waiving his NMC, but packaging him with the 14th overall with no retention, what does it fetch?

He has 4 years left at 5.8m. Does a team like Vegas, or a team with space like Phoenix or Carolina, take on Cally's contract for another draft pick, and what do they send the other way?

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Obviously depending on Cally waiving his NMC, but packaging him with the 14th overall with no retention, what does it fetch?

He has 4 years left at 5.8m. Does a team like Vegas, or a team with space like Phoenix or Carolina, take on Cally's contract for another draft pick, and what do they send the other way?

Future considerations?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He has 3 years left. Also has a full NMC so doubt he waives.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

I offered something similar on the Bolts forums and it was turned down.

I offered either Callahan + 14th ovr + 2nd in 2018 for Ashton Sautner or Callahan (2M retained) + 14th overall for Ashton Sautner + 64th overall pick + 3rd in 2018

Sautner is a career meh AHLer (unless he has some miracle development) with 2 years left. Solely for contracts purposes.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He has 3 years left. Also has a full NMC so doubt he waives.

You're right. As to waiving NMC - maybe - obviously this is a circumstance where we're assuming he would.

And I think the package is a *little* more than future considerations. But if not I would probably still pull the trigger, frankly.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I offered something similar on the Bolts forums and it was turned down.

I offered either Callahan + 14th ovr + 2nd in 2018 for Ashton Sautner or Callahan (2M retained) + 14th overall for Ashton Sautner + 64th overall pick + 3rd in 2018

Sautner is a career meh AHLer (unless he has some miracle development) with 2 years left. Solely for contracts purposes.

I guess I'm kind of confused as to why the second value has pieces coming back to Tampa (2 3rds), while the first doesn't. Is the 2m in cap the difference between us adding a 2nd and us receiving 2 3rds?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
14th overall in a weak draft already has very little value, Plus adding an oft injured Callahan doubt you get much for this.

I mean, the idea is we're not getting much back. Just if there are takers, and if there are what is it worth.

I know Datsyuk's contract wasn't as long, but I think as a foundation that deal kind of gives a blueprint. If he and the 16th returned the 20th and a late second to literally just be dead cap space for a year, Callahan + the pick probably returns some asset of value.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're right. As to waiving NMC - maybe - obviously this is a circumstance where we're assuming he would.

And I think the package is a *little* more than future considerations. But if not I would probably still pull the trigger, frankly.

I don't think it's a wise business decision for Tampa to move a contract they really don't need to move right now, and to sacrifice picks in the process. Let him play out his contract or at least to his final year, where a buyout makes more sense, and use that money to give Kucherov his raise.

14th overall in a weak draft already has very little value, Plus adding an oft injured Callahan doubt you get much for this.

Often? He had one injury with Tampa, was a big one sure, but medical staff decisions set him back this season so his career would not be effected and could make a full recovery next year.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
That is one ugly contract and he's coming off major surgery and just 10 goals/28 points in 73 games on a stacked Lightning team in his last full season. Oooof.

Even non-competing teams such as NJ, Arizona or Carolina that could easily absorb the cap hit for the next year or two have to be worried about year 3 when they may be competitive and have that $5.8MM anchor with a 35-36 year old Callahan. Plus, he's still owed another $15.9MM in salary over the next 3 years.

That's a hefty price to pay for a draft pick, unless Callahan really turns his game around which is far from a sure thing.

I don't think the first rounder is enough to move that contract.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's a hefty price to pay for a draft pick, unless Callahan really turns his game around which is far from a sure thing.

The odds are he will fully recover, and play to form or close to it. There was a lot that went on, and don't think everyone here knows the full story of the injury and the setbacks and whatnot.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I guess I'm kind of confused as to why the second value has pieces coming back to Tampa (2 3rds), while the first doesn't. Is the 2m in cap the difference between us adding a 2nd and us receiving 2 3rds?

Like I said both these offers were turned down by every poster that responded on the TB forum.

2M x 3 is a lot of money and cap space. I figured they'd need a big incentive to hold that. Keeping what probably will be a late 2nd (I expect TB to make the playoffs next season) and adding 2 early 3rds should be a big enough incentive. But by all means if its to much of an incentive I'd gladly offer less :laugh:

For Vancouver this brings his cap hit down to 3.8M which if he can return to a 30-40 point player isn't too bad. Makes it much easier to trade him for the Canucks in his final year. With 1.3Mish retained he would be a great pickup for the playoffs at 2.5M.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I mean, the idea is we're not getting much back. Just if there are takers, and if there are what is it worth.

I know Datsyuk's contract wasn't as long, but I think as a foundation that deal kind of gives a blueprint. If he and the 16th returned the 20th and a late second to literally just be dead cap space for a year, Callahan + the pick probably returns some asset of value.

What hurts you with Callahan though is his NMC, He would need to move it and depending on what teams he would accept a deal to will depend on what return you get. There might be a few takers just depends if Callahan has any desire to go to said team. I guess it would have to be based that he's willing to accept a trade to any team out there and we all know that wont happen.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hopefully he likes gambling, we can ship him off to vegas

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't think it's a wise business decision for Tampa to move a contract they really don't need to move right now, and to sacrifice picks in the process. Let him play out his contract or at least to his final year, where a buyout makes more sense, and use that money to give Kucherov his raise.

I get you have a dog in this fight because you love Cally, but that stance doesn't make sense. 5.8 million for a guy who has not performed is something you move when you have an opportunity. This is a weak draft, and the guy at 14th probably won't be an impact player. We have a deep prospect pool with players that, after the past year of development, probably project to the same rough area that a player picked in that position would project to be. We're not a team that needs a draft pick to come in and fill a hole in our roster. And buying out another contract and carrying two years of dead cap space, while we're still carrying Carle's cap on top of it - that just don't make no sense.

6 million in extra space gives us a lot of flexibility in filling the holes in our roster.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

But Datsyuk is retired so I believe no real dollars are being paid out to him. That makes a world of a difference as its strictly just a cap dump. Arizona always needs cap dumps to make the floor so being able to take on 7.5M without paying a single cent is huge for them

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That is one ugly contract and he's coming off major surgery and just 10 goals/28 points in 73 games on a stacked Lightning team in his last full season. Oooof.

Even non-competing teams such as NJ, Arizona or Carolina that could easily absorb the cap hit for the next year or two have to be worried about year 3 when they may be competitive and have that $5.8MM anchor with a 35-36 year old Callahan. Plus, he's still owed another $15.9MM in salary over the next 3 years.

The real money value is something I didn't consider when thinking this up, honestly. Good point. Datsyuk was just cap space.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Often? He had one injury with Tampa, was a big one sure, but medical staff decisions set him back this season so his career would not be effected and could make a full recovery next year.

He missed 64 games this year and 9 last year he's had more then one injury in Tampa.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He missed 64 games this year and 9 last year he's had more then one injury in Tampa.

That was from one injury. A torn hip. This year there was scar tissue around the hip, and a stitch on his bone causing a set back in his rehab. But it's all from the initial injury/surgery. Did Tampa's medical staff mess up? I don't know. But I am certainly questioning some of their decisions. Too many players with setbacks this year or came back too soon. (Stamkos, Paquette, Johnson)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Why would any young, building or rebuilding team want Cally? Established, contending teams can't take on his cap.

You aren't getting anybody to take on that contract without paying a high price.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
I would give your Jordan Subban For Callahan+14

Subban seems to have no future with the Canucks anyways

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Why would a guy with a NMC accept a trade from a non income tax state like Florida to anywhere other than Florida? Cally was shot when he left NY and he knew it. I think he'd rather LTIR than accept a trade that coats him that much money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad