Prospect Info: 149th - Jarret Tyszka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We've signed worst. I don't understand if we don't unless he has some serious health issues.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
We've signed worst. I don't understand if we don't unless he has some serious health issues.

Well he missed 3 months for a concussion.

My guess is we want to sign him to a AHL deal only for 1 year and not ready to commit for 3 years.

We weren't sure about Thrower in 2014 because of injury and he signed on May 31... He ended up playing 9 games in the AHL.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Some serious thought needs to be made towards our 50 contracts moving forward. We have a clutter of prospects so we need to be careful.

- Currently 32 contracts.
- Add contracts to Kulak, Armia, Lehkonen, and maybe a back-up.
- Then who do we try to bring back? Weal, Benn, Folin, Hudon, Thompson, Reilly
- AHL players. Are McCarron, Audette, Shinkaruk, Olofsson, Quellet, Lernout back?

Usually you want to stay at 45, 46, or 47 contracts. After Kulak, Armia, Lehkonen, that's 10 or 12 more contracts. Before you consider who we sign, who are we not re-signing? That's what we need to figure out first.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Some serious though needs to be made towards our 50 contracts moving forward. We have a clutter of prospects so we need to be careful.

- Then who do we try to bring back? Weal, Benn, Folin, Hudon, thompson, Reilly
- AHL players. Are McCarron, Audette, Shinkaruk, Olofsson, Quellet, Lernout back

Usually you want to stay at 45, 46, or 47 contracts. After Kulak, Armia, Lehkonen, that's 10 or 12 more contracts.

Before you consider who we sign, who are we not signing? That's what we need to figure out first.

Agree. Then let's wait for Tyszka to return to the draft and not be picked. Offer him AHL deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agree. Then let's wait for Tyszka to return to the draft and no be picked. Offer him AHL deal.

There is still hope we can sign him. We just need to figure out who we want to let go first. The other factor in all of this is we have 4 prospects turning pro. Poehling, Brook, Suzuki, Primeau. That's a lot of rookies. Then add 2nd years for Evans and Vejdemo. Not sure what is the smart number in terms of adding rookies to the Laval roster. But yes, Poehling might start with the Habs.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Some serious thought needs to be made towards our 50 contracts moving forward. We have a clutter of prospects so we need to be careful.

- AHL players. Are McCarron, Audette, Shinkaruk, Olofsson, Quellet, Lernout back?

Usually you want to stay at 45, 46, or 47 contracts. After Kulak, Armia, Lehkonen, that's 10 or 12 more contracts. Before you consider who we sign, who are we not re-signing? That's what we need to figure out first.

If he signs a two-way deal, does that count on the 50 contracts limit if he plays only in the AHL?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he signs a two-way deal, does that count on the 50 contracts limit if he plays only in the AHL?

I believe it does count. Only AHL contracts don't count. Belzile for example. He lead our Laval team in points and I don't see his contract listed on cap friendly

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

I'd offer a contract to Weal, Folin and Thompson if we can't do better. Hudon, you have to let him go. Same for Reilly.
AHL: McCarron, I have him back. Same with Olofsson. Audette, Shinkaruk and Lernout are out for me. Ouellet you offer him something....but chances are he'll go elsewhere.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
The Habs already have Alzner and Sklenicka signed and bound for the AHL next season, unless Alzner is dealt or bought out. If I'm not mistaken Sklenicka also has a Euro out clause, or was that Moravcik that had that? Anyway, assuming neither of those guys move in the offseason, Laval will have two LDs already under contract. Not sure if Olofsson or Ouellet will be brought back, but they are both RFAs and I could see it happening. Victor Mete is the only signed LD in Montreal. Reilly and Kulak are RFAs and Benn is a UFA. Also have to consider the possibility of the Habs adding a LD in free agency or through trade. Scott Walford has looked better than Tyszka this year and needs a contract or he re-enters the draft. I think Bergevin is weighing his options. I think he'd like to have Ouellet back as depth and for Laval, and would like another look at Olofsson since he only played a couple games this season. It doesn't leave much room for both Tyszka and Walford.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I'd offer a contract to Weal, Folin and Thompson if we can't do better. Hudon, you have to let him go. Same for Reilly.
AHL: McCarron, I have him back. Same with Olofsson. Audette, Shinkaruk and Lernout are out for me. Ouellet you offer him something....but chances are he'll go elsewhere.

If you're willing to let Hudon go, why not sign him and expose him to waivers? Seems like Laval could use some scoring.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think there is room if we let a few guys go. Then what happens when Romanov, Ylonen, Ikonen, Olofsson want to make the trip overseas. It's interesting to try to play armchair GM and evaluate how we manage our contract limit. It's been long time since we had prospects like this and usually the past, we never had enough good prospects so the minute we have a guy like Tyska, we signed him. Not so sure it's that easy today.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Check in his actual physical tests (updated) and let the medical team say the last word.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs already have Alzner and Sklenicka signed and bound for the AHL next season, unless Alzner is dealt or bought out. If I'm not mistaken Sklenicka also has a Euro out clause, or was that Moravcik that had that? Anyway, assuming neither of those guys move in the offseason, Laval will have two LDs already under contract. Not sure if Olofsson or Ouellet will be brought back, but they are both RFAs and I could see it happening. Victor Mete is the only signed LD in Montreal. Reilly and Kulak are RFAs and Benn is a UFA. Also have to consider the possibility of the Habs adding a LD in free agency or through trade. Scott Walford has looked better than Tyszka this year and needs a contract or he re-enters the draft. I think Bergevin is weighing his options. I think he'd like to have Ouellet back as depth and for Laval, and would like another look at Olofsson since he only played a couple games this season. It doesn't leave much room for both Tyszka and Walford.

Well said! It's not as easy as it seems. The entire roster (Habs and Rockets) needs to be evaluated before we make a move and offer contracts to grade C assets in Tyszka and Walford (fringe grade B to some).

The other factor is how many rookies do we insert in Laval at once. We already know we have 4. Is adding 6 rookies a good situation? :dunno:

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Well said! It's not as easy as it seems. The entire roster (Habs and Rockets) needs to be evaluated before we make a move and offer contracts to grade C assets in Tyszka and Walford (fringe grade B to some).

The other factor is how many rookies do we insert in Laval at once. We already know we have 4. Is adding 6 rookies a good situation? :dunno:

At the same time, Walford and Tyszka could begin the season in the ECHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At the same time, Walford and Tyszka could begin the season in the ECHL.

True dat! But then we still need to evaluate the overall 50 contracts. I think there is room but I'm no expert at this. It's not easy to manage. Once you sign the contract, you are stuck with it

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It depends if it's a Two-Way NHL deal or Two-Way AHL deal.

Two-Way NHL deal counts against the 50, because it's an NHL contract. The two-way only affects his pay. He's paid one salary in the NHL and another in the AHL.

Two-Way AHL deal does not count on the 50 because it's not an NHL contract. And the two-way AHL deal means the player is paid one salary in the AHL and another in the ECHL.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
It depends if it's a Two-Way NHL deal or Two-Way AHL deal.

Two-Way NHL deal counts against the 50, because it's an NHL contract. The two-way only affects his pay. He's paid one salary in the NHL and another in the AHL.

Two-Way AHL deal does not count on the 50 because it's not an NHL contract. And the two-way AHL deal means the player is paid one salary in the AHL and another in the ECHL.

True. So the only thing left to know is what Tyszka is willing to accept. Does he has a NHL contract in hand or not.

One thing is sure, I prefer Tyszka potential over Walford's.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If you're willing to let Hudon go, why not sign him and expose him to waivers? Seems like Laval could use some scoring.

We were talking about the 50-contract limit. If I have better players in mind, I won't spend it on Hudon. But my main point is that I think the kid deserves to look elsewhere. Elsewhere meaning....Tampa Bay...lol

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
We were talking about the 50-contract limit. But my main point is that I think the kid deserves to look elsewhere. Elsewhere meaning....Tampa Bay...lol
That's the development high-school that's everyone is dreaming about when they're drafted by the Montreal Canadiens.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
True. So the only thing left to know is what Tyszka is willing to accept. Does he has a NHL contract in hand or not.

One thing is sure, I prefer Tyszka potential over Walford's.

Same here. Just his mobility sells me on him more. I know he has other qualities, but he's the type of defenseman made for today's NHL.

I do recall that in his draft year, he missed a significant amount of time due to a shoulder injury. So even when they selected him, they knew he had a big injury. Which may explain why he went in the 5th Round and not sooner.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I've always liked Tyska's tool box better than Walford's as well, but his development has been stunted by injuries to say the least, can't blame 'em for hesitating.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
The thing with Tzyka is that spent a couple of months with the big team for his rehab this season, so maybe they saw something they didn't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad