Prospect Info: #143 Marian Studenic (RW)

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I have been watching as much Studenic video as I can, either this kid was completely misused last year or I am missing something. His skillset is amazing. the combination of speed, shiftiness, hands and shot have me to believe he will the the steal of the draft for NJ and will outproduce all but McLeod in the OHL this year.

This looks like a highlight reel of a top 30 pick.

I posted some statistics earlier in the thread. He only received a point on about 10% of the team's power play goals. That's indicative that he was likely a fringe player on the PP, or not very productive on it, I guess. He also was very streaky. Sure that drops a player a little, but most hockey players are streaky, or go cold. The ones who aren't get drafted pretty highly. But then again, you can argue that his transition to NA had an impact on his production.

I like the fact that he had pro experience in Slovakia, and was able to hold his own. Also, his speed and skill is evident in that video. He plays north-south game it looks like mostly, so that's what Shero and Co. are aiming for. It looks like he was top-90 NA ranked skaters at the Mid-term, and dropped just outside of the top-100.

Love this pick, as well as many other. Wonder why Shero and Castron drafted Senn ahead of him. Not sure he was on a lot of team's radars.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

This guy has done quite a few of these nice little graphics showing a baseline of where these guys stand among their peers. For where we got him Studenic looks pretty good from that chart. Could have a big year with the Bulldogs as he might have an expanded role and he'll have his first NA season under his belt.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I have been watching as much Studenic video as I can, either this kid was completely misused last year or I am missing something. His skillset is amazing. the combination of speed, shiftiness, hands and shot have me to believe he will the the steal of the draft for NJ and will outproduce all but McLeod in the OHL this year.

This looks like a highlight reel of a top 30 pick.

Interesting comment. Thing that jumps out at me from the clips, is that he seems to perform well in tight spaces. He doesn't seem to need a lot of room to get a shot off.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Looks like he could be a very effective bottom-six forward down the road.

He seems to have good size, good speed, good puck protection, and enough skill to contribute offensively. There may be an off-chance he develops his offensive game and becomes a nice complimentary forward, but the most realistic expectation would probably be a solid fourth line forward.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
IDK, looks to me a lot more like a boom/bust prospect who may never play in the NHL or may become a top-6 regular. Just depends on his consistency and how big a step forward he can take this year.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Seems like a pretty good complimentary player. Seemed to always be in the right place, set up some pretty nice plays, used his size really well. Was surprised, I would never have guessed that that was Studenic. Didnt seem like a highlight reel you would see from a 5th round pick. He made some really nice plays + work in tight spaces was really good. He kind of has this release that is tight with his body and is also very quick which helps get those tough shots off

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don't see bottom 6 or complimentary player at all. I see a player who either plays 2nd line winger in all offensive situations or complete bust.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I don't see bottom 6 or complimentary player at all. I see a player who either plays 2nd line winger in all offensive situations or complete bust.

Sorry lol, I misused complimentary player. I meant the kind of guy that can play next to a good player and be able to compliment him well lol

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Interesting comment. Thing that jumps out at me from the clips, is that he seems to perform well in tight spaces. He doesn't seem to need a lot of room to get a shot off.

and go top shelf, or pick a corner, while in tight, not just getting a shot off.

So good feet and hands in those spots.

Thought he skated well in open ice as well

but I didn't see much by way of puck handling skills.

Much of those goals was Stud's getting set up and him just burying it, or burying a rebound or a tip.

Also 12 assists? Raises some questions for sure which a goal scoring highlight reel will not answer.

So I do see some skills, but I see, or assume some issues as well.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA

At the development camp, he was one of the most physical guys on the ice. Putting the body on everyone and being an all around pest. I'm not sure if that changes your mind, but I see him as a productive bottom 6 forward.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

You watch him a lot more than I do, but that highlight reel looks like a guy who has a lot of the skills that you can't teach. He has a long reach, ability to get open for scoring chances and finish, good puck protection, etc. I don't see where the 2nd line or bust mentality comes in -- that's something I expect for a guy like Bratt.

That highlight reel looks very Zubrus-esque to me. Obviously, Zubrus is much bigger and his calling card was his work along the boards, but Studenic looks like he has a lot of the other traits that made Zubrus effective.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
You running UBlock Origin? I was having the problem too. I had to unblock s93.github.io (I think) to get it running again.

I am indeed. that unblock didnt seem to help though :/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad