Prospect Info: #143 Marian Studenic (RW)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Wow you think Bastian has limited skills? Fitzgerald doesn’t seem to see it that way judging by the prospect article of late. You surely haven’t watched these kids play much

i mean fitzgerald might be a little biased. i'll admit i haven't seen much of bastian, but going off of his draft profile and stats, i'm leaning towards him turning out to be a very one dimensional player. that's not necessarily a bad thing though, maroon is proof of that

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The junior players he is competing with for jobs as future NHLers are almost all playing pro at his age.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "his age", but many junior players play 2 more seasons in juniors after being drafted. And his draft class will be the guys he is most closely inline with age wise.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If Bastian has a wide array of skills, it would be nice if he started to show them in game action.

He really doesn't.

He's a run of the mill grinding net front presence

I'm a Castron guy but he botched this pick.
Lots of better players were drafted after Bastian that round .

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Clearly the team saw something they liked in Bastian. That said, at some point one of the posters here commented specifically on his game in Binghamton and said something along the lines of he didn't know what NJ might have seen in the player. It's possible the pick was a straight up whiff. It's also possible he was just as good in juniors as he is now. In that case, i get it. Sometimes a player can look good against a given level of competition but doesn't have anything left in the tank to take it to a higher level. As for Studenic, we'll see. I'll be cautiously optimistic and suggest that if he makes the Binghamton roster next season it's because they think he can play at that level and not just be a healthy scratch waiting for injuries to pile up.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Maroon scored a TON more in juniors and his rookie AHL season.

20, so is Barzal if you want to make reaches for comparisons.

i'm not making comparisons to him as a player, i'm making comparisons to his style. you implied he shouldn't have been picked because he's just a grinder/net front presence, and i'm saying that even if that's true, those types of players have value.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
i'm not making comparisons to him as a player, i'm making comparisons to his style. you implied he shouldn't have been picked because he's just a grinder/net front presence, and i'm saying that even if that's true, those types of players have value.

I'll agree with that.
I just never liked the actual player picked at that spot and what I've seen thus far in not impressed.

I'd like to be wrong if course .

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I'll agree with that.
I just never liked the actual player picked at that spot and what I've seen thus far in not impressed.

I'd like to be wrong if course .

maybe reuniting him with mcleod in bing will help him? not sure how much the two actually played together, but it can't hurt. better hurry though, mcleod has limited time left down there..

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Speers has improved and has an outside chance of developing into a NHL player.

I don't see Bastian ever getting there, lack of foot speed and limited skills.

I never liked the Bastian pick with Abramov, Dahlen and Kuokk,etc still on the board and said it at the time.

hope Stud adds weight and strength so he can use his high end skill and speed at the next level.

jesus christ dude, do you ever not complain about drafting?

just send in your resume to Shero already.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
jesus christ dude, do you ever not complain about drafting?

just send in your resume to Shero already.

I actually have few criticisms of Castron thus far.

Bastian and Senn were bad picks and I'm on the fence with Mikey too.

But he's killing it otherwise including the promising Studenic

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I actually have few criticisms of Castron thus far.

Bastian and Senn were bad picks and I'm on the fence with Mikey too.

But he's killing it otherwise including the promising Studenic
Stud's has been pretty good for a 5th rounder. But his #'s so far are not exactly "killing it".

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I'm on the fence with Mikey too.

hop down off the fence, friend. nico/mcleod/zacha down the center in a few years will be glorious. although, and i can't quantify this or provide any sound reasoning other than a gut feeling, i really believe zacha will be traded at some point. he strikes me as the type of player to get packaged and dealt once shero has had a chance to properly evaluate the prospects in our system

edit (for @OmNomNom) if studenic was italian, his name might have been stud nico.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
he means castron's drafting thus far

i think it's fair to have a few criticisms on castron - of course, hindsight is 20/20 and he's bound to have misses, but his drafting philosophy is pretty good
I knew what he meant, but I don't see why he'd be high on Stud's but low on Bastian.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I knew what he meant, but I don't see why he'd be high on Stud's but low on Bastian.
mostly because bastian has had a down year in the A, though most of the team has. plus he's hampered with injury.

i think i get the criticism, because right now, we're closer to seeing what bastian is probably going to be, based on AHL production alone, while there's still hope for studenic. idk if that's how his brain works though

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I doubt Studenic plays in the NHL much but I do really like his game from what little I've seen of it. He has an NHL's awareness on the puck and NHL skating ability. Not sure the rest of his game fills out enough for him to get regular NHL time, though. He was another guy who was really coming on at the end of the AHL season - after missing all of January, he had 6 goals in February and seemed to be meshing well with Sharangovich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->