Prospect Info: #143 Marian Studenic (RW)

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Could be said that part of the reason Bing struggled was because of so many kids. and the kids struggled in part because the team struggled. Downward spiral.

Much rather a kid have a big +2 year in juniors then grind it out in Bing. Why rush it?

Probably because they want the kids to learn what kinda of system for them to play, in addition to having more experience and resources in the pros to help them out.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Probably because they want the kids to learn what kinda of system for them to play, in addition to having more experience and resources in the pros to help them out.
Bastian has 17 points in 62 games. A -20 on a horrible team.

I'm sure they figured it was best for his development to be under their watch, but I hope there was a lesson learned with both Bastian and Gignac.

Keep Stud's in juniors.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I'm sure they figured it was best for his development to be under their watch, but I hope there was a lesson learned with both Bastian and Gignac.

Keep Stud's in juniors.

But what do we care if Bastian puts up lots of juniors points or poor AHL points this past season? It’s all about what will help him be the best player he can be 2 or 3 years from now.

We will never know which would have been better for Bastian’s career. Every player is going to be different, so it’s tough for me, not seeing or knowing the player as intimately as the Devils to say which path is better for any individual player.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think in the case of the kids this year they also thought Bingo would be better around them and didn't really anticipate guys like Coleman and Gibbons sticking and thriving on the NHL roster all year. You could even say the same about a guy like Butcher, who wasn't exactly guaranteed a job going into camp.

To me if a guy's dominating juniors he's got nothing more to gain down there. If he's merely good in juniors nothing wrong with keeping him another year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think in the case of the kids this year they also thought Bingo would be better around them and didn't really anticipate guys like Coleman and Gibbons sticking and thriving on the NHL roster all year. You could even say the same about a guy like Butcher, who wasn't exactly guaranteed a job going into camp.

To me if a guy's dominating juniors he's got nothing more to gain down there. If he's merely good in juniors nothing wrong with keeping him another year
Ya, and none of Bastian, Gignac or Stud's dominated in their +1 year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But what do we care if Bastian puts up lots of juniors points or poor AHL points this past season? It’s all about what will help him be the best player he can be 2 or 3 years from now.

We will never know which would have been better for Bastian’s career. Every player is going to be different, so it’s tough for me, not seeing or knowing the player as intimately as the Devils to say which path is better for any individual player.
Welp would you rather a kid play big minutes in all/most situations and gain confidence in his offensive skills. Or play a grinder role, with no specialty team minutes in the AHL?

Granted we don't know how Bastian would have done otherwise, it's not like he had even a good year in his +1 year, but I think it's pretty hard to find positives from his year in the AHL.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Welp would you rather a kid play big minutes in all/most situations and gain confidence in his offensive skills. Or play a grinder role, with no specialty team minutes in the AHL?

Granted we don't know how Bastian would have done otherwise, it's not like he had even a good year in his +1 year, but I think it's pretty hard to find positives from his year in the AHL.

I want him to be the best pro he can be in the future. I really don’t care what role or where he played this past season.

The flip side to the gain confidence and learn offense is in Juniors he’s practicing things that will never work against pros. For some guys juniors will be better and for some it will be pros. Seeing poor pro numbers or good juniors numbers won’t tell us which way was more helpful.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Keep Stud's in juniors.

Blake Speers didn't have a good season either, should he have stayed in junior for another season? The Devils could've left him there. Same with Colton White, who had to be sent down to the ECHL at one point during the season.

The jump from junior to the AHL is large and not everyone manages to make it. I agree that judging by Studenic's numbers, I don't know if he should go to the AHL because I'm not sure he'd dress most nights when the team is healthy. But I'd still rather have guys his age in the AHL - now Bastian and Gignac have 2 more years to prove themselves before they become waiver-eligible instead of only having 2 AHL seasons before their waiver clock runs out. Bastian presumably learned a lot from this AHL season, now he knows what to work on this off-season.

Last edited:

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Blake Speers didn't have a good season either, should he have stayed in junior for another season? The Devils could've left him there. Same with Colton White, who had to be sent down to the ECHL at one point during the season.

The jump from junior to the AHL is large and not everyone manages to make it. I agree that judging by Studenic's numbers, I don't know if he should go to the AHL because I'm not sure he'd dress most nights when the team is healthy. But I'd still rather have guys his age in the AHL - now Bastian and Gignac have 2 more years to prove themselves before they become waiver-eligible instead of only having 2 AHL seasons before their waiver clock runs out. Bastian presumably learned a lot from this AHL season, now he knows what to work on this off-season.

Also you have to take into the fact that even junior teams dont always want to keep players either and want their own other players to take the reins. Which I think Speers and White should have been pretty good in the ahl but have not been, and I doubt that the would have had the same top line roles at their junior teams perhaps even. Especially a player like White who seems to be a bust already

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Also you have to take into the fact that even junior teams dont always want to keep players either and want their own other players to take the reins. Which I think Speers and White should have been pretty good in the ahl but have not been, and I doubt that the would have had the same top line roles at their junior teams perhaps even. Especially a player like White who seems to be a bust already

This is way underestimating the jump between junior and the AHL. White would've no doubt been a top defender in the OHL this season. Speers would've been a top winger. Look at the results of overage players versus how they typically do in the AHL - a lot of guys who dominate in an overage junior season never even develop into average AHLers. White probably didn't get worse, he just didn't get better to the extent that he could play regularly in the AHL - because it's a large jump between leagues.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
This is way underestimating the jump between junior and the AHL. White would've no doubt been a top defender in the OHL this season. Speers would've been a top winger. Look at the results of overage players versus how they typically do in the AHL - a lot of guys who dominate in an overage junior season never even develop into average AHLers. White probably didn't get worse, he just didn't get better to the extent that he could play regularly in the AHL - because it's a large jump between leagues.

I'm certainly no expert on developmental leagues, but I thought major juniors is for young players to have a chance to to play high level organized hockey against guys that are not big enough to kill them, and the AHL is a finishing league for players that have proven their chops and now need to prove they can play against men.

Speers, Bastian, Gignac, and White have not succeeded in the AHL to this point, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have been sent there. Based on what I've read and heard about Studenic, he has proven his ability against the kids in the CHL, even if he hasn't dominated it. It sounds like what he needs to do is get bigger and play against men.

Reactions: Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm certainly no expert on developmental leagues, but I thought major juniors is for young players to have a chance to to play high level organized hockey against guys that are not big enough to kill them, and the AHL is a finishing league for players that have proven their chops and now need to prove they can play against men.

Speers, Bastian, Gignac, and White have not succeeded in the AHL to this point, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have been sent there. Based on what I've read and heard about Studenic, he has proven his ability against the kids in the CHL, even if he hasn't dominated it. It sounds like what he needs to do is get bigger and play against men.

Major juniors is a place for young players to play so that junior hockey teams can generate a profit. Developmentally, it only has tangential relation to the NHL. While NHL teams can and do communicate with junior teams about the players they've drafted, there's not a ton of motivation for junior teams to listen to what they have to say.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I think it's clear that Shero and company want to build a similar identity in Binghamton, as they have in here in NJ. It started this year with Speers, Bastian and Gignac. I'll give it a wash overall, Speers has been picking it up as of late, Gignac was hurt, and Bastian's game as a power forward is probably the least translatable to the pro level. Also, Shero started getting them some veteran pieces as the year went on. Next year, they'll add more key pieces with Seney, Studenic, maybe McLeod. Also, you have Boqvist, Zetterlund, and Popugaev (?) as guys too that could be added in the next year or two there. That's a gross talent infusion, as long as they can keep some solid vets. If Quenneville hangs there any longer, he'll be a major vet, and not all of these guys are gonna be on the pro team, therefore will develop into vets for Binghamton in the future.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think it's clear that Shero and company want to build a similar identity in Binghamton, as they have in here in NJ. It started this year with Speers, Bastian and Gignac. I'll give it a wash overall, Speers has been picking it up as of late, Gignac was hurt, and Bastian's game as a power forward is probably the least translatable to the pro level. Also, Shero started getting them some veteran pieces as the year went on. Next year, they'll add more key pieces with Seney, Studenic, maybe McLeod. Also, you have Boqvist, Zetterlund, and Popugaev (?) as guys too that could be added in the next year or two there. That's a gross talent infusion, as long as they can keep some solid vets. If Quenneville hangs there any longer, he'll be a major vet, and not all of these guys are gonna be on the pro team, therefore will develop into vets for Binghamton in the future.

Speers has improved and has an outside chance of developing into a NHL player.

I don't see Bastian ever getting there, lack of foot speed and limited skills.

I never liked the Bastian pick with Abramov, Dahlen and Kuokk,etc still on the board and said it at the time.

hope Stud adds weight and strength so he can use his high end skill and speed at the next level.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

If there was an option for another year of Juniors? Yeah, maybe. It certainly helped boost Blandisi.

But I think Bastian def would have been better off in juniors this year. And I think Stud's will def be better off in juniors next year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If there was an option for another year of Juniors? Yeah, maybe. It certainly helped boost Blandisi.

But I think Bastian def would have been better off in juniors this year. And I think Stud's will def be better off in juniors next year.

There is a reason why teams almost never send players back to junior when they are 20. A guy like Speers has done all he can in junior, having him dominate that league for another year makes 0 sense. He wasn't projected to be a player who plays on the PP in the NHL and his waiver clock has already started - he won't learn anything in Sault Ste Marie. He's already spent 2 years as a top player in that league.

Bastian in Binghamton, as far as I can tell, got PP2 minutes and played a fair bit at ES, which is what he would do if he ever made the NHL, probably. To me, if you can't give a 19 year old 3 years in the AHL before possibly subjecting him to waivers, you probably shouldn't sign him at all. Studenic is right on that line.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There is a reason why teams almost never send players back to junior when they are 20. A guy like Speers has done all he can in junior, having him dominate that league for another year makes 0 sense. He wasn't projected to be a player who plays on the PP in the NHL.

Bastian, as far as I can tell, got PP2 minutes and played a fair bit at ES, which is what he would do if he ever made the NHL, probably. To me, if you can't give a 19 year old 3 years in the AHL before possibly subjecting him to waivers, you probably shouldn't sign him at all. Studenic is right on that line.
Speers is really a different subject, in that he is in his +3 year while Bastian Gignac are in their +2 year, while Stud's is a +2 next year.

But they intertwine in that we are talking a whole bunch of young fwd's in Bing. We saw that didn't work well this year, so why add more to the mix when it is not necessary? Especially when Stud's, like Bastian, did not have an overly impressive +1 year in juniors?

Strongly in favor of keeping Stud's in juniors for his +2.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I thought traditionally, a player gets two years in junior after his first draft eligible season before he is considered "overage". I know some players may turn 20 early in that second year as opposed to the end of the year, but I've never considered a 20 year old draft +2 player overage. Has that changed? I think the recent phenomenon of younger players at the AHL level is secondary to younger players having more early success in the NHL as the game changes and as young players are better prepared to make the jump, at least in terms of coaching and training.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Speers is really a different subject, in that he is in his +3 year while Bastian Gignac are in their +2 year, while Stud's is a +2 next year.

But they intertwine in that we are talking a whole bunch of young fwd's in Bing. We saw that didn't work well this year, so why add more to the mix when it is not necessary? Especially when Stud's, like Bastian, did not have an overly impressive +1 year in juniors?

Strongly in favor of keeping Stud's in juniors for his +2.

They're not 'adding more to the mix'. Bastian and Speers and Gignac will be 2nd year AHLers. They should all be decent next season. If Anderson comes, I don't worry about him. There's not really a lot of scuttlebutt about anyone else being added to Binghamton, so Studenic would be the youngest guy and the only 19 year old turning 20 that year.

Studenic won't have a good year in the AHL if he goes, that's a virtual certainty. If he can play 4th line + PK regularly and put up decent numbers for a guy doing that - 5+ goals, 10+ points in 60+ games - that would be a good season, I think.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They're not 'adding more to the mix'. Bastian and Speers and Gignac will be 2nd year AHLers. They should all be decent next season. If Anderson comes, I don't worry about him. There's not really a lot of scuttlebutt about anyone else being added to Binghamton, so Studenic would be the youngest guy and the only 19 year old turning 20 that year.

Studenic won't have a good year in the AHL if he goes, that's a virtual certainty. If he can play 4th line + PK regularly and put up decent numbers for a guy doing that - 5+ goals, 10+ points in 60+ games - that would be a good season, I think.
Studenic would be the more to the mix. That's the point.

And I'd rather he stay in juniors, and try to have a big season, then go see him grind it out on the 4th line in Bng.

Also not sure if I'd expect him to get PK minutes?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I thought traditionally, a player gets two years in junior after his first draft eligible season before he is considered "overage". I know some players may turn 20 early in that second year as opposed to the end of the year, but I've never considered a 20 year old draft +2 player overage. Has that changed? I think the recent phenomenon of younger players at the AHL level is secondary to younger players having more early success in the NHL as the game changes and as young players are better prepared to make the jump, at least in terms of coaching and training.
We've just drafted a fair amount of kids lately who have b-day before Jan 1st, thus can move up to the AHL in their +2 year. But yes, most guys stay 2 years in juniors. Unless the guys are clearly ready, I don't see the need to rush it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think for a player like Speers, he wasnt really going to improve his offensive capabilities much farther in juniors so the AHL was okay for him. And Bastian is kinda Bastian, he is a big kid that needs to adjust to the faster and more precise pro game. Having him flounder around in the carousal of defense that can be junior games and smaller kids may not have helped him too much. But between the two Speers is much more of a disappointment.. in addition to being older and only 12 goals and 7 assists in 61 games? Absolutely horrible.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Just from my one viewing at the prospects game, I remember him being fast and hard to play against. Getting under the other players' skin. I see a Coleman-esque player here.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Speers has improved and has an outside chance of developing into a NHL player.

I don't see Bastian ever getting there, lack of foot speed and limited skills.

I never liked the Bastian pick with Abramov, Dahlen and Kuokk,etc still on the board and said it at the time.

hope Stud adds weight and strength so he can use his high end skill and speed at the next level.
Wow you think Bastian has limited skills? Fitzgerald doesn’t seem to see it that way judging by the prospect article of late. You surely haven’t watched these kids play much

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Studenic would be the more to the mix. That's the point.

And I'd rather he stay in juniors, and try to have a big season, then go see him grind it out on the 4th line in Bng.

Also not sure if I'd expect him to get PK minutes?

His big season wouldn't mean very much as an overager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad