14 straight vs. the Leafs. Matthews was not enough. Patches & Chucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You think I am making up the fact that he is slow? He also got off to a great start this season and has not been the same player in the last 2 months so stats are like box scores, they do not always tell the whole story.

You see, now I know you're making stuff up. If his stats are terrible for the last two months bring them out. I agree with you that he hasn't played up to HIS STANDARDS but no way is he being exploited - your words.

You want an example of Weber's value? Emelin has looked like a top 4 d-man while playing next to that slow-footed Weber. Tonight he was played with the fleet-of-foot Petry, how did Emelin look? Like he belonged in ECHL.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Markov-Weber baby!!!

Not surprised by that. Thought Markov played a real strong game.

That chart pretty much shows how the game went.

Chucky was strong as was Shaw. I thought Hyman was not very good. Too bad Matthews is stuck with him as a winger. Weber had his ooopsy moments especially offensively but defensively he was solid.

Petry and Emelin were pretty terrible, while Beau was quietly effective. Nesterov was ok. He wasn't the strongest on the 1st goal, but it was a fluke bounce too.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Juulsen is more of a Weber type, and he plays on the right side...

Petry? Petry is one of the best skaters on this team and he definitely can rush the puck with no problem, I don't know why he's not doing it more often...

I would say Juulsen is closer to Weber than Petry. Solid defensively, physical, good shot, smart steady D.

Petry is a good skater but he isnt explosive, doesnt have an extra gear, same with Juulsen.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It was quite refreshing to see back and forth hockey with a focus on possession. As this team gets used to Julien's system they should get better. We do need a top 4 pick moving defenseman though as the team doesn't seem to see Beauloeu as the answer and Emelin is not. Also a PMD will work well in Julien's system.

We won a big game here but we need to go on a run. We can't just keep playing .500 hockey.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If that was Subban, he would have gotten a lot of heat. Many times we've seen plays where PK wasn't at fault but because he was in the play, he got blamed.

Yeah like that time where he turned the puck over against colorado and there was like 2 or 3 guys behind him who totally blew their defensive coverage and people blamed for the most part subban.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Nice win, too bad it had to go to OT. No one exceptional except Price, no one super terrible, just enough to win.

OT; I see Elliot still likes to wear his 6 year old girlie socks.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Yeah like that time where he turned the puck over against colorado and there was like 2 or 3 guys behind him who totally blew their defensive coverage and people blamed for the most part subban.

I remember that one. But with Weber, it's Oh, the ice, Galchenyuk, the air! Now, I'm not saying it was Weber's fault, just pointing out how people like to change their tune depending on the player.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Funny how Shaw got up and just embraced Pleks who was probably expecting Shaw to be dead or something....:laugh:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Small sample size but it's blatantly obvious he's feeling good since the Therrien firing. Which was expected. We need him to keep getting better each game until he finds that next level again. These last 4 games are a strong start. He stole the NYR and TO games.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Anybody notice Carey's little celebration after making that huge stop on Matthews in the OT? He looks like he's having fun playing hockey again.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I remember that one. But with Weber, it's Oh, the ice, Galchenyuk, the air! Now, I'm not saying it was Weber's fault, just pointing out how people like to change their tune depending on the player.

Not sure why we can't defend Weber on a very specific play where he's not to blame, without people having to bring Subban in the discussion. The fact that Subban was often unfairly criticized doesn't mean Weber should be blamed because Galchenyuk missed his defensive assignment. Subban wasn't playing tonight so it shouldn't interfere with our analysis of the play.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

giphy.gif

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
With Therrien gone I can actually get Vanek working well in Montreal again. He might be privy to get considering the market and his cap hit. It will be interesting for sure.

and someone posted earlier that MB called Vanek when he signed in Minnesota so there's a good relationship there... Get it done!

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I read in the Feb. 24 Globe & Mail that Pacioretty had 7 goals in the past 10 games (half of the team's totals). Now he has 8 in 11 games and 29 for the season. He's the only forward who scores on a team that's gone into hibernation recently (Ill give a pass to Byron, who wasn't expected to be the second highest goal scorer). Where are the others? I haven't checked but hasn't he scored more goals than Galchenyuk, Radulov, and Gallagher combined?

I reserve my greatest contempt for the crybabies who whine that this perennial 30-goal scorer and team points leader doesn't do much else, overlooking that he also kills penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad