Prospect Info: #14 Overall Charlie McAvoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't think the one year burned off the ELC is a big deal. If they want to show some good faith and reward McAvoy for taking the ATO, so be it. This could be the Bruins way of paying him back the out of pocket costs of traveling, time spent, food, etc etc while he's in Providence.

Look at the contracts coming off the books in two years. If McAvoy makes a big splash in his first two years, the Bruins should have enough cap room to pay him a just salary while still having other potentials coming in on their ELC's.

bruinsstats

Mar 29, 2017
100% sure KDP is wrong on that needing to dress for a game thing. McAvoy's contract can't slide. If he signs a contract year 2016-17 deal, he is added to the active roster and he burns a year, doesn't need to play.

If you listen to the Sweeney press conference, made it pretty clear the ATO was just to get him playing and they still needed to negotiate some stuff, I'm guessing bonuses. Part of that could be a handshake agreement on getting a NHL game this year, but it's not needed.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
I don't think the one year burned off the ELC is a big deal. If they want to show some good faith and reward McAvoy for taking the ATO, so be it. This could be the Bruins way of paying him back the out of pocket costs of traveling, time spent, food, etc etc while he's in Providence.

Look at the contracts coming off the books in two years. If McAvoy makes a big splash in his first two years, the Bruins should have enough cap room to pay him a just salary while still having other potentials coming in on their ELC's.

Rewarding him for signing the ATO makes no sense, since half the reason for the Bruins signing him to one is to avoid burning that year off his ELC. If they want to repay him for his out-of-pocket expenses, they can work that extra money into his ELC whenever he signs it, like Arizona did for Keller.

I think KPD is just wrong, which is pretty evident by his last quoted tweet, since by signing the ATO he's no longer a risk to pull a Vesey. KPD is also very non-committal with what he says there, since those tweets are basically all up for interpretation, so I'm calling BS.

Let's also not forget that by signing the ATO, McAvoy gave up his only bargaining chip...he's not eligible to go back to college hockey now. The Bruins are entirely in the driver's seat here and hold all the leverage; it's either ELC or Russia for him after this spring. If McAvoy does end up signing the ELC and dressing, it's entirely because they wanted him to, not because they're at any risk of losing him.

Last edited:

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you

The Bruins cover all of that on an ATO

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014

I agree that they should consider burning it if he's ready. But it's definitely still a big deal! You're ensuring that peak-McAvoy hits free agency a little earlier. Then again, he could eventually sign a huge deal here and it won't matter. There is an element of risk for sure.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I don't care about this burning a year crap.
I mean anything can happen two years from now anyways.

I hope he's in the lineup asap for us. He cant be any worse than CMiller or Liles.

Hopefully he plays lights out in Providence and he's up here for the weekend

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't care about this burning a year crap.
I mean anything can happen two years from now anyways.

I hope he's in the lineup asap for us. He cant be any worse than CMiller or Liles.

Hopefully he plays lights out in Providence and he's up here for the weekend

He can`t be? Would I expect him to be worse? No, not really but to say he can`t be is a statement I have to disagree with

Kid with no pro experience, joining a team who`s still in tough for one of the final playoff spots that can`t afford mistakes happening. Loads of pressure, yep, I can see him being worse

Absolutely no reason to burn a year IMO

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have been to 8 games this year (opening night and several from January to last weekend) and spent most of the time prospect watching. I am by no means a professional scout but here is what I noticed:
Gryz- Most offensive minded of the prospect D, small, but generally in the right place when on the defense.
Casto-He is all around solid. He was (to me) the best d-man on the ice the first couple of games I saw. Something almost always happened when he would start a play from behind the net to start a rush.
O'Gara-He grew a lot from the first game I saw him and was doing 1st line everything the last couple of games. He made a really pretty goal one of the games and is seemingly never rattled. I think he is the most ready to make the jump but both the other two deserve at least a look
Subban- I can't stand him. He is either very good or gawd awful. I have been to one to many of the later.
McIntyre- He should be the back-up in Boston next year and pushing Rask for 1 and 1a minutes like Rask did with Thomas. He makes amazing saves and makes them look easy.
DeBrusk- Another story of amazing growth. The first game he would hang out around the blue line and wait to go on offense. Now he can take over the play offensively and is backchecking. Along with the good for him is the bad, he makes the occasional Pasta-like pass expecting his teammates to keep rushing and causing a turnover. I would seriously consider him for the Marchand development cycle. Throw him on the 4th line, get him some experience with the game feel and let him move up as warranted.

Again, just a fan but thats what I saw:D

much appreciated

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I throw my 2 cents in, if burning a year gets the player here I would pay the price, beyond that their second contract is going to be lower as a result.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Toss up between Casto and Breen. Breen looks kinda cooked to me but I think he actually makes better choices than Casto most nights.

Don't forget Arnesson may be back soon.

They'll rotate. I think Dean will try to find the best pairing for everyone over the next three weekends before playoffs. My fear is he'll stay "loyal" to the veterans in the playoffs, and in this group that's not necessary.

Sort of an aside but question about how to deal with the question you raise about McAvoy vs. Veterans.

1) H. Larue Renfroe (now there is a name!) owns the Providence Bruins and, I assume, wants as deep a playoff run as possible for the same reasons JJ wants his Bruins rebuild on the fly.

2) Bruins, one would assume, wants Charlie McAvoy to get as much icetime as possible both for end of AHL season and AHL playoffs.

3) Now let's assume your fear is on target and Dean thinks that going with veterans is better bet for playoffs and would prefer McAvoy sit/get limited icetime.

I know it's a balance but how does Jacobs deal with the call that says:

"Jeremy -- H. Larue here -- listen you old bugger, I need playoff revenue and your boy Sweeney is pressuring my coach to play the kid. I want a deep playoff run.... and by the way, don't you of all people tell me it's not about the money......"

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Unless McAvoy absolutely blows everyone away this weekend with his play for Providence, I`m not sold the best thing for him would be to call him up to the B`s and burn year 1

That may not be a popular stance but....and even if he does play spectacular, question still has to be whether or not it`s in the best interest of the players development to call him up or leave him right where he is, have him play tons etc..

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Sort of an aside but question about how to deal with the question you raise about McAvoy vs. Veterans.

1) H. Larue Renfroe (now there is a name!) owns the Providence Bruins and, I assume, wants as deep a playoff run as possible for the same reasons JJ wants his Bruins rebuild on the fly.

2) Bruins, one would assume, wants Charlie McAvoy to get as much icetime as possible both for end of AHL season and AHL playoffs.

3) Now let's assume your fear is on target and Dean thinks that going with veterans is better bet for playoffs and would prefer McAvoy sit/get limited icetime.

"Jeremy -- H. Larue here -- listen you old bugger, I need playoff revenue and your boy Sweeney is pressuring my coach to play the kid. I want a deep playoff run.... and by the way, don't you of all people tell me it's not about the money......"

That's easy

JJ pays the GM and Coaches in Providence as well as most of the players....

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

my reliable sources just said Jacobs just finished with the purchase of the city of Providence, he now owns the town, not sure who this Renfroe character is:sarcasm:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm going to go on record saying that I am very confused by this whole situation. I've read this thread and "tweets" and quite literally don't understand all of the nuances, possibilities, and or angles.

And you know what? I've decided I'm ok with that. Seems like the kid wants to sign with Boston in some capacity so he'll be here at some point when he's ready. I'm good with that.

I watched a lot of BU games at end of season -- kid's going to be a good one. That said, all that magical talk a while back at trade deadline suggesting he'd be our #1D once NCAA was done was just that --- magical talk.

Looking forward to seeing him play in Boston one day -- hope it's next year, but whatever he needs.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
That's easy

JJ pays the GM and Coaches in Providence as well as most of the players....

That's an excellent point, I should have considered .... if vast majority of your labor costs are paid by someone else i suppose you relinquish most if not all control to that person/entity.

Just really strange scenario, I guess. You think you have opportunity to win Memorial Cup and take in the big gate, etc...... but the parent team has three college rookies (hypothetical) that they want major ice-time even if they not quite ready.

I suppose when you buy an AHL team you know what you are getting into.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
my reliable sources just said Jacobs just finished with the purchase of the city of Providence, he now owns the town, not sure who this Renfroe character is:sarcasm:

Only a man with perhaps the best polo club name in the history of mankind.:laugh:

"Do say H. Larue..... you looked absolutely marvelous on the pitch today and that new steed of yours is a magnificent beast. Magnificent, I say."

"Very kind of you to say Thurgood, very kind. Say, the escargot look delightful this afternoon. Tell me, are they as rich I am?"

Room explodes:
HA HA
HAGGH HAGGH
HEAR HEAR
Harumph ha ha harumph

"Oh H. Larue -- you are a devil........"

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Only a man with perhaps the best polo club name in the history of mankind.:laugh:

"Do say H. Larue..... you looked absolutely marvelous on the pitch today and that new steed of yours is a magnificent beast. Magnificent, I say."

"Very kind of you to say Thurgood, very kind. Say, the escargot look delightful this afternoon. Tell me, are they as rich I am?"

Room explodes:
HA HA
HAGGH HAGGH
HEAR HEAR
Harumph ha ha harumph

Capital post, my good man, capital indeed!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Room explodes:
HA HA
HAGGH HAGGH
HEAR HEAR
Harumph ha ha harumph

:handclap: :biglaugh:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Welcome to Boston Charlie but not until you are truly ready.

I just hope he hasn't been over rated we tend to do that with our prospects and if he doesn't live up to the hype we'll be screaming for his head on a platter :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad