Prospect Info: #14 Overall Charlie McAvoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I found it amusing when I was playing the GM mode that every time I would have Chara give a speech the team's morale would tank.

:laugh:

When I first got the game I found myself almost feeling guilty for healthy scratching a player, then I woke up and realized there`s no room for emotions in NHL17, it`s all about the W`s not feelings:laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
id burn the year... if hes able to dominate in his first 2 seasons then pay the man and dont lose any sleep

but its hard to dominate in first 2 seasons.... more likely he will not dominate

the second contract is tricky... guys cash in big if they have a good 3rd year under their belt. bridge contracts only work in cases like torey krug where in his first 2 seasons he did nothing

id hate to end up with a tyler myers type situation here... being able to bridge a guy is huge imo

burn a year... let him hang around chara and bergeron... even if he doesnt play it can be good and the million or 2 we save on the 3rd year of his deal is peanuts when you are developing your top pair guy

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
So you like the game that O`Gara/Grizz have been playing down there? I`m not nearly as familiar with Casto, what kind of game does he play if you don`t mind me asking?

I`m "anticipating" the B`s will be younger. No clue why I feel this way but I think DS will be making a significant move up front,I see a package deal for someone. I can`t believe I`m saying this about this team but there almost feels/seems like this team has now stockpiled so much legit looking prospects that the question becomes "do they even have enough spots for them"??

Good problems to have

I have been to 8 games this year (opening night and several from January to last weekend) and spent most of the time prospect watching. I am by no means a professional scout but here is what I noticed:
Gryz- Most offensive minded of the prospect D, small, but generally in the right place when on the defense.
Casto-He is all around solid. He was (to me) the best d-man on the ice the first couple of games I saw. Something almost always happened when he would start a play from behind the net to start a rush.
O'Gara-He grew a lot from the first game I saw him and was doing 1st line everything the last couple of games. He made a really pretty goal one of the games and is seemingly never rattled. I think he is the most ready to make the jump but both the other two deserve at least a look
Subban- I can't stand him. He is either very good or gawd awful. I have been to one to many of the later.
McIntyre- He should be the back-up in Boston next year and pushing Rask for 1 and 1a minutes like Rask did with Thomas. He makes amazing saves and makes them look easy.
DeBrusk- Another story of amazing growth. The first game he would hang out around the blue line and wait to go on offense. Now he can take over the play offensively and is backchecking. Along with the good for him is the bad, he makes the occasional Pasta-like pass expecting his teammates to keep rushing and causing a turnover. I would seriously consider him for the Marchand development cycle. Throw him on the 4th line, get him some experience with the game feel and let him move up as warranted.

Again, just a fan but thats what I saw:D

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I have been to 8 games this year (opening night and several from January to last weekend) and spent most of the time prospect watching. I am by no means a professional scout but here is what I noticed:
Gryz- Most offensive minded of the prospect D, small, but generally in the right place when on the defense.
Casto-He is all around solid. He was (to me) the best d-man on the ice the first couple of games I saw. Something almost always happened when he would start a play from behind the net to start a rush.
O'Gara-He grew a lot from the first game I saw him and was doing 1st line everything the last couple of games. He made a really pretty goal one of the games and is seemingly never rattled. I think he is the most ready to make the jump but both the other two deserve at least a look
Subban- I can't stand him. He is either very good or gawd awful. I have been to one to many of the later.
McIntyre- He should be the back-up in Boston next year and pushing Rask for 1 and 1a minutes like Rask did with Thomas. He makes amazing saves and makes them look easy.
DeBrusk- Another story of amazing growth. The first game he would hang out around the blue line and wait to go on offense. Now he can take over the play offensively and is backchecking. Along with the good for him is the bad, he makes the occasional Pasta-like pass expecting his teammates to keep rushing and causing a turnover. I would seriously consider him for the Marchand development cycle. Throw him on the 4th line, get him some experience with the game feel and let him move up as warranted.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I cant wait til Senyshyn is in Providence next year and can read on his development! Been very quiet on the Seny front this season.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Everyone has their opinion, but Casto has been terrible this year. Bad passes, out of position, screening his own netminder instead of clearing the guy out of the crease, hell one night he put it in his own net just skating out from behind it and of course the goalie was Subban so who got **** on? It doesn't help that they keep pairing him with Lurch Breen. He looks like he should be the rookie not O'Gara or Gryz.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Everyone has their opinion, but Casto has been terrible this year. Bad passes, out of position, screening his own netminder instead of clearing the guy out of the crease, hell one night he put it in his own net just skating out from behind it and of course the goalie was Subban so who got **** on? It doesn't help that they keep pairing him with Lurch Breen. He looks like he should be the rookie not O'Gara or Gryz.

You see a lot of Providence games GG. So the next question is, who does Charlie displace? Casto? Breen?

I would think Charlie and Johanson get some minutes. Gryz, O'Gara, Grant and Cross have to be locked in, no?

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland

I was looking at it from a he is a prospect and not a "pro" yet still on his ELC. Defense generally takes longer to develop....cough....Cross.....Thats why i said he stood out at the start of the year, now I would take OGara and Gryz before him any day of the week, but am hoping he grows over the summer like kids generally do.

Debrusk still makes some seriously questionable plays but is being touted for his overall growth and scoring streak.

To me looking at a prospect is about how they work on mistakes and try to get better not the fact that they make mistakes. Since i have yet to figure out how to be the perfect person at my job, I figure a 20 something kid will make them occasionally too.:D

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
You see a lot of Providence games GG. So the next question is, who does Charlie displace? Casto? Breen?

I would think Charlie and Johanson get some minutes. Gryz, O'Gara, Grant and Cross have to be locked in, no?

Toss up between Casto and Breen. Breen looks kinda cooked to me but I think he actually makes better choices than Casto most nights.

Don't forget Arnesson may be back soon.

They'll rotate. I think Dean will try to find the best pairing for everyone over the next three weekends before playoffs. My fear is he'll stay "loyal" to the veterans in the playoffs, and in this group that's not necessary.

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I was looking at it from a he is a prospect and not a "pro" yet still on his ELC. Defense generally takes longer to develop....cough....Cross.....Thats why i said he stood out at the start of the year, now I would take OGara and Gryz before him any day of the week, but am hoping he grows over the summer like kids generally do.

Casto is in his fourth full season and a UFA Group VI. He's 25 years old. He's a full fledged AHL veteran, although I think he'll be just short of the 260 games veteran skater mark. His play this year and last year has been regressive. They won't resign him with all that's coming in.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Toss up between Casto and Breen. Breen looks kinda cooked to me but I think he actually makes better choices than Casto most nights.

Don't forget Arnesson may be back soon.

They'll rotate. I think Dean will try to find the best pairing for everyone over the next three weekends before playoffs. My fear is he'll stay "loyal" to the veterans in the playoffs, and in this group that's not necessary.

I'm pretty stoked about the Providence playoffs. Going to try and watch them all on feed this year. Pretty anxious to see Charlie and Jake in that environment.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'm pretty stoked about the Providence playoffs. Going to try and watch them all on feed this year. Pretty anxious to see Charlie and Jake in that environment.

So am I. Last few weeks of the season is great with new faces and playoff hockey approaching. Lot of decisions to be made on both the D and forward lines.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Casto is in his fourth full season and a UFA Group VI. He's 25 years old. He's a full fledged AHL veteran, although I think he'll be just short of the 260 games veteran skater mark. His play this year and last year has been regressive. They won't resign him with all that's coming in.

....And that's why I am not a scout. For some reason, i was sure this was his second year. From a 25 year old 4th year pro, meh. I have no idea why I was so sure he was so young.....maybe the dumb plays thinking he had to be a rookie:naughty:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
....And that's why I am not a scout. For some reason, i was sure this was his second year. From a 25 year old 4th year pro, meh. I have no idea why I was so sure he was so young.....maybe the dumb plays thinking he had to be a rookie:naughty:

Time flies, but nothing was lost in the chance they gave him. He was an undrafted kid four years ago and looked good for awhile. I was high on him possibly being the seventh d-man/shuttle guy to Boston but Trotman took that role and now Morrow has it. Something happened last year and he just really started to maybe to force it a little bit because of the talent coming in, leading to not playing his game the same way.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I cant wait til Senyshyn is in Providence next year and can read on his development! Been very quiet on the Seny front this season.

I'm watching him live (feed) right now. He's being a bit of a playmaker tonight, cashing in on his reputation as a shooter and making some nice cross ice passes.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I have no problem with them burning a year. I actually think teams should do it a bit strategically as long as they follow-up on getting them extended.

Draisatl and Pastrnak weren't 'burnt years' but neither played full seasons - so kinda fit. I know it takes two to sides to agree to a contract but both Edmonton and Boston dropped the ball this past summer before they had their break-out years.
If you have a prospect that you're confident is going to be part of your team but that need a bit more seasoning - I would like to see a few teams try burning a year.

You might miss out on one year of an ELC but there's a very good chance you will have a much better second contract in place - as they'll be signing it before they take that next step.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Think providence is going to go far into playoffs

I thought they were going deep last year and that the Bruins would make the playoffs.

Last week at this time it looked like neither team would even make the playoffs, so maybe it's a Jerry Seinfield type Bizzaro year and both teams will go deep.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
That makes no sense at all, why would they sign him to an ATO if they are planning on burning a year of the ELC?

ATO let's him prove he's ready? There really is no downside to the ATO from a Bruin's perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad