Prospect Info: #14 Overall Charlie McAvoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I know we all had high hopes for Dougie Hamilton . Is Charlie projected to be a better player than Dougie ?

Tough to say. He's one of the better defensemen prospects out there right now. His performance at the WJC got a lot of people talking, and he was a sleeper of sorts going into the draft.

I think they have similar potential, but I've only seen McAvoy play once or twice. Hamilton had more potential on draft day, but he also tore up the OHL in his +1 year. I think doing great in college on a stacked team in a stacked division as an 18/19 year old is equally as impressive.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
One could surmise 2 reasons for no ELC yet and this applies for Colin White in Ottawa too.

1. There is a 'handshake' agreement that if the team clinches a playoff and the player is playing well (whatever agreement they choose for this measurement) in the AHL they will offer an ELC starting this year and get them in at least 1 NHL game.

or

2. The plan is to offer an ELC for next year but to protect the NHL club's playoff chances this year (in the event of extensive injuries) they want the option of signing the player this year. We have seen 3 or 4 players go down in a single series before. I think we have even seen 3 dmen go down in a single game before. I would think there would be grievances filed about trying to get around an ELC, even with injuries, if a team tries to recall a player without honoring their ELC 3 yr vs 2 yr deal.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Lou, are you talking about Hockey News Future Watch or Hockey's Future?

Because Hockey's Future still has Seth Griffith as one of the B's prospects...

Hockey's future stopped operating last July if I remember correctly, they haven't updated anything since then.

pisele

Jan 9, 2017
California
Good stuff. Thanks!
So awesome to see Charlie Mac in a Bruins uniform!!
High hopes for this kid. May take him a little while to adjust to the Pro Game.
Such a great skater!!
Very impressed with him at the World Junior Championships.
Looking forward to reports from Providence this weekend

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Not that it's very important but I hope that when he reaches Boston he gets a better number than 43....
Hate those high numbers, especially for a defenseman, but I'm (real) old school.:laugh:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Not that it's very important but I hope that when he reaches Boston he gets a better number than 43....
Hate those high numbers, especially for a defenseman, but I'm (real) old school.:laugh:

77 was an awful number here. :sarcasm:;)

He did wear 7 at BU, correct? I'd give him a 7x number, excluding the one he can't.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
All Bruins players to wear #43

What a bunch of plugs, sans Iafrate and Murphy.

Ray Podloski 1989
Bob Beers 1990-1991
Matt Hervey 1992
Denis Chervyakov 1993
Al Iafrate 1994
Jean-Yves Roy 1997-1998
Joe Murphy 2000
Ric Jackman 2002
Martin Samuelsson 2003-2004
Yan Stastny 2006-2007
Martins Karsums 2009
Drew Larman 2010