Speculation: 14/15 Avatars, the final season at NVMC

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
It shouldn't be embarrassing - it's one of the more impressive feats in the history of hockey.

Right now is as good a time as any to keep a reminder out there that we were once a dominant franchise. Many franchises don't have a single cup win to reflect on, much less 4 in a row that some of us are old enough to remember.

Of course it's an amazing feat to win 4 championships in a row. The fact that it actually happened is not embarrassing. The fact that it's all we can talk about as fans for the last 30 years is. I wonder if Canadians fans talk about their dynasty teams as much as we Isles fans talk about ours? While those teams are a huge part of their history, somehow I doubt that they do.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Of course it's an amazing feat to win 4 championships in a row. The fact that it actually happened is not embarrassing. The fact that it's all we can talk about as fans for the last 30 years is. I wonder if Canadians fans talk about their dynasty teams as much as we Isles fans talk about ours? While those teams are a huge part of their history, somehow I doubt that they do.

They talk about being the most winningest franchise in history quite frequently. They haven't done much of anything over the past 20+ years. 1 cup win after '79 and they act like they are the Yankees of hockey, then again, so do the Rangers.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
When I think of Habs fans, I think of history, classy & educated fans, and pride.

None of which would really apply to most Rangers fans...

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

I have always been more impressed with the 19 straight playoff series wins. What are the odds? That's a record that will never be broken.

How about an avatar showing a seat with a spring coming out of the cushion under a leaky roof?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
They talk about being the most winningest franchise in history quite frequently. They haven't done much of anything over the past 20+ years. 1 cup win after '79 and they act like they are the Yankees of hockey, then again, so do the Rangers.

If any of the teams I root for had that honor, I'd be talking about it a lot too.

And they've won twice since '79; '86 and '93.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I have always been more impressed with the 19 straight playoff series wins. What are the odds? That's a record that will never be broken.

How about an avatar showing a seat with a spring coming out of the cushion under a leaky roof?

lol..or how about asbestos hanging from the ceiling, with all the fans wearing a respirator and gloves, like something out of Breaking Bad?

breaking-bad-engagement.jpg

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
When I think of Habs fans, I think of history, classy & educated fans, and pride.

None of which would really apply to most Rangers fans...

Funny, that's not what I think of at all.

The Quebecois are usually not associated with classy or educated. Definitely a proud and historic bunch though, that much is true. ;)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How's this look as a start?

Going to critique you a little bit here, and I hope it's not insulting at all.

You can see the outline of the square picture you used for the Isles logo, which is not good. It looks like you're setting that layer to multiply or something of the sort. You'd be better off using a vector of the logo instead, as it will be less pixelated and have a transparent background (or you could use a .png file for transparent backgrounds as well). The other thing I'll recommend is holding shift down while you're dragging your images, in this case it is the logo, so that everything stays proportioned properly since the logo looks a little squished to me.

From what I understand you're teaching yourself photoshop as you go and you've done a pretty darn good job, so I mention the above as a way for you to improve. If you don't care to do so, that's fine, just wanted to give some advice. Also, if you ever have any questions on how to do anything in photoshop or any of the other adobe programs, feel free to shoot me a message. I'm also pretty good at locating free resources to be used if you need any at any time.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Going to critique you a little bit here, and I hope it's not insulting at all.

You can see the outline of the square picture you used for the Isles logo, which is not good. It looks like you're setting that layer to multiply or something of the sort. You'd be better off using a vector of the logo instead, as it will be less pixelated and have a transparent background (or you could use a .png file for transparent backgrounds as well). The other thing I'll recommend is holding shift down while you're dragging your images, in this case it is the logo, so that everything stays proportioned properly since the logo looks a little squished to me.

From what I understand you're teaching yourself photoshop as you go and you've done a pretty darn good job, so I mention the above as a way for you to improve. If you don't care to do so, that's fine, just wanted to give some advice. Also, if you ever have any questions on how to do anything in photoshop or any of the other adobe programs, feel free to shoot me a message. I'm also pretty good at locating free resources to be used if you need any at any time.

Yeah, I threw it together just to get a idea of what people thought. I actually use a roxio program about 6 or 7 years old. I wish I knew how to use PS. The cutout looked OK when I did it, when I got here I noticed the lines as well, but, I was heading to work. I will get a better version up and TY for the advice. I'm actually a huge fan of constructive criticism.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
This should be a bit better.

Attachments

• IMG958020u.jpg
    IMG958020u.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 8
  • new.gif
    new.gif
    39.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
This should be a bit better.

It's now somewhat flattened. Roxio doesn't support shift-constraints?

I use PS... generally what I do is silhouette images in their original size so that when they shrink down the imperfections become nominal. Keeping size ratio is important, though, as the eye will notice even a 3-4% difference. Does Roxio allow you to resize using a numeric interface? Like, "60%" or pixel values something like that?

HFBoards file size restrictions also make things challenging sometimes, especially when animations are involved. Still, it's effective to use a transition frame to fade between key frames. Again, not sure what Roxio provides for animation tools.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The "Fort Neverlose" nickname is LONNNGGGGGGG gone. More like "Fort Mostly lose"

How about a gif of the coliseum and a wrecking ball into it, and then a quick pic of a guy on a train or in traffic, and then the final pic of a guy sitting in seats in Barclays, 15 miles from the ice with binoculars?

LOL..Ill take that one!!!

Over the past 20 years the nickname should be Fort Neverwin.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
How about we show some class and respect for those fellow Islander fans who have supported this team, which has chosen to move away from them for solely financial purposes after over 30 years of mismangement, and hopes a fanbase will develop there since they screwed up the last one they had?

Insulting as they walk out the door serves no good purpose.

yea for real, how can an Islander fan be so happy to leave the Coliseum, I can assure you the Barclays Center is going to have its own problems

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

They have 2 cups post 79, not 1

They have won a cup every single decade in the history of the NHL (except the 2000's).

They have TEN more cups than the next closet team.

They have more cups than the entire Western conference COMBINED.

They have more cups than the entire Metro division COMBINED

And still they don't live in the past as much as we do....because we have nothing else to hang on to.

Perfectly said! I agree 100%. I'm 27 years old and literally cannot remember the last time the Isles have won a playoff series. That's why we live in the past--because reality hurts. People don't want to hear the truth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad