Prospect Info: #13OA - Hurricanes select C Seth Jarvis (Portland - WHL) - signed to ELC 12/28/20

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He's been very solid from game one here this year. I had a bit of a "well this isn't good" reaction when he was moved into the top line due to injury, but all that did is allow him to showcase his offensive skill set while not really having any drop off from what we had seen defensively from him. Before the season i figured we'd get him into a few games and then either return to juniors or keep him practicing with the team until the WJC, have him play for Canada, then make the roster decision. Now I'm not sold we'll allow Canada to borrow him for the tourney, and highly doubt we'd sign him back to his junior team after.

you guys remember which games he had the disallowed goals in? have some free time tomorrow
and want to watch a bunch of his shifts.

Reactions: Tryamw

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Something he has that Skinner displayed less as his career moved on is the ability to complement others. As I mentioned, he fits in well wherever you put him. Skinner could produce from many lines, but it was more of an individual effort often times.

Parts of his game make me think of Whitney.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Something he has that Skinner displayed less as his career moved on is the ability to complement others. As I mentioned, he fits in well wherever you put him. Skinner could produce from many lines, but it was more of an individual effort often times.

Seth "The Wizard" Jarvis

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

This is true, but you always have to factor the talent disparity between what Skinner played with and what Jarvis has arrived to find. There were plenty of years you didn’t really want Skinner to give the puck up to his line mates.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is true, but you always have to factor the talent disparity between what Skinner played with and what Jarvis has arrived to find. There were plenty of years you didn’t really want Skinner to give the puck up to his line mates.

This is fair but he never seemed to mesh with ANY talent (no matter how limited) the team brought on to the roster. That's kind of why he would get 3rd line minutes and feast on weaker competition while playing with grittier puck hound guys. He seemed to like being in a situation where he could hold on the puck and do his thing without having to look for other options.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Zach Boychuck is a star.....in his own mind on Twitter.

Well he's apparently into Cryptocurrency and if he used a significant portion of his hockey money to buy Bitcoin and Ethereum he's probably significantly wealthy. He also get's paid for all those NFT and Crypto (and probably other) endorsements with his almost 900k followers. Not saying he's a baller or anything, but he's probably doing quite well, financially.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This is fair but he never seemed to mesh with ANY talent (no matter how limited) the team brought on to the roster. That's kind of why he would get 3rd line minutes and feast on weaker competition while playing with grittier puck hound guys. He seemed to like being in a situation where he could hold on the puck and do his thing without having to look for other options.
His rookie year he had chemistry with Cole, and when he played with Jokinen/Ruutu he wasn’t that way. As he went on he definitely grew comfortable with calling his own number.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Agree with that. I know it's small sample size, but one difference is that Jarvis seems to go to the dirty areas more where-as Whitney was a bit more of a perimeter player.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Agree with that. I know it's small sample size, but one difference is that Jarvis seems to go to the dirty areas more where-as Whitney was a bit more of a perimeter player.
I think Whitney found himself in the dirty areas a fair amount, but in that unnoticed, not joining the fight kind of way. Jarvis gets to those spots, but he's going in whatever may come.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
My love for you is like a truck, Seth Jarvis!

f1338693-14e3-4051-922e-639a2e213422_screenshot.jpg

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I was against keeping Jarvis around this year due to contract issues that will present in 3 years. The rookie has thoroughly proven me wrong. I don’t see how they could justify sending him down at this point.

The next game will be his 9th, right? Am I incorrect in thinking they’ll need to officially make some sort of decision prior to the LA game about his ELC kicking in its first year?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I was against keeping Jarvis around this year due to contract issues that will present in 3 years. The rookie has thoroughly proven me wrong. I don’t see how they could justify sending him down at this point.

The next game will be his 9th, right? Am I incorrect in thinking they’ll need to officially make some sort of decision prior to the LA game about his ELC kicking in its first year?

Prior to the SJS game. He can play game #9 vs the Kings and still slide the ELC. It's game 10 that activates it.

That said, I completely agree that the way he's playing it's not possible to send him down to the WHL.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The only thing he can't do is score on penalty shots.

Love the kid, but you gotta make the goalie move in that situation :laugh:

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad