130pt Kucherov = 2nd best season since lockout?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, you have to take into consideration that he's doing this against Kane and McDavid, the two guys who have had dominant seasons in the past few seasons.

HairyCanary

Feb 16, 2019
Yeah, you have to take into consideration that he's doing this against Kane and McDavid, the two guys who have had dominant seasons in the past few seasons.

Well, in McDavid's case, he's being hampered by whatever's in Edmonton's water supply. :sarcasm:

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Short answer is yes. If he would score 130+ points he would have the best season since Ovi 07/08. It wouldn't matter what kind of lead he will have over 2nd place or how much higher in terms of production this season is compare to others. In a fantasy world if Ovi would play extra 10 games in 09/10, I personally believe it would be the best season post 2000 as well as Crosby in 10/11, but he missed way too many games to even make an assumption.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
He's not touching OV's 07/08. I'd still put Malkin's 11/12 in 2nd because he won the ross by 12pts while missing games and was 2nd in goals. Kane's 15/16 was great but he did have a line mate in the top 10 in pts which puts it a little behind those 2 (I know Neal was top 10 in pts in 11/12 but it's pretty obvious Malkin was carrying him).

Ovechkin 07/08
Malkin 11/12
Crosby 13/14,, Kane 15/16

Then there's OV 08/09 and 09/10, Malkin 08/09 and Crosby 06/07 to think about. Kucherov falls somewhere in there imo.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Thornton outscored Jagr that very year. Or do you prefer Jagr's season because he scored a lot more goals?

Yes. Thornton was on fire but i felt Jagr was more dangerous. Watching Jagr that year, i remember feeling he could do whatever he wanted out there, same feeling I get when i watch Kuch this year.

Reactions: DFC

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Second best? As overall play that Ovechkin season doesnt touch top 10 unless you only mean offensive statistics only.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Kane scoring 106 in 2015 when no one else around the league could score for shit was pretty impressive. Kane and McDavid are currently on pace for over 120 as well, so if Kucherov only beats them by 8 or 9 points its impressive but nothing crazy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Exactly. What's the rush to anoint greatness? The passage of time is a surprisingly important factor in evaluating the position of anything in an "all-time" or "of an era" context.

Once things are settled online, you don't need to think about it again.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Do you mean the 2nd best season from a player individually? In my opinion you can't look at that sort of stuff objectively unless you also have what team that player plays for in mind. Crosby's 120 points in 06/07 playing with scrubs is pretty good too.

I think the OP is talking about fantasy hockey as his supporting cast is really good and he isn't even a lock for the Hart this year.:sarcasm:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It is but that Moropanov poster is biggest Ovi hater on here. He says Ovi sucks at everything so he literally just said the 07-08 season by Ovi isn't a top 10 lockout season.

No doubt his 07-8 season is a top 10 since the lockout but you really need to pump the brakes at times with Ovi.

As for Kucherov this season I doubt he wins the Hart but the last 24ish games for teams this year is going to be exciting in alot of ways.

Don't worry though no one is touching 65 goals for a while.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'd rather adjust them to the league scoring rate. Just because there are other good players doesn't mean Kucherov's season isn't impressive.

The competition at the top is good this year, but the scoring hike goes beyond just one or two other guys though. So many players are putting up career numbers despite league scoring not going up at the same rate that it has to be more than just an increase in talent.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Second best? As overall play that Ovechkin season doesnt touch top 10 unless you only mean offensive statistics only.
What matter is overall (positive) impact on the game. Nobody cares if a player is "bad" defensively if that player is godlike offensively. And OV in 07-08 is (arguably) the most dominant performance in that regard over the course of a full season.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Tough to say that really considering Ovechkin had 94 in his first 59 games in 2009-10 in a lower scoring season.

And then he had 15 in 13 and it's all a part of it you know.

The main problem I have with this thread is that it automatically assumes it would only be the second best season.

It also fails to recognize the possibility someone could overtake Kucherov still and end up with more than 130 points. The chance is not huge, but even if Kuch maintains his pace, you can't rule out that some of his rivals go(es) nuts in the last quarter of the RS and ends up with 135 or something.

In that case, Kucherov's numbers would lose a hell of their current shine.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
And then he had 15 in 13 and it's all a part of it you know.

The main problem I have with this thread is that it automatically assumes it would only be the second best season.

It also fails to recognize the possibility someone could overtake Kucherov still and end up with more than 130 points. The chance is not huge, but even if Kuch maintains his pace, you can't rule out that some of his rivals go(es) nuts in the last quarter of the RS and ends up with 135 or something.

In that case, Kucherov's numbers would lose a hell of their current shine.

His 7 point lead is really impressive with how good Kane and the usual McDavid are right now, but we will find out soon enough if he can maintain or build on that, and the latter is doubtful. It would be great to see him hit 120 though, personally I think he'll fall just short but let's see how it plays out.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

McDavid did not have a dominant season. Crosby and Malkin had more dominant seasons if we simply go by the margin of points over 2nd place.

The best measure is to gauge how the Art Ross leader did against the next top 10 to 20 scorers points-wise and PPG-wise and measure that against the other Art Ross winners. Kane and Malkin have the best Art Ross wins based on this, OV's 07/08 also is in contention for best offensive season based on his generational goalscoring that year.

Kucherov is heading for a very strong Art Ross win but likely not as strong as the ones mentioned above.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
An important context will be how the rest of the league finishes in scoring. If Kucherov hits 130, sure that's impressive, but if two or three other players crack 120 in the same season (a mark that's been reached only three times total since 2005) then that takes some shine off of the accomplishment when evaluating all-time seasons since it's in a year where scoring was up significantly league wide.

That's the real point of it all. It depends how other top scorers finish in the scoring race. There's always a lot of factors when comparing seasons. Just enjoy the awesome season Kucherov is having is my take on it.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It is but that Moropanov poster is biggest Ovi hater on here. He says Ovi sucks at everything so he literally just said the 07-08 season by Ovi isn't a top 10 lockout season.
This thread was just a not so sly way of pumping Ovechkins tires. I see straight through it like fish tanks with no fish in them.

Reactions: wetcoast

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Tough to say that really considering Ovechkin had 94 in his first 59 games in 2009-10 in a lower scoring season.
Ovechkin was better in 07-08 and 08-09 than he was in 09-10. 09/10 the capitals were way more stacked and were a pure offensive run and gun team. The biggest since the 05 lockout

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad