Prospect Info: 13-14 Prospects Thread Version XVII: Connor Brown Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For those clamouring for more upside in the players we draft, the Biggs/Percy draft should stick out like a sore thumb. There were a good number of players with higher potential and higher numbers at the junior level when they were picked.

I actually never minded the Percy pick - for a guy with a reputation as a strong defense/leadership pick, his offensive numbers were actually quite good for a back of the first round dman.

The Biggs pick was not a goo done, though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Gauthier was already a better offensive player at 17 than Biggs was at 19. It's not even close.

Let's use draft ages so we don't get into this 17, 18, 19 age discrepancy. Because both players paths are not the same. I think you will concede this.

Gauthier is in his second OMJHL season this year after being drafted, Biggs didn't play OHL hockey after he was drafted. One can make the argument he should be lighting it up since he has more experience in the CJHL.

Your example is a bad one, why? Biggs played College hockey against 24 year old men after he was drafted. He only played in the OHL starting as a 19 year old and I saw him play on many occasions and he played well. But he did tire towards the end of the year admittedly.

Biggs certainly didn't disgrace himself with his points totals to add onto his physical and defensive game for what he was drafted for in his initial exposure to the CJHL.

Biggs was not a horrendous pick, for the game he was drafted for he is developing fine. He was a key member of Team USA's gold medal team, he was a key member of Oshawa, and he has started well with the Marlies.

Not sure what you are expecting, Kessel like numbers.

Now Gauthier was drafted as a #3C with the hopes of being a top 6C. It is 7 games in to his 2nd CJHL season, I don't know how you can say with a straight face he is outproducing anyone when he is still looking for his first goal. Small sample yes, but at this point in time. It is a disappoinment, even if he is playing a great defensive game.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
Let's use draft ages so we don't get into this 17, 18, 19 age discrepancy. Because both players paths are not the same. I think you will concede this.

Gauthier is in his second OMJHL season this year after being drafted, Biggs didn't play OHL hockey after he was drafted. One can make the argument he should be lighting it up since he has more experience in the CJHL.

Your example is a bad one, why? Biggs played College hockey against 24 year old men after he was drafted. He only played in the OHL starting as a 19 year old and I saw him play on many occasions and he played well. But he did tire towards the end of the year admittedly.

Biggs certainly didn't disgrace himself with his points totals to add onto his physical and defensive game for what he was drafted for in his initial exposure to the CJHL.

Biggs was not a horrendous pick, for the game he was drafted for he is developing fine. He was a key member of Team USA's gold medal team, he was a key member of Oshawa, and he has started well with the Marlies.

Not sure what you are expecting, Kessel like numbers.

Now Gauthier was drafted as a #3C with the hopes of being a top 6C. It is 7 games in to his 2nd CJHL season, I don't know how you can say with a straight face he is outproducing anyone when he is still looking for his first goal. Small sample yes, but at this point in time. It is a disappoinment, even if he is playing a great defensive game.

Less than a PPG in the OHL at 19 years old isn't a disgrace but it's not a number that gives you any reason to believe there's top 6 upside there, that's all. And I like to see top 6 upside out of the guys we pick int he first round.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Less than a PPG in the OHL at 19 years old isn't a disgrace but it's not a number that gives you any reason to believe there's top 6 upside there, that's all. And I like to see top 6 upside out of the guys we pick int he first round.

This is why I have said Leivo may be the top player we picked in 2011. Biggs will play, just where is to be determined with his development.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
This is why I have said Leivo may be the top player we picked in 2011. Biggs will play, just where is to be determined with his development.

Gauthier has the numbers at 17, IMO, to suggest top 6 potential. Whether he reaches it or not is another story but his pre-draft year numbers are better than Biggs two years post-draft in the same league. Pretty sure that's what zeke's referring to.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Just got back from the Erie-Kitchener game. Brown played well; his on-ice vision is impressive, and he set up some nice plays. His hockey sense seems to be a major strength. Like many young players, it's obvious he needs to get stronger. He loses quite a few puck battles and could stand to get more involved in that area.

I was also impressed with Andre Burakovsky, Washington nabbed a good one in this big, slick Russian. Oscar Dansk played unreal in net for the Otters.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Just got back from the Erie-Kitchener game. Brown played well; his on-ice vision is impressive, and he set up some nice plays. His hockey sense seems to be a major strength. Like many young players, it's obvious he needs to get stronger. He loses quite a few puck battles and could stand to get more involved in that area.

I was also impressed with Andre Burakovsky, Washington nabbed a good one in this big, slick Russian. Oscar Dansk played unreal in net for the Otters.

Did raddysh play? I know he's a 96 draft eligible and it's the wrong thread, but he's impressed me so far.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I actually never minded the Percy pick - for a guy with a reputation as a strong defense/leadership pick, his offensive numbers were actually quite good for a back of the first round dman.

The Biggs pick was not a goo done, though.

I actually think the opposite. The Biggs pick was iffy, more because it stuck out as "Detroit is gonna get him..WHICH MEANS WE GOTTA GET HIM" which I think is somethign that happens at drafts, one team hears of a rumor of another trying to trade up to get X and it generates draft floor hype. The thing is, Biggs was supposedly the protoypical power forward/offensive power forward whereas people saw Saad (who's stock fell from being a mid-1st to 2nd round hopeful) as a defensive forward. Percy however just didn't make a ton of sense beyond "Leafs need higher quality prospects" and he was a Toronto-kid back when we didn't have a lot of Ontario-kids in the system. Walking out with Biggs/Saad or Biggs/Rakell, whatever you wanna pick would've been great but hindsight is 20/20. Always felt like Percy was a straight homer pick based more on being a decent prospect from Ontario.

Also here are some kawaii images for you kawaii kids:

4NT2E.png

4NT3x.png

4NT4a.png

Last edited:

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
He did play. I didn't watch him too closely, but he was steady from what I remember.

I've got a couple looks at Erie coming up in the next 2 weeks, he has good mobility and good decision making, potential third or fourth rounder.

ktf

May 5, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
Eric Knodel scored a goal in New Hampshire opening game. He also is the Captain this year, which adds yet another one to the Leafs System. Dennis Robertson, who is now a senior, will be captain of Brown for a second straight year as well.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden

Burakovsky is Swedish ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad