13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I think he was comparing Antropov with Gauthier

IF Antopov's knees didn't end up toast, he would've been pretty damn good, I believe.

Gauthier has a lot of time to work on his game, with pro hockey at least one season away, after this one. I'd like to see him put on another 15 healthy pounds, and work on his stick skills. He really has a lot of room for improvement, but he has the potential to be a solid player down the road.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
IF Antopov's knees didn't end up toast, he would've been pretty damn good, I believe.

Gauthier has a lot of time to work on his game, with pro hockey at least one season away, after this one. I'd like to see him put on another 15 healthy pounds, and work on his stick skills. He really has a lot of room for improvement, but he has the potential to be a solid player down the road.

If he is a faster version of Antropov and keeps his great two-way game, I would be very pleased.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he is a faster version of Antropov and keeps his great two-way game, I would be very pleased.

And that's all you want from a mid late first rounder. He should be a perfectly good 3c who can slide up if need be. That's exactly what he was drafted for but its not saying as a big guy, he may develop more slowly and shock us being a 1c(b) 2c

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
A faster Antropov with better faceoff skills would be a legit top 6 center.

That would be awesome for us. Especially from what is looking like a mediocre draft. But I don't think FG has anywhere near that talent.

I'm still looking forward to what he can do for us, but I don't expect much offense from him. 30-40 pts. But I'm guessing he will be used a lot by his coaches.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I made the Antropov - Gauthier comparison awhile ago, I don't think he has the nastiness of Nik or the offence of Nik. But defensively, yes, hopefully he will become a Selke candidate type player for us. This is the only way this pick can be justified. He needs to become one of the best face-off men(needs work on this skill) in the NHL, kill penalties, and dominate in a shutdown role. Some will call this intangibles, Freddy needs to use his size more, and add some nastiness to his game to be a good pick at #21. I don't think he will ever be a guy that can score 50 points on a regular basis in the NHL. Doesn't seem to have the ability to score 20 goals on a regular basis, he's more of a pass first guy. 30 points center with the things he needs to work on, to be one of the better bottom 6 fwds in the NHL. Then he will be a useful pick.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

i think everyone would be pleased. however, i think most people underrate antropov's great vision. his ability to think quick and see the pass was at a low 1c-2c level. it wasn't his fault he was playing with stone hands ponikorovksy.

gauthier has not demonstrated anything close so far. if he turns out to be a faster steckel who isn't a defensive liability, i'd be happy.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Not our prospect, but Saku Mäenalanen from Finland really impresses me.

He's big, skates really well, and has been buzzing the whole first period

I think Nashville's got a good one there.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A faster Antropov with better faceoff skills would be a legit top 6 center.

Well, Antropov was a legit top-6 center. Quite a good one.

But I wasn't comparing anything other than their physicality. Antropov was much more skilled than Gauthier, and Gauthier is a much better skater than Antropov. Those facets aren't comparable.

But their physicality is very comparable - neither of them went out looking to make big hits, but both use their size very well in both winning and protecting the puck.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Gauthier uses his size just fine. Just watching that game from yesterday, there were plenty of situations where he actually would have been better off not using it. He frequently pins guys to the boards and doesn't even attempt to retrieve the puck, he just lets one of the other forwards get it. I'd like to see him use that big stick better to cause some turnovers on the forecheck.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
A prime Antropov was really good

If Gauthier ends up having a Antropov career with more consistency (due to injuries...), I would take it and run. You hope Gauthier produces what Antropov did offensively once he hit his stride

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I heard Andreas Johnson could be a steal pick for us and is looking like a beast with Sweden (The fact that he made a stacked team in Sweden over the likes of Nylander and others impresses me, despite nylanders poor play).

Hopefully he turns out good. I haven't seen him or Herzog play, how have they been

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I heard Andreas Johnson could be a steal pick for us and is looking like a beast with Sweden (The fact that he made a stacked team in Sweden over the likes of Nylander and others impresses me, despite nylanders poor play).

Hopefully he turns out good. I haven't seen him or Herzog play, how have they been

They played each other yesterday and both scored.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
And that's all you want from a mid late first rounder. He should be a perfectly good 3c who can slide up if need be. That's exactly what he was drafted for but its not saying as a big guy, he may develop more slowly and shock us being a 1c(b) 2c

He was drafted to be an NHL player... what type of NHL player depends on the growth, development and opportunities he earns. The organization doesn't place limitations on prospects the way fans do. What they do as pros is where they start getting judged not jr hockey or where players were drafted. You draft NHL attributes not on jr stats.

I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up in this role next to Kessel but not holding my breath nor do I hold my breath with any prospect cause my evaluation starts at NHL training camps not jr hockey. jr hockey means squat. The way this guy reads the game at both ends of the ice with that size & skating ability is why the Leafs feel there's more to him when he gets to the pros. What do they say good players play better with good players? As far as we know this guy could be that big center we crave... time will tell but he's definitely and NHL player with the combination of NHL attributes he owns.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Man hopefully A J continues to dominate here, i'm telling you guys that he is going to be a gamer when he gets to the nhl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad