13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Gauthier sees the ice pretty well, but there's one thing that I can see in his game that should improve over time.

Using his body more - He's 6'4" and plays like he's not. Basically, if he could even throw 1 or 2 more hits on the forecheck, he would be more effective. Instead he tries to use his reach and tries to battle for the puck without leaning on players. Mind you, this is one of the first games I've seen him play in some time, so it could be different in the Q.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Gauthier sees the ice pretty well, but there's one thing that I can see in his game that should improve over time.

Using his body more - He's 6'4" and plays like he's not. Basically, if he could even throw 1 or 2 more hits on the forecheck, he would be more effective. Instead he tries to use his reach and tries to battle for the puck without leaning on players. Mind you, this is one of the first games I've seen him play in some time, so it could be different in the Q.

He has close to zero aggression in his game. He might be 6'5, but plays like he is 6'0. The only thing he uses his size for is reaching.

What you witnessed today, was one of his better performances actually.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I agree, but his game might be his game. Most guys that were supposed to shoot more or use their body more in their early 20s are still failing to do the same things years later. I think he has the tools to be a very valuable player but you can't make a player mean if that isn't in him, or become an instinctive shooter if he wants to hang and pass (Hemsky/Bozak/Tanguay). Some guys change of course but not very often. He will get faster and stronger so he will get better at the game we see him play now though. Does that make him an 8 goal scorer in the NHL or a guy who can hit closer to 20? Time will tell.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I agree, but his game might be his game. Most guys that were supposed to shoot more or use their body more in their early 20s are still failing to do the same things years later. I think he has the tools to be a very valuable player but you can't make a player mean if that isn't in him, or become an instinctive shooter if he wants to hang and pass (Hemsky/Bozak/Tanguay). Some guys change of course but not very often. He will get faster and stronger so he will get better at the game we see him play now though. Does that make him an 8 goal scorer in the NHL or a guy who can hit closer to 20? Time will tell.

Yea, I'm not expecting him to turn out to put up huge points in the NHL.

I think he turns out something similar to Martin Hanzal and to me that's fine. A guy that will put up 40 points max in a season and play smart in all ends of the ice.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I think he turns out something similar to Martin Hanzal and to me that's fine. A guy that will put up 40 points max in a season and play smart in all ends of the ice.

That would be perfect for our team imo. Hope he turns into our very own Hanzal.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On

I'd be ecstatic if he turns into a Hanzal, one of the most underrated players in the league, from what I've seen though Hanzal plays with more snarl than Gauthier though.

natephil

Feb 13, 2010
Herzog and Johnson are playing eachother right now. It's 4-3 for the Sweeds in the 3rd but Herzog had the 3-3 tying goal for Switzerland. I'm not able to watch it, just reading the boxscore on TSN.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Those forecheck hits can also lead you out of position (specifically as a centre).

Last edited:

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
People who think Gauthier doesn't use his size to his advantage are wrong.

He just doesn't use it to erase players, thats not his game. He is a very patient player, who is good at reading plays and jumping in at the right times. He likes to out wait players and force them to make the first move and then uses his reach (size advantage) to take away the puck or block the play. He knows that if he goes for the hit, he takes himself out of the play but if he goes for the puck or keeps the body to the outside, he can stay effective and continue to be part of the play. Being tall doesn't mean you have to play rough, just like being short doesn't mean you have to play soft. I like his game, it will transition well to the NHL. He was definitely a good, safe pick.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Those forecheck hits can also lead you out of position (specifically as a centre).

That's true. I guess I should have elaborated on what I was watching during the game. He was battling behind the goal and it was a 1 on 1 battle and they were tied up together and he obviously had the size advantage, but just didn't look to be capitalizing on it. I'm sure that he will learn to use it more as he gets older and I liked a lot of his game, but that was the one area that I noticed he could improve.

Other parts of his game that I was impressed with were:

1. Positionally throughout the ice. He didn't look to be out of position too often. He knew to be the high man in support areas and didn't get caught deep.

2. Support. Solid support player.

3. Defensive coverage through transition. I was watching how he picked up players coming back into the Canada zone. He managed to address the player that he needed to pick up multiple times.

I didn't watch him on the draws, so if I get a chance, I'll watch the replay again tonight and see that if I can.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'd be ecstatic if he turns into a Hanzal, one of the most underrated players in the league, from what I've seen though Hanzal plays with more snarl than Gauthier though.

I think that should come with his game, but just one of the areas that he will have to work on to be successful at the next level.

I agree that he's one of the most underrated players in the league. He doesn't get the coverage that most players do because he doesn't put up huge points and he plays a solid defensive role.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If he can improve his puckhandling skills and continue to use his size to shield the puck he could end up playing on a line that is superior to his skill level. It'll be a while until he makes it to the NHL, and so he could develop in all sorts of ways, but his style of game could compliment some of the more talented forwards on this team in the future (Kessel and JVR most specifically, and because I expect them to stay here for much longer than anyone else).

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
That's true. I guess I should have elaborated on what I was watching during the game. He was battling behind the goal and it was a 1 on 1 battle and they were tied up together and he obviously had the size advantage, but just didn't look to be capitalizing on it. I'm sure that he will learn to use it more as he gets older and I liked a lot of his game, but that was the one area that I noticed he could improve.

Other parts of his game that I was impressed with were:

1. Positionally throughout the ice. He didn't look to be out of position too often. He knew to be the high man in support areas and didn't get caught deep.

2. Support. Solid support player.

3. Defensive coverage through transition. I was watching how he picked up players coming back into the Canada zone. He managed to address the player that he needed to pick up multiple times.

I didn't watch him on the draws, so if I get a chance, I'll watch the replay again tonight and see that if I can.
Laughton is the centre on that line so I believe he didn't take any.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
not trying to be a dick, but with that size Gauthier has, he must be on of the softest player i have even seen. he reminds me of a softer version of steckel.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
So the world Juniors would be a step down in the competition level for Johnson?
It is in any case a good sign that he is playing so well there to this point.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leafs Day 1:

A.Johnson 1gms, 1gls, 1pts, +1, 3sh
F.Gauthier 1gms, 0gls, 1pts, +0, 1sh
F.Herzog 1gms, 1gls, 1pts, -2, 3sh

mikebel111*

not trying to be a dick, but with that size Gauthier has, he must be on of the softest player i have even seen. he reminds me of a softer version of steckel.
That is a terrible comparison.
Gauthier can skate and uses his size well in the corners. The guy is not soft

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
That is a terrible comparison.
Gauthier can skate and uses his size well in the corners. The guy is not soft

That really isn't a horrible comparison at all. There are probably more similarities than there are differences.

But if you think it is a terrible comparison, then go ahead and explain some more.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I think A J is going to turn out to be a gamer, he has been clutch since being put on this big stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad