13-14 Around the League: Massive Scoreboard Shaking Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

If my calculation is correct.
Our magic number to clinch the post season is 26?
At the very least, we need probably 6 more wins

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
hmmmm.
man if it was any other team :laugh:

Love this team but oh the unpredictability

I can't even remember the last time this team HIT 100 points [it had to be in the early 2000s]

^ 2003-2004

the Lockout - killers of dreams everywhere.

And there was a minority of us here advocating a blow up and rebuild!

Majority thought the team was good enough going forward.

One completely lost CBA because MLSE wanted playoff revenue.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
It's possible that three of the four teams that will advance to the 2nd round can be from the same division.

Example of the 1st round if playoffs started today:

Let's say the teams that are bolded have won their 1st round series. This makes 100% divisional match-ups in the 2nd round impossible, since New York would have to play an Atlantic division team.

From my understanding, if this scenario were to arise, Boston would be matched up vs. Montreal as a result of seeding. Since Boston would be the highest seed, and Montreal the lowest, they would square up. Leaving Toronto to play New York.

Which in my case would mean Toronto vs. Boston in the 2nd round, and Montreal vs. New York. But this can't be right, because that would mean the two highest seeds playing each-other and the two lowest seeds playing each-other in the 2nd round.

Guys. New format is very simple. Only teams that can cross divisional borders are WC teams. Once WC team crosses to another division it becomes that division side team, so no crossing back to it's own division in PO. Essentially, if ATL team crosses to MET division, that team can meet another ATL team only in ECF and to do so should knock out all MET teams on its way.

To the Daisy sentiment, we want Pit to win conference so that Boston is facing stronger team in WC#1 spot, not weaker one in WC#2 spot. At the moment it could be NYR or Columbus, which could give Boston some trouble and not as easy first round PO. And if that is Mtl is even better. Mtl always give them trouble for whatever reason.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
it's interesting alot of you guys are rooting for nj and ottawa tonight. i am more likely taking the safe approach and taking tampa/montreal as i want to see more teams drop off

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
it's interesting alot of you guys are rooting for nj and ottawa tonight. i am more likely taking the safe approach and taking tampa/montreal as i want to see more teams drop off

We can definitely take a positive from either team winning. But this will probably be a 3 pointer.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Price is back for the Habs?

2nbcciq.jpg

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It's possible that three of the four teams that will advance to the 2nd round can be from the same division.

Example of the 1st round if playoffs started today:

Let's say the teams that are bolded have won their 1st round series. This makes 100% divisional match-ups in the 2nd round impossible, since New York would have to play an Atlantic division team.

From my understanding, if this scenario were to arise, Boston would be matched up vs. Montreal as a result of seeding. Since Boston would be the highest seed, and Montreal the lowest, they would square up. Leaving Toronto to play New York.

Instead of what you said,

Which in my case would mean Toronto vs. Boston in the 2nd round, and Montreal vs. New York. But this can't be right, because that would mean the two highest seeds playing each-other and the two lowest seeds playing each-other in the 2nd round.

Now I'm just confused. I originally thought that there would be reseeding in the second round as well but I was told that however the cross over happens in the first round, it remains the same way for the second round as well. As it stands, Montreal would face a Metro team and Columbus would face an Atlantic team and if they were both to win their series then Montreal stays in the Metro and faces the winner of the 2/3 match up and Columbus faces the winner of the 2/3 match up in the Atlantic.

I remember reading the new seeding explanation on NHL.com and I went back to look at it and as I suspected, it only explains how the first round round works. I'm going to look into this.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Now I'm just confused. I originally thought that there would be reseeding in the second round as well but I was told that however the cross over happens in the first round, it remains the same way for the second round as well. As it stands, Montreal would face a Metro team and Columbus would face an Atlantic team and if they were both to win their series then Montreal stays in the Metro and faces the winner of the 2/3 match up and Columbus faces the winner of the 2/3 match up in the Atlantic.

I remember reading the new seeding explanation on NHL.com and I went back to look at it and as I suspected, it only explains how the first round round works. I'm going to look into this.

Here's an example.

1st Round
1-A. Boston vs. WC-2. Philadelphia (BOS wins)
1-M. Pittsburgh vs. WC-1. Montreal (MTL wins)
2-A. Toronto vs. 3-A. Tampa Bay (TOR wins)
2-M. New York vs. 3-M. Columbus (CBJ wins)

2nd Round
1-A. Boston vs. WC-1. Montreal
2-A. Toronto vs. 3-M. Columbus

OR, would it be

1-A. Boston vs. 2-A. Toronto
3-M. Columbus vs. WC-1. Montreal

If it's the latter, is that not outstandingly bizzare? It would see the top two remaining seeds in the conference play each-other while the two lowest seeds play each-other, one of them with a ticket to the conference finals. :dunno:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Here's an example.

1st Round
1-A. Boston vs. WC-2. Philadelphia (BOS wins)
1-M. Pittsburgh vs. WC-1. Montreal (MTL wins)
2-A. Toronto vs. 3-A. Tampa Bay (TOR wins)
2-M. New York vs. 3-M. Columbus (CBJ wins)

2nd Round
1-A. Boston vs. WC-1. Montreal
2-A. Toronto vs. 3-M. Columbus

OR, would it be

1-A. Boston vs. 2-A. Toronto
3-M. Columbus vs. WC-1. Montreal

If it's the latter, is that not outstandingly bizzare? It would see the top two remaining seeds in the conference play each-other while the two lowest seeds play each-other, one of them with a ticket to the conference finals. :dunno:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/03/06/hoge-nhls-new-playoff-format-might-actually-make-sense/

There will be no re-seeding and the playoff bracket will be set up by division, with the possibility of a wild card team “crossing over†because of the standings. Thus, unless a crossed-over wild card team beats a division winner in the first round, the second round will play out as de facto division championship series.

Brackets:

http://www.nhlplayoffsbracket.com/2014/index.php

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
heh so if we won and Boston won - boston second round. i can live with that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
LOL that was an awesome lameness pun

Beware the ides of March... take what you have and Caesar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad