TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Has Sawyer ever met a 6 minute a night veteran stump who wasn't an awesome guy who everyone loves having on the team and who plays a "man's game" and exhibits amazing awareness away from the puck? (admittedly, he was talking about Dahlstrom in the most recent case but I've heard him spout exactly the same tripe about guys like Bitteto et al)

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I like Troy, don't mind Brandon and think he's a good fit.. Jim can be Hilarious.

Jim has had some rough opinions lately and seems to get upset at any caller who criticizes the players.
More than once in the past few weeks i've heard Jim argue his side and within a minute or two, end up arguing against his own point or "harkening" to a completely unrelated comparison. His Wheeler talk today was over the top

Reactions: Steve1964

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Jim does stuff like that on a constant basis. He'll start at a given premise, and then over the next couple minutes manage to talk himself over to pretty much the exact opposite premise...it's like he doesn't actually think about or formulate opinions on subjects until he's actually in a position where he has to state such - and then he just makes one up on the spot. Then, if the same subject happens to come up a few minutes later and he has to give his opinion again, he just makes one up again...and it might just be the opposite of the one he made up previously. lol...

Last edited:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Jim does stuff like that on a constant basis. He'll start at a given premise, and then over the next couple minutes manage to talk himself over to pretty much the exact opposite premise...it's like he doesn't actually think about or formulate opinions on subjects until he's actually in a position where he has to state such - and then he just makes one up on the spot. Then, if the same subject happens to come up a few minutes later and he has to give his opinion agian, he just makes one up again...and it might just be the opposite of the one he made up previously. lol...
Like Jay Richardson before him he's a) a TNSE loyalist and it's never management or coaches fault, b) doesn't always put a lot of thought or research into his opinions c) doesn't have much use for analytics and d) he's a contrarian first and foremost. Mix it all together and this is what you get.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
The caller was also saying "We don't have much coming up from the A"

Jim: *interrupts the caller* "Let me speak! You think the Jets have no one coming up?? I'll stop you right there. What about Lowry? What about Copp and Roslovic?"

What a moogan. Still a funny guy though.

Reactions: DRW204

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I wouldn't say Westwood is a Shill at all but more than ever it seems there is an effort to control the message. Then again it seems like there is a shift everywhere where no one is really pushing back against censorship anymore.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The caller was also saying "We don't have much coming up from the A"

Jim: *interrupts the caller* "Let me speak! You think the Jets have no one coming up?? I'll stop you right there. What about Lowry? What about Copp and Roslovic?"

What a moogan. Still a funny guy though.
:laugh:

yesterday someone had asked him who are some productive 35 year olds in the NHL, Toth blurts out Stamkos.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Jim does stuff like that on a constant basis. He'll start at a given premise, and then over the next couple minutes manage to talk himself over to pretty much the exact opposite premise...it's like he doesn't actually think about or formulate opinions on subjects until he's actually in a position where he has to state such - and then he just makes one up on the spot. Then, if the same subject happens to come up a few minutes later and he has to give his opinion again, he just makes one up again...and it might just be the opposite of the one he made up previously. lol...
My take, maybe the "air is a little thin" up there?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Anyone see the pics they post of themselves on Twitter? Rewicki is the only normal looking one. Toth looks like he just woke up from sleeping under a bridge. And I swear Westwood's head is about to explode...his head looks like the Barry Bonds steroid/HGH version.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Not sure what's worse, Troy struggling to get his words out or Troy actually succeeding in getting his words out.
Why is Troy the only one who has trouble showing up for the show on time? A good amount of time the show starts at 6:00am and Toth needs to inform the listeners that Troy is "running a little late".

Reactions: Steve1964

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
This station is infuriating.

Make a point. Argue about it. Repeat.

Do they think listeners want to hear some shmucks who have about the same 'expertise' as anyone off the street (that's being kind) having scripted arguments about scripted hot takes for ten hours a day?

I've said this before but I am surprised TSN allows this level of production under their brand. I get that Winnipeg may not be able to attract the best on-air talent with radio salaries being what they are, but this high school debate club with commercials method doesn't work.

Literally no other radio station operates like this. I listen to sports stations in all other NHL markets via the TSN app. Every single one of them sounds like a professional radio station except 1290. Amateur hour from top to bottom. It's embarrassing.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
i've listened to sports talk shows from other markets too. Doesn't sound much different. What "special expertise" do most sports radio talking heads have? And i don't get why anyone would think the show is "scripted." Doesn't sound to me like much of what they say has been planned in advance. Frankly, I find it more annoying listening to guys who are supposed to know their stuff - Mckenzie, Dreger, etc... make predictions and blow smoke because they are so often wrong anyway. The truth is, nobody knows what the hell is going to happen in a hockey game or what changes are going to work or fail. It's about 99% a crap shoot! lol...

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
i've listened to sports talk shows from other markets too. Doesn't sound much different. What "special expertise" do most sports radio talking heads have? And i don't get why anyone would think the show is "scripted." Doesn't sound to me like much of what they say has been planned in advance. Frankly, I find it more annoying listening to guys who are supposed to know their stuff - Mckenzie, Dreger, etc... make predictions and blow smoke because they are so often wrong anyway. The truth is, nobody knows what the hell is going to happen in a hockey game or what changes are going to work or fail. It's about 99% a crap shoot! lol...

SiriusXM’s NHL Network show - hell, basically all of their sports programming - is a million times better. Like professional radio vs. amateur hour radio. I also listen to TSN streams in other markets, and they’re far better than the on 1290.

I couldn’t agree with @Le Golie more. To be fair, it’s not like the station has been devoid of talent, eg. Jay Richardson is/was as good as many of the radio personalities in the larger markets. But the current crop is embarrassing. The quality of radio talent up here in The Pas and Flin Flon is better than 1290, not a word of a lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad