TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Munz is the Tom Smykowski of sports broadcasting.

If Smykowksi is a Kool- Aid drinking type of guy then we have a match.

Munz was on IC today saying shots against aren’t a big concern for the Jets because the people that record shots for the NHL often aren’t very accurate in recording shots and often randomly add shots at the end of the period or when the goalie stops the puck with his stick.

Seriously, this is his follow up to saying the Jets have had a good week.

Munz is a full TNSE propaganda machine.

Reactions: JetsFan815

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Munz was on IC today saying shots against aren’t a big concern for the Jets because the people that record shots for the NHL often aren’t very accurate in recording shots and often randomly add shots at the end of the period or when the goalie stops the puck with his stick.

I would prefer 1290 stopped bringing them on to Shill. I get that its their job and these guys aren’t going to risk their career by being edgy so why use them as content filler?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I would prefer 1290 stopped bringing them on to Shill. I get that its their job and these guys aren’t going to risk their career by being edgy so why use them as content filler?
I am not at all familiar with the industry but would speculate that they are on to promote Jets radio broadcasts and Beyak and Sawyer would be doing the same for TV. Essentially infomercials for tuning in to the game via radio or TV.

They are certainly not objective and appear to have only a basic understanding of the game of hockey so there is no relevant insight to the game.

Much the way Darrin Dunn comes on 1290 for an Assiboine Downs promo.

I would suggest fillling the airtime by interviewing kids 12 and under and asking them how the Jets are doing. Kids say the darndest things.

My 7 year old knows the Jets are crapping the bed down the stretch.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

On the flip side Mike McIntyre wrote a pretty direct piece in the Freep today.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Heard him on 1290 Thursday afternoon and he was pretty blunt. I’ll have to grab a Freep. Enjoying early day bevvies up at the cottage.

Be interesting to see if McIntyre faces repercussions for his opoinions on the hockey club.

Local media has been so reluctant to criticize anything Jets related.

Reactions: roccerfeller

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
In 2011 , TNSE and TSN signed a 10 year TV/Radio agreement. Sorry, but it's beyond incredulity if anyone thinks TSN is going to be overly critical of the Jets.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not at all familiar with the industry but would speculate that they are on to promote Jets radio broadcasts and Beyak and Sawyer would be doing the same for TV. Essentially infomercials for tuning in to the game via radio or TV.

They are certainly not objective and appear to have only a basic understanding of the game of hockey so there is no relevant insight to the game.

Much the way Darrin Dunn comes on 1290 for an Assiboine Downs promo.

I would suggest fillling the airtime by interviewing kids 12 and under and asking them how the Jets are doing. Kids say the darndest things.

My 7 year old knows the Jets are crapping the bed down the stretch.

At the end of the day the guys coming on are broadcasters not true colour analysts so unless you missed the game they don’t add much. On occasion Beyak says something that interests me due to access but that is all they can really add of unique value at least to people on this site. Hnidy was really good on that morning radio spot but sadly he is gone.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Heard him on 1290 Thursday afternoon and he was pretty blunt. I’ll have to grab a Freep. Enjoying early day bevvies up at the cottage.

Be interesting to see if McIntyre faces repercussions for his opoinions on the hockey club.

Local media has been so reluctant to criticize anything Jets related.

Yea I was day drinking allot this past week in Mexico and I find it quite enjoyable on occasion. Have fun!!!

Reactions: blues10

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
In 2011 , TNSE and TSN signed a 10 year TV/Radio agreement. Sorry, but it's beyond incredulity if anyone thinks TSN is going to be overly critical of the Jets.
I'm surprised Troy, either rightly or wrongly, is able to be as negative as he is toward the Jets on air/twitter

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea I 100% get the fire drill and it’s one of the many reasons I tuned 1290 out on my morning ride.

For the most part the rest of the media are more concerned with the blow back from the players. Lawless use to get put in the penalty box from time to time by guys on the team and he didn’t really adhere to “the code”.

Last edited:
Reactions: blues10

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
1290 probably has to bring these Kool-Aid drinkers on. If they don’t, their next contract with Jets/NHL for radio broadcast rights will be lost.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Again I don’t know how the industry works but it’s interesting that National TSN media is objective but local TSN media for the most part as PS pointed out are nothing but Shills.

Is it because TSN doesn’t have national media rights that the national TSN crew is critical?

I to have completely quit listening to the morning show thing and just the thought of Kevin O makes me cringe so no lunch time or pre/ post game.

Just the drive home and I know I am in the minority but I do like the IC show.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Again I don’t know how the industry works but it’s interesting that National TSN media is objective but local TSN media for the most part as PS pointed out are nothing but Shills.

Is it because TSN doesn’t have national media rights that the national TSN crew is critical?

I to have completely quit listening to the morning show thing and just the thought of Kevin O makes me cringe so no lunch time or pre/ post game.

Just the drive home and I know I am in the minority but I do like the IC show.

I like the IC show too.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Apart from a couple of vague references to unnamed sources everything he described is just what you should expect from a team frustrated with a losing streak. I'd be more concerned if there were not signs of frustration. That would indicate apathy.

Blindly blowing smoke up the Jets collective ass like the TNSE shills on TSN is worthless. So is a clickbait article pretending to be insider analysis revealing problems in the room.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Apart from a couple of vague references to unnamed sources everything he described is just what you should expect from a team frustrated with a losing streak. I'd be more concerned if there were not signs of frustration. That would indicate apathy.

Blindly blowing smoke up the Jets collective ass like the TNSE shills on TSN is worthless. So is a clickbait article pretending to be insider analysis revealing problems in the room.

McIntyre might have heard rumours before the general public did, but yeah, there's nothing in the article that's really new any more. His sources are going to be close to the team, and as an ex-crime reporter maybe he's learned to be discreet, discerning and trustworthy, so the article does, IMO, elevate the matter slightly above the kind of conjecture and anti-conjecture you get at places like here. The problem might be even worse than first imagined. Or not. But the possibility seems genuine.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
McIntyre might have heard rumours before the general public did, but yeah, there's nothing in the article that's really new any more. His sources are going to be close to the team, and as an ex-crime reporter maybe he's learned to be discreet, discerning and trustworthy, so the article does, IMO, elevate the matter slightly above the kind of conjecture and anti-conjecture you get at places like here. The problem might be even worse than first imagined. Or not. But the possibility seems genuine.

The possibility seems genuine, but speculative. You are assuming he has valid inside information.

They have had the look of a slightly troubled team all season long. Slightly. It has been getting worse lately but is that chicken or is it egg? The recent poor showing is going to stress any team, even with the best of rooms. They don't look like a happy band of brothers but who would after the last 6 games?

The most telling thing to me was the acquisition of Hendricks. But that also is speculative. Wanting to add his leadership doesn't automatically prove a rift in the room.

I'm not saying there is no discord. In fact, I suspect there is a problem. But I am speculating. McIntyre's article didn't do anything to reassure me, but I don't take it as confirmation either.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yea I was day drinking allot this past week in Mexico and I find it quite enjoyable on occasion. Have fun!!!

I was a day drinker in Mexico as well-- just lite Corona beer, with not much alcohol content. I had no choice -- I was getting bad stomach cramps, and the runs from the food or water. I decided to live on fish and beer -"only"-and I'm not really a drinker. I knew all water in alcohol is distilled in beer "for sure"--so it helped me a lot.

This was around 1990 --so I don't know if the water is OK to drink there now, along with eating other things, but you can get really sick from bacterial infection from the water, unless you have a cast iron stomach. I must have lost about 10-12 lbs, due to lack of eating. NICE WEATHER THO.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Anyone who follows the Blue Jays and listens even occasionally to the post-game show would liken their minister of propaganda Mike Wilner to Brian Munz.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I visit the Oilers board on a semi-frequent occasion, and their media (or at least a few of them) are bigger shills for the Oilers then anyone here for the Jets. Stauffer sounds like he makes Munz looks like an amateur when it comes to propaganda. Terry Jones called Chia brilliant for bringing in a suspect player in Manning who had no discernible positive impact on the team. Of course, once Chiarelli was fired both ripped into him without mercy.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Just for the sake of comparison, listening to Baseball Central on 590 in Toronto which owns the Blue Jays, the stadium and broadcast rights on TV and radio. The hosts are ripping the Blue Jays lineup decisions and players while also providing some great analysis. I'm going to go out on limb and say that would never happen on 1290.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad