TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Had to go out today. Got in the car, the radio was on 1290. Some ***holes were talking about video games ferchrissakes! It is a Jets gameday!

In 2 minutes on a Sunday afternoon there was, layed-out for the world to see, the whole story of why sports radio died in Winnipeg. Farewell TSN1290, we hardly knew ye. :shakehead

I kinda dislike that radio show, and I love esports. If they only focused on esports, yeah, I can see why TSN would broadcast that, but it's just a general video games show more often than not.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
If you're up early enough on a Sunday, 1290 has a christian athlete radio program. Interesting programming choice.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Had to go out today. Got in the car, the radio was on 1290. Some ***holes were talking about video games ferchrissakes! It is a Jets gameday!

In 2 minutes on a Sunday afternoon there was, layed-out for the world to see, the whole story of why sports radio died in Winnipeg. Farewell TSN1290, we hardly knew ye. :shakehead

I love video games, and I utterly despise that show! There's one guy on there who has a voice and a way of talking that i find completely enraging...he discusses video games as though he thinks he's a doctor or something discussing medical procedures. Like its "serious bidness" or something.

I caught a few minutes of the christian athletes show sunday morning too - just weird. Thought I had the wrong station on.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I love video games, and I utterly despise that show! There's one guy on there who has a voice and a way of talking that i find completely enraging...he discusses video games as though he thinks he's a doctor or something discussing medical procedures. Like its "serious bidness" or something.

I caught a few minutes of the christian athletes show sunday morning too - just weird. Thought I had the wrong station on.

I never got into video games of any kind but I realize that millions are into them in a big way. There are other forms of gaming that are also popular.

Let gamers have their own radio station. They are not sports in the way that we usually think of the term. If they are having trouble filling their schedule there are lots of local sports stories worthy of coverage - lots. There are the Universities, High Schools, Jr Hockey, Minor Hockey and on and on. I'd much rather hear that than Gaming.

With a Jets game only a few hours away "the Home of the Jets" should be all Jets content, surely.

I tune to 1290 less and less often. Down to almost never now. The way their ratings are dropping, can they survive much longer?

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
I listen to KFAN out of Minneapolis daily.

They broadcast the Wild and Vikings. KFAN is awesome.

Started listening for Paul Allen and the Vikes, and if you want pure/mostly sports talk then PA is great (also a great PBP guy). He does a segment called "Vox in the box" where he sits rinkside during morning skates sometimes and interviews/jokes around with both teams. He tries to distract the visiting team by putting money in the hole in tbe glass and telling guys that it is theres if they hit it.

I am at a point where I want less hardcore sports talk (as it is mostly common sensical and extremely repetitive-or-intentionally stupid) and hate call ins mostly.

I listen to the morning show and the mid afternoon show mostly because they talk sports, but also do not take it so seriously.

Long story short: I almost never listen to 1290 and Minnesota has no idea how lucky they are radio wise. Although KFAN crushes in the ratings apparently.

I listen to 1290 more during the Bombers season because I cannot stand CJOB. So, see 1290 in 6 months.
I am also a long time KFAN listener going back to the PA and Dubay days. Always need to hear Bump savage the Vikings on a day like this..
Also agree that in comparison to the big-city, professional quality of KFAN, 1290 is very amateurish.

Reactions: Cellee

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
The Jets win helped with easing the deep pain of the nfc championship game

Last edited:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I am also a long time KFAN listener going back to the PA and Dubay days. Always need to hear Bump savage the Vikings on a day like this..
Also agree that in comparison to the big-city, professional quality of KFAN, 1290 is very amateurish.
That is what is great about KFAN (whoops) on a day like today post Vikes heart crusher. Each show will take a different approach to it.

Love KFAN.

Last edited:
Reactions: PerryPooley

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Toth needs to get off this San Jose hates Winnipeg thing. It’s a non-thing really. Let’s just not keep it going because it only ends up making us (as in Winnipeggers) seem pretty small. Plus, his efforts to find funny specific things that make us better than them are lame. “In San Jose it is illegal for any un-manned vehicle to go faster than 60 mph. Wow do they suck!” :rolleyes:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Onnnnnnnnneeeeeeeee Hhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnndddddddrrrrreeaaadddd and EEEEEIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHTTTYYYYY!!!
No joke, my dream job is to be a dart caller. Every time I’m flipping channels and darts are on, I always watch. Seems like so much fun. LOL...it’s like just one giant party with the entire audience drunk.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Would rather listen to TV darts announcers......than listen to Westwood and Toth. Or for that matter... have the darts hurled at me.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I never got into video games of any kind but I realize that millions are into them in a big way. There are other forms of gaming that are also popular.

Let gamers have their own radio station. They are not sports in the way that we usually think of the term. If they are having trouble filling their schedule there are lots of local sports stories worthy of coverage - lots. There are the Universities, High Schools, Jr Hockey, Minor Hockey and on and on. I'd much rather hear that than Gaming.

With a Jets game only a few hours away "the Home of the Jets" should be all Jets content, surely.

I tune to 1290 less and less often. Down to almost never now. The way their ratings are dropping, can they survive much longer?

Local sports though are expensive to cover. You have to go out and find all these guests who can talk about the games in an intelligent and interesting manner. If this is a syndicated video gaming show though that is very cheap to put on the air - or maybe they even pay TSN 1290 to put it on. I reliably listen to 1290 on my commute home on the LRT, but will listen to Edmonton local TSN 1260 when in my car, and I know they run some paid advertising content on weekend mornings.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I fully get all of the 1290 griping.
I echo a lot of what is being said.

Kevin O at times sounds like he needs one of those dentist suction tubes while he speaks.
The unrelated shows kill me.

But I remember not having sports radio at all.
In the 90's WPG got a short lived sports radio station (mainly simulcasted) I was pretty bummed when it left.
When your top radio station for sports (CJOB) is also heavily invested in local news, municipal and provincial government topics and yard sales... well then you have issues.

I often listen with ear buds and occasionally pop them out when I don't like the guest / segment.
As many flaws as 1290 has no other option will give us as much Jets coverage.
I hope for better but will take this over nothing.

I think they could do a better job of packaging up NHL and other sports news from the affiliates.
It could help fill a chunk of time where there are over repeating themselves.
A weekly segment on one prospect of the Jets (or a series for part of the year anyways).
Following up on picks who are still in junior.
Most of the coverage would always be on just the top picks.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Local sports though are expensive to cover. You have to go out and find all these guests who can talk about the games in an intelligent and interesting manner. If this is a syndicated video gaming show though that is very cheap to put on the air - or maybe they even pay TSN 1290 to put it on. I reliably listen to 1290 on my commute home on the LRT, but will listen to Edmonton local TSN 1260 when in my car, and I know they run some paid advertising content on weekend mornings.

In the old days amateur sports of all sorts were always glad to get any media attention. They would find volunteers who would make regular reports at no cost. The media outlets would need someone to coordinate this. Pretty easy to cover really.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
These analytics guys that get interviewed are brutal to listen to. They have good content but they sound like guys who never see a game and just look at stats and they have the energy of a Snuffleupagus.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Then don't listen to them. There's nothing that says anyone has to subscribe to any particular statistical method for looking at or analyzing games, teams or players. Don't like it? Ignore it - it shouldn't change your enjoyment of the sport.

Personally, I don't give a shit about the stats during the game, but I find it interesting to look at what happened with match-ups and stats afterwards. Sometimes supports my eye test, but when it doesn't, that's when I find it most interesting to dig deeper.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah exactly. I'm pretty sure most of the analytics guys watch WAY more hockey then any of the people who say things like "it's like these guys never watch a game."

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
yeah exactly. I'm pretty sure most of the analytics guys watch WAY more hockey then any of the people who say things like "it's like these guys never watch a game."
I don't know.....I don't think you can actually follow the game when you are collecting data. Seems like the "stats" teams are getting killed by the "blood, sweat and tears" teams.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I have never understood the narrative where people who like and use hockey analytics don’t watch games? Sure people can be a slave to the numbers but people can be a slave to their eye test too.

I have learned to prefer the blended approach because it’s all part of enjoying the game for me.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Listening to the morning show, they had someone on who was commenting on the Helly eye injury. Missed the guest's name so didn't know who it was . . . until I heard how often he said "uh." That cleared it up fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad