TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetracksuit

Nov 25, 2015
Why the hell would we be worried about attracting players who's only concern is having a good time off the ice?

Sorry, our team is not built with players like those. Last one we had ended up with a wet tracksuit and a plane ticket to Buffalo.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Why the hell would we be worried about attracting players who's only concern is having a good time off the ice?

Sorry, our team is not built with players like those. Last one we had ended up with a wet tracksuit and a plane ticket to Buffalo.

Nobody should be worried about attracting players like that. However, we are worried about attracting players right? If most players (party boys or not) view Winnipeg as an unappealing destination, it makes things a little more difficult for us. However, the ultimate cure for that is lots and lots of winning and we are starting to get that...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Thats always been my take. No thanks to the country clubbers. Can't win with them anyways.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nobody should be worried about attracting players like that. However, we are worried about attracting players right? If most players (party boys or not) view Winnipeg as an unappealing destination, it makes things a little more difficult for us. However, the ultimate cure for that is lots and lots of winning and we are starting to get that...

The good news is under the current CBA players don’t have allot of control over where they play for the first 7 years of their career or until they turn 27. That allows a savvy GM more than enough room to construct a contender. Then on top of that we have seen high end Pending UFA’s extend with us and also we have had UFA’s like Perreault and Kulikov sign with us.

Sure it is less than optimal but at the end of the day is it really going to stop us from winning a cup? I don’t think so personally and that is all I care about.....the rest is just the usual noise and we are use to taking the barbs so bring it on and while you are teasing us our team will be kicking your teams ass.

I was not born and raised in Winnipeg. I moved here and even though I had many other options to leave over the years I have chosen to stay because I love the city warts and all. I understand the drawbacks but it’s strenghts are understated and sometimes you just have to live in a city to get it. I understand why some people leave, I understand why people stay. At the end of the day it’s about finding the fit that works for you.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i know a lot of fans who call in are not HF boards regulars or anything (atleast i hope not) but some of the calls for the Jets acquiring Stone are just asinine! Toby+Roslo+a pick for Stone? lol really....

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
iFfSfCf

Thought this was timely.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Toth is off again this week so Westwood is running the show. Ugh...

He’s shakin things up though! Usually everyone is a “darned good buddy.” This morning he’s added “dang good friend” to the rotation! :laugh:

Reactions: DRW204

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
They ignore that you're not necessarily selling the player on living in Winnipeg but selling the player's family or significant other.

I don't miss not listening to 1290 daily at all. I'll often go weeks without it.

Reactions: sipowicz

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I've become more and more inclined to just shut the radio off throughout the day myself.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've become more and more inclined to just shut the radio off throughout the day myself.
I certainly don't listen like I used to. Most mornings it doesn't cross my mind to turn it on, and when it does I usually don't bother anyways. I'll usually give it the 1st chance when I'm driving, but have a quick trigger finger if someone gets on a soapbox (Westwood) tries selling me a pillow (RR) or god forbid the dreaded 6 pack, and anything Kevin O does...the constant drone puts me to sleep. The afternoon ride gets the best hockey insiders who are usually worth a listen.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
I certainly don't listen like I used to. Most mornings it doesn't cross my mind to turn it on, and when it does I usually don't bother anyways. I'll usually give it the 1st chance when I'm driving, but have a quick trigger finger if someone gets on a soapbox (Westwood) tries selling me a pillow (RR) or god forbid the dreaded 6 pack, and anything Kevin O does...the constant drone puts me to sleep. The afternoon ride gets the best hockey insiders who are usually worth a listen.

I don't mind Kevin O. Listening to Westwood in the morning without Toth, however is atrocious.

Reactions: sipowicz

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So I was listending to XMNHL network today and one of the better interviewers had a guest on and the subject turned to Eric Lindros and they discussed how dominant he was in the OHL......How he was responsible for a whole generation of next Lindros's in the draft (the next Chara and next Neely were the other two big guys for screwing up drafts for a few decades). The subject flowed into why they have buried the hatchet in Philly and it was just an awesome segment so I looked down to see who the guest was because he was spectacular and it was Jeff Marek.

It would be great having a guy as talented as him on our talk radio but that wouldn't be easy.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
The MvsW podcasts with him and Wyshynski were legendary. Went on for 7 years and came out almost daily. Sportsnet is wasting his talents as a host. He’s the best analyst they have.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The MvsW podcasts with him and Wyshynski were legendary. Went on for 7 years and came out almost daily. Sportsnet is wasting his talents as a host. He’s the best analyst they have.
Yup....he needs to be in his element. Typical of the network execs to totally get everything wrong.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I listen to KFAN out of Minneapolis daily.

They broadcast the Wild and Vikings. KFAN is awesome.

Started listening for Paul Allen and the Vikes, and if you want pure/mostly sports talk then PA is great (also a great PBP guy). He does a segment called "Vox in the box" where he sits rinkside during morning skates sometimes and interviews/jokes around with both teams. He tries to distract the visiting team by putting money in the hole in tbe glass and telling guys that it is theres if they hit it.

I am at a point where I want less hardcore sports talk (as it is mostly common sensical and extremely repetitive-or-intentionally stupid) and hate call ins mostly.

I listen to the morning show and the mid afternoon show mostly because they talk sports, but also do not take it so seriously.

Long story short: I almost never listen to 1290 and Minnesota has no idea how lucky they are radio wise. Although KFAN crushes in the ratings apparently.

I listen to 1290 more during the Bombers season because I cannot stand CJOB. So, see 1290 in 6 months.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I listen to KFAN out of Minneapolis daily.

They broadcast the Wild and Vikings. KFAN is awesome.

Started listening for Paul Allen and the Vikes, and if you want pure/mostly sports talk then PA is great (also a great PBP guy). He does a segment called "Vox in the box" where he sits rinkside during morning skates sometimes and interviews/jokes around with both teams. He tries to distract the visiting team by putting money in the hole in tbe glass and telling guys that it is theres if they hit it.

Banny almost killed him:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Had to go out today. Got in the car, the radio was on 1290. Some ***holes were talking about video games ferchrissakes! It is a Jets gameday!

In 2 minutes on a Sunday afternoon there was, layed-out for the world to see, the whole story of why sports radio died in Winnipeg. Farewell TSN1290, we hardly knew ye. :shakehead

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Voice of the Riders was just on and told me that I hated Durant more than anything and just got over it when he signed with the Bombers. I was unaware I had any feelings at all about Durant specifically as a player. I hate the Riders sure, but Durant? Do Bomber fans even acknowledge his existence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad