TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
To each their own, I guess.

Westwood continues to grow on me. He's spent a lot of effort learning the analytic side of the game. His opinions are well informed. He sticks to his guns and doesn't roll over when challenged on his opinions. He'll call you out if you say something stupid or ill-informed.

In the crazy and divided political environment going on across the world, I fully understand people being more vocal on their thoughts. So I tip my hat to him. I figure folks can write whatever they want on a personal twitter account. I haven't heard him mention politics stuff much on the radio, but I don't listen to every show.

Totally agree. Westwood and rewucki are the only guys with common sense. Leibl was way better than toth.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
This crappy station sits at or near the bottom of Wpg ratings every quarter. It's horribly under funded by Bell and you get what you pay for. It struggles to get advertisers. That being said I just had a vasectomy, joined a union, and dropped off some scrap metal.

It's embarrassing that a NHL rights holder has two hours of reruns during the day. I got into it on Twitter with Lawless about that and all I got back was snark and sarcasm. The morning show is a disaster. It's the same guests every week. Edmunds, Munz, Hnidy, and Beyak all tow the company line in their 12 minute spots. Ralph is good but he always seems to stop just short of saying something meaningful/controversial. Hustler is fantastic because he comes from a fans prespective and doesn't seem to care if that pisses TNSE off. Lawless is a complete shill for TNSE and it is so transparent it's disgusting.

allthisgold

Oct 8, 2013
This crappy station sits at or near the bottom of Wpg ratings every quarter. It's horribly under funded by Bell and you get what you pay for. It struggles to get advertisers. That being said I just had a vasectomy, joined a union, and dropped off some scrap metal.

It's embarrassing that a NHL rights holder has two hours of reruns during the day. I got into it on Twitter with Lawless about that and all I got back was snark and sarcasm. The morning show is a disaster. It's the same guests every week. Edmunds, Munz, Hnidy, and Beyak all tow the company line in their 12 minute spots. Ralph is good but he always seems to stop just short of saying something meaningful/controversial. Hustler is fantastic because he comes from a fans prespective and doesn't seem to care if that pisses TNSE off. Lawless is a complete shill for TNSE and it is so transparent it's disgusting.

Winnipeg just isn't that big of a market to spend a lot of money on great talent. The Big Show in my opinion has actually improved since Toth took over. Don't get me wrong when he says "and that's my point" there is usually no logic behind it at all and can be frustrating but he is somewhat funny. Brandon and Troy are fine. The way I look at them is that in my car in the morning I am listening to some random people discussing topics that I am interested in. In no way whatsoever do I look at them as hockey experts. They are not. Westwood trys to sound like one but he really does not know more than any listener about the X's and O's of hockey. But he is a likeable person talking about the Jets. Better than nothing.

Rick Ralph is good and should be used more.

I agree about Hustler. He usually makes the most sense of anyone on the station and isn't afraid to push the envelope a little. Lawless can be frustrating but he actually is pretty connected and lands some really good guests.

At the end of the day not an amazing station but when I am not listening to music it is better than nothing. Just don't look to it for expertise.

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
. Lawless can be frustrating but he actually is pretty connected and lands some really good guests.

have to agree Lawless is well connected. Was just saying how we was texting to Ken Hitchcock
Doubt Toth or Westwood have his number

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Winnipeg just isn't that big of a market to spend a lot of money on great talent. The Big Show in my opinion has actually improved since Toth took over. Don't get me wrong when he says "and that's my point" there is usually no logic behind it at all and can be frustrating but he is somewhat funny. Brandon and Troy are fine. The way I look at them is that in my car in the morning I am listening to some random people discussing topics that I am interested in. In no way whatsoever do I look at them as hockey experts. They are not. Westwood trys to sound like one but he really does not know more than any listener about the X's and O's of hockey. But he is a likeable person talking about the Jets. Better than nothing.

Rick Ralph is good and should be used more.

I agree about Hustler. He usually makes the most sense of anyone on the station and isn't afraid to push the envelope a little. Lawless can be frustrating but he actually is pretty connected and lands some really good guests.

At the end of the day not an amazing station but when I am not listening to music it is better than nothing. Just don't look to it for expertise.

In so far as expertise you will find it from Trevor Kidd. Much more so than Hnidy who is required to play by TNSE message machine rules. Viger was a Chevy guy in the AHL and it shows. The "hockey fan" guy with Ralph last game was absolutely brutal. Pumping the tires of Stu, Thorbs and Stafford.

1290 needs to workout a way to get Trev as the colour guy on Jet games. He is one of the very best breaking down plays. Some experience and I could see him on national broadcasts.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
No idea what it is you see in Kidd. I mean he's ok ftmp but never really says much of anything...I think hnidy is more interesting.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What do you think of the Jets focused podcasts?

I think the Illegal Curve podcast has lost a lot with Richard Pollock moving on. The chemistry is just not the same. Ezra has the role of the homer on the podcast which is fine, Richard was always the realist about the Jets, a role I think that is missing on the show.

Anyone listen to the Arctic Ice Hockey podcast? What do you think of it? I think there is room for a good Jets podcast that is independent from TNSE unlike the rest of the media, I wish Arctic Ice Hockey podcast could fill that hole but they are not there yet.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
What do you think of the Jets focused podcasts?

I think the Illegal Curve podcast has lost a lot with Richard Pollock moving on. The chemistry is just not the same. Ezra has the role of the homer on the podcast which is fine, Richard was always the realist about the Jets, a role I think that is missing on the show.

Anyone listen to the Arctic Ice Hockey podcast? What do you think of it? I think there is room for a good Jets podcast that is independent from TNSE unlike the rest of the media, I wish Arctic Ice Hockey podcast could fill that hole but they are not there yet.

Agree about illegal curve without Richard, although I think Dave is getting better and could fill those shoes.

AIH is good, if a little negative. I think it will be great when the jets are good, as they really hate the direction right now (arguably with good reason)

Hockey graphs podcast was the best...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
AIH is good, if a little negative. I think it will be great when the jets are good, as they really hate the direction right now (arguably with good reason)

My main problem with AIH podcast is they spent too much time and energy reverse-trolling the Jets homer trolls. Way too much taking digs/venting about/discussing the Jets homer trolls that they are having twitter vendettas with. I couldn't care less about that as just like most sane people, I mute the Jets homer trolls on twitter and move on. At times it doesn't even feel like a Jets podcast, it feels like a meta podcast discussing the reactions of Jets homers to Jets related news which I have zero interest in (and seems like an odd decision since I very much doubt that the Jets homers they are trying to troll even listen to their podcast)

As to the hosts I enjoy Alan's takes when he is not trying to troll the Jets homers. Papi is very good on the podcast and probably the best one of them right now. I was a huge fan of the rational and sober analysis that Phillip brought to the show, it's a shame that it looks like he has moved on. As for Arby, I could do without him. At this point he's just playing a character and I get zero insights, entertainment or critical discussion from him. He's basically become a caricature of himself and become the opposite version of the Jets homer trolls that he frequently rails against. Sample too small about the new guy Brian that they have on the show but it looks promising.

AIH podcast could take inspiration from the CanucksArmy podcast https://soundcloud.com/satiar-shah . It is very critical of the Canucks, the Canucks management and the takes of Canucks homers but they do it in a rational way without descending to the levels of the Canucks homer trolls which I believe that the AIH podcast is too often guilty of doing

Hockey graphs podcast was the best...

100% it left a huge void that hasn't been filled

RalphyTSN1290

Jan 9, 2013

Well here's a load of crap. You can have your opinions on shows but get your facts straight before shooting off. The bottom of the ratings thing is incorrect. If you are going on ratings of listeners from the age of 12 until death then yes sports stations are lower in that demo. Every sports station will be and this is my third. Sports stations target males 25-54..every single one of them. Those are the ratings sports stations look at and while I am not at liberty to discuss exact numbers I can tell you the station is not anywhere near the bottom of that demo.

Calgary runs a network US feed in midday. It's a larger market.

The new studio that I sit in at CTV or the new equipment that has arrived I guess would address your "underfunding" assessment. Struggling to get advertisers? Simply not true.

Thanks for the "crappy" post.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Well here's a load of crap. You can have your opinions on shows but get your facts straight before shooting off. The bottom of the ratings thing is incorrect. If you are going on ratings of listeners from the age of 12 until death then yes sports stations are lower in that demo. Every sports station will be and this is my third. Sports stations target males 25-54..every single one of them. Those are the ratings sports stations look at and while I am not at liberty to discuss exact numbers I can tell you the station is not anywhere near the bottom of that demo.

The new studio that I sit in at CTV or the new equipment that has arrived I guess would address your "underfunding" assessment. Struggling to get advertisers? Simply not true.

Good comeback :laugh:

Briscodog

May 2, 2016

Let me run down the advertising cycle....vasectomy, birchwood GM, scrap metal, pipe fitters union, TSN radio commercial,.....repeat. And I don't care about new equipment. I'll start listening more when your station spends some money on fresh guests and/or voices. I enjoy your show and your guest lineup is more diverse than the other shows but overall your station is just rinse and repeat. And one more thing.....tell your bosses to change the name of the morning show to The Bickersons. I tune in for five minutes and all I hear is two people yelling at each other and off to satellite radio I go.

I appreciate you replying.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Advertising cycle on other stations is not much better. Certainly the ads on Sirius/XM (for the non-music channels) are even worse. I used to listen to the political stations on xm and it was nothing but hosts trying to convince me to buy gold or Bio Green Clean. And I was paying for the privilege of listening to that.

I'm stoked we have a dedicated sports station that does a pretty good job filling a whole day talking about the Jets and Bombers. In my opinion, they get the ratio of topics to discuss pretty bang on too. Lots and lots of Jets and NHL talk, even in the off-season. Although when I hear "Double D from Assiniboia Downs is up next," I change the channel. Does anyone actually care about horse racing other than gambling addicts?

Anyway, I used to pay for XM. Then I realized I'd rather listen to 1290 then wait for the 1 minute a day the NHL channel devotes to talking about the Jets. Overall, I'm happy with 1290.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

I refuse to believe this is the real Rick Ralph. There are zero obscure tangents in this post. :laugh:

It's one of RR's most identifiable traits and a big part of his radio charm. It takes a special kind of crazy to talk to yourself for the lion's share of a whole radio show. ;)

(I'm just kidding. I believe it's you.)

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Subject matter of post aside, that line is gold.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
No idea what it is you see in Kidd. I mean he's ok ftmp but never really says much of anything...I think hnidy is more interesting.

Kidd is very objective whereas Hnity is not. Depends what your looking for in commentary. When Kidd is doing the game with Rick Ralph I turn the tv off between period and tune in 1290 because I'm not interested in the fluff I get from Beyak and Hnity.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Kidd is very objective whereas Hnity is not. Depends what your looking for in commentary. When Kidd is doing the game with Rick Ralph I turn the tv off between period and tune in 1290 because I'm not interested in the fluff I get from Beyak and Hnity.

Hnidy is a very sharp hockey guy, too bad he's such an insufferable boot lick. Him, Beyak, Edmunds and Munz make me cringe with their TNSE spin.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Speaking of ads, why is the Wpg Fire Department spending money to tell me they have the best service in the world?

I don't listen to much of TSN now, outside of Jets games if I'm on the move.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Speaking of ads, why is the Wpg Fire Department spending money to tell me they have the best service in the world?

I don't listen to much of TSN now, outside of Jets games if I'm on the move.

A lot of the ads on 1290 are kind of odd. Why exactly are unions advertising at all?

I was curious about the ratings, so I did some googling:

http://www.chrisd.ca/2016/12/02/winnipeg-radio-ratings-fall-2016-numeris/#.WIZmR1MrK70

In the overall ratings, TSN1290 is 11th out of 16 overall, rising up to 7th out of 16 in the morning. And that's the overall rating, not the Male 25-54 that Rick Ralph talked about. As well their ratings were up from the year before. Sounds like the radio station is doing pretty well for itself.

I know I like it well enough to tune in via the internet on my commute home in order to hear the latest Jets talk. It sure beats hearing about the Oilers some more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad