TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They lost me at "Edmonds:"...

Munzie and Paul make me realize how good RR is......honestly asking the play by play guys to fill in is a bit unfair because they are VERY VERY different skill sets.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Munzie and Paul make me realize how good RR is......honestly asking the play by play guys to fill in is a bit unfair because they are VERY VERY different skill sets.

Yep hey should really take a look at what ACTUALLY works rather then just filling slots.

I'm not very big on munzie even as a PBP

Love Edmund's calling the game though

Not a big fan of him for anything else. But Ido LOVE his radio PBP

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
And next we're going to talk about the Blue Jays. Baseball. Blue Jays. Baseball. Golf. Baseball. Blue Jays. Assiniboia Downs. Tennis. Back to Blue Jays.

Shoot me now...

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Yeah I was driving to the cemetery this morning so got to listen to almost all of it. Tough to find topics in July I've noticed... ones I'm personally interested in at least. YMMV and all that.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I can tolerate most of the stuff on 1290...but Gabe Morency is the worst. I just can't stand this loogan! What a dolt...I don't gamble and couldn't care less about sports odds or whatever but even aside from that, when he starts telling his stories it's brutal! They go on and on (often pointlessly) and he's endlessly proud of the most idiotic things - like if the story involves him drinking too much he'll have to mention a dozen different ways that he was drunk, sloshed, blotto, inebriated and oh yeah did I mention I was plastered! Really, I know some people claim the guy is good at what he does but he is an imbecile afaic...and I think he just went through his picks for each olympic event alphabetically on air. I can't be sure because I shut it off but I think so. Ugh...

...seems like he's on every day too.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The Blake Wheeler interview on 1290 was really good.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/wheeler-looking-forward-to-heritage-classic-week-1.540072

Didn't realize he was in the city for the development camp, met Laine, and watched the draft lottery with Trouba in Florida

Just listened to the interview. It just confirms my view that Wheeler is the de facto captain of this team, and has been since early last season. The signs have been everywhere.
Personally, I am very happy with this choice...and guess who will be just as happy: Mark Scheifele.:nod:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Ty alert...here we go :shakehead

...hey a Ty call without a single "you know what!" That's a first...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Today may be the worst 41 mins of radio I have ever listened too, this is miles below the Red River College radio shows.

No one's phoning in lately - I've heard it on the Big Show a number of times this summer and even on H&L last week that no one is waiting on the line to talk. That makes some sense though - they always have the same few callers on over and over. If the lines were jammed, they'd bring on new voices to see if anyone could improve on Ty's or North End Whoever's performance (it's not a high bar).

allthisgold

Oct 8, 2013
Matt annoyed me this morning when he was asking the guy in charge of football operations for the CFL why the CFL doesn't have the league automatically review all scoring plays and interceptions like the NFL does. Ahhh.... the CFL does exactly that. Not a big thing I guess but get your facts right before you make suggestions to someone and imply that they are doing it wrong.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Matt annoyed me this morning when he was asking the guy in charge of football operations for the CFL why the CFL doesn't have the league automatically review all scoring plays and interceptions like the NFL does. Ahhh.... the CFL does exactly that. Not a big thing I guess but get your facts right before you make suggestions to someone and imply that they are doing it wrong.

That made me laugh. Direct answer of "We DO do that!"

Their other point was really dumb too because they just said that people did not like the fact that all the challenges really slow the game down. Then they asked him why the league doesn't automatically review all the really close plays. Like guys you just answered your own question before asking it. :laugh:

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
TSN 1290.....what can we say.....The morning show....Westwood is only listenable about 65% of the time. I give him the benefit of the doubt because he is an ex-jock and can speak reasonably well on the radio. When he hosts he's a disaster though. The other two guys, including the guy that used to host the show, are horrible. The phone in portion of the show is a disgrace. The same callers, some with a stupid schtick, and they are completely clueless. If I was Boston Pizza I'd want nothing to do with sponsoring that hour.....Roundtable....Rick Ralph is the only professional broadcaster on this station. He knows what he's doing and it shows. He must look at the rest of the stations lineup and shake his head. You can hear the frustration in his voice when he brings up topics that were discussed on the morning show. His pre and post games shows are top notch.....Warmup/H&L.....Hus is ok. I don't have the hate for him that some do. Both him and Lawless have got better over the years. They talk too much CFL. I realize TSN has Lawless as their "Insider" but c'mon, nobody needs to have three or four segments a show dedicated to the CFL. Instant channel changer for me.....The rest....Edmonds....How does an ex-semi-pro baseball announcer suddenly become an expert on all things Jets? The morning show and H&L have him on frequently and what he doesn't know could fill a warehouse. His insight is next to nothing. When he fills in as host on various programs he's an embarrassment. I don't listen to the radio call of the Jets so I don't have an opinion on that.....Munz....He's ok. More of a professional radio guy and can speak somewhat intelligently on various subjects.....The Illegal Curve guys....Ok at what they do but I believe they buy their airtime from 1290 and are not employees. Makes me wonder what an hour of airtime goes for.

What does this all mean?? How does a radio station with the rights to carry the local NHL games have two hours of reruns through the heart of the day? It's simple. Bell does not care about this radio market. Their on air talent budget is virtually nothing compared to other cities with radio rights. And the fact that they's rather run 2 repeat hours than pay another host reflects that. Their ratings during non-hockey months are abysmal and makes me wonder if they just shut down for July and August would anybody know or care.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I read on FB news he is going to be a rabbi so I would presume he will be done with radio.

You nailed it. He's moving on. Two more weeks...

Hmmm...now what? :(

Gotta admit I'm a tad verklempt. Been listening to the guy most mornings since the Jets came back...

In fact, since I know Matt reads the board here, I'd like to say thanks man. As much as I (we) like to ***** and moan about minutia, the fact is you and the BS have helped me make it through some tough times over the past 6 years. I'm in the midst of one of those times now, and every morning I get up to get ready for work and I turn on the BS and whether it's good or bad, it gets my mind off my own life for a while. I listen enough that I've become completely familiar with all your annoying quirks! Lol. Good luck...I'm gonna miss hearing your voice every morning...

Last edited:

Thesaurus

Lyrical Wordsmith
Dec 14, 2011
The Cosmos
The Big Show is taking a big hit with Matt leaving. Every time he goes on vacation the glaring hole he leaves as a host and general leader of the group makes the show hard to listen to.

Good luck to him though, hope he finds success down his new path. Too bad Jay Richardson is blacklisted.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Really not sorry to see him leave but who is waiting in the wings scares me too. Edwards? Toth?

At least Edwards has some connection to the Jets, so in that respect he's my choice right now. Toth would be a disaster, but I fear they are gearing him up for a job on TSN somewhere. Westwood is fine, but he really knows nothing when it comes to hockey and don't get him started on football or equal rights:help:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Really not sorry to see him leave but who is waiting in the wings scares me too. Edwards? Toth?

At least Edwards has some connection to the Jets, so in that respect he's my choice right now. Toth would be a disaster, but I fear they are gearing him up for a job on TSN somewhere. Westwood is fine, but he really knows nothing when it comes to hockey and don't get him started on football or equal rights:help:

You mean Edmonds? He's the worst. Too many years stuck alone in the booth calling unaffiliated minor league ball games has turned him into a gravelly voiced lone-wolf who can spin a 30 second anecdote into a 10 minute epic of boredom. They need a pro, preferably with a good sense of humour, who can mesh with the other guys. What's Joe Aiello doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad