TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Continue here.

Arash Madani tweeted that Jim Toth is out of work tonight. Surprise CJOB would let him go, but hope to hell he doesn't end up at TSN1290. Can't stand his arrogance.

Disagree. Would love Toth on 1290. He's already close with Hustler and Lawless. 10-11am slot is replays, 1-3pm is replays. Got 3 hours to fill during day...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Toth can take over the morning show on 1290 and it would be an immediate HUGE improvement!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
LOL, not.

But he could certainly take over one of the repeat slots and improve it. I wouldn't mind that at all...

Ober

Sep 18, 2012
One of these two stations (one would guess) is going to get the broadcast rights to the Moose games.

I for one hope it will be TSN1290 and more guys like Toth would be a welcome addition.

Is Munz going to do the play-by-play again if it is indeed 1290...that has always been my feeling when Edmonds took over.

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
No to Toth.

Maybe I'm living too much in yesteryear however I'd like to see Curt Keilbach or the 2 Sports Guys get a show on TSN 1290... :D

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
One of these two stations (one would guess) is going to get the broadcast rights to the Moose games.

I for one hope it will be TSN1290 and more guys like Toth would be a welcome addition.

Is Munz going to do the play-by-play again if it is indeed 1290...that has always been my feeling when Edmonds took over.

Can't imagine 1290 wouldn't be the front runner for the PBP of the Moose games. I'd imagine they would have some kind of agreement with another station to carry the games when the Jets and Moose play on the same night.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am really going to miss Brian Rogers on the Moose calls. That guy was a character.

basplit

Jan 12, 2014
Toth would be a good add to that group.

He's a PRO---unlike others there I. Curve ( coff coff )

I would grab him.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Toth can take over the morning show on 1290 and it would be an immediate HUGE improvement!

This would be great. I have tried to listen to a podcast of the morning show but it is unbearable for more than 10 minutes. Same goes for amateur hour H&L and the [Illegal Curve] guys with the insider references [mod]. I would also give Edmunds a show between hockey seasons. He did a good job replacing Ralphy. Bauming does a nice job reporting.
Ralphy makes that station along with the Jets rights.

Last edited by a moderator:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Afaic, the Big Show, Ralph's show and H&L are basically all equal. I can listen to all three without too much trouble. They all are equally entertaining, and - occasionally - equally annoying. Toth would fit in that category as well. The Big Show used to be great. The IC show really isn't good...those guys just sound like they are in over their heads most of the time.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Unrelated to anything being discussed but I wish the "BREAKING NEWS" claxon on 1290 that they play before any big thing goes down was limited to important stuff relating to our local teams. I mean I know the stuff the Jays have done this week is big, but really I don't care that much. Some huge contract signing by an NFL team isn't all that big a deal either. Every time they play that I think "OK, Buff or Ladd news incoming!" Then it's a Jays thing or a Golf story or something...huge letdown! :D

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Afaic, the Big Show, Ralph's show and H&L are basically all equal. I can listen to all three without too much trouble. They all are equally entertaining, and - occasionally - equally annoying. Toth would fit in that category as well. The Big Show used to be great. The IC show really isn't good...those guys just sound like they are in over their heads most of the time.

Ralph by far the best on 1290, Toth would be on par with Hustler who is the second best personality on 1290!

PS Used to listen to the BIG Show until Richardson left.

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
the big show is good the day of and day after jets/bomber games. the other days of the year are not so good. hustler is definitely a pro radio guy.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
the big show is good the day of and day after jets/bomber games. the other days of the year are not so good. hustler is definitely a pro radio guy.

Yeah that's a pretty accurate statement - luckily there's a fair number of days that follow Jet's and Bomber games.

I like Hustler too. However, Lawless I can take or leave...

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Ralph by far the best on 1290, Toth would be on par with Hustler who is the second best personality on 1290!

PS Used to listen to the BIG Show until Richardson left.

Well Ralphie has the Big City experience on his CV right? Makes sense he'd be the most "pro." But true as that may be, I find some of his "things" get tiresome - his interviews often bog down and drag out due to his incessant "word play gags." His "snark" gets to be a bit much at times. Every once in a while he goes on an "I don't get" rant - like "I don't get The Rolling Stones..." - and those are often pretty lame. Oh and did you know he often thought "lo and behold" would make a good name for a law firm? :D I like RR ftmp but professionalism can be over-rated...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well Ralphie has the Big City experience on his CV right? Makes sense he'd be the most "pro." But true as that may be, I find some of his "things" get tiresome - his interviews often bog down and drag out due to his incessant "word play gags." His "snark" gets to be a bit much at times. Every once in a while he goes on an "I don't get" rant - like "I don't get The Rolling Stones..." - and those are often pretty lame. Oh and did you know he often thought "lo and behold" would make a good name for a law firm? :D I like RR ftmp but professionalism can be over-rated...

RR gets put in a REALLY tough spot though. He gets second crack at the topics that have been beat to death on the morning show and he gets to do it with.....wait for it.......zero help. The Round table where the station is to have more than one host. He has nobody to banter with so he has to add lib. All the shows get multiple hosts so at least there is conversation and on top of it Rick doesn't take calls (thank god I guess they cut him slack for dealing with all the booze dummies after the Jets games). Either way I can't blame Rick for monolouging a bit or going off on a tangent now and then. How he can keep two hours fresh is beyond me.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I definitely agree he's much better with a co host or two. Like I said, I like him...I just don't think he's all that much more entertaining than a couple of the other shows.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I definitely agree he's much better with a co host or two. Like I said, I like him...I just don't think he's all that much more entertaining than a couple of the other shows.

I think its personal preference on these things so everyone is right. I wasn't big on RR at first but he has grown on me and I enjoy his show now. The main challenge is I don't catch much of it unless I am driving. I think he is at his best with Ryan Reaves and I am not joking. I realize Ryan has the day job so this is a pipe dream but they have great on air chemistry.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't mind Toth as a broadcaster, but he really did not know how to debate with listeners.

I think he would have done much better in the non social media age, that's for sure. There is an art to debate with your listeners that he either did not understand, or was unwilling to implement.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Just listened to Noel on 1290 and he was asked about analytics and he said "I had access to a lot of it in Winnipeg and we had some really good stuff there"
I still like listening to that guy that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad