TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I like the warm up the best, but I'm wired a whole lot differently than most people. I like that they had a segment on Olympic Table Tennis, for example. I love niche sports, and a picture into those niche sports is fascinating to me.

Rick is a pro, and I totally was harder on him in the past than I should have been, especially when interviewing about a situation I was, at the time far too embedded in to evaluate fairly.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I have no idea how to the radio persona is but he's not very good at logic. Just check his Twitter feed/reply.

If he ends up the host you won't be able to hear anything he says over the sound of pavelecs ..... Contract ... In his mouth.

Maybe he wouldn't be bad but the "I'm a pro I know better then you silly fans" is strong in this one.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I have no idea how to the radio persona is but he's not very good at logic. Just check his Twitter feed/reply.

If he ends up the host you won't be able to hear anything he says over the sound of pavelecs ..... Contract ... In his mouth.

Maybe he wouldn't be bad but the "I'm a pro I know better then you silly fans" is strong in this one.

You must be talking about Toth right? Totally full of himself

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Money is probably better on 92 than 1290, and he left 97 out of solidarity with Philly and Rena so I don't think he'd leave for that spot.

The station doesn't sound as professional as other sports radio stations in the country because it is a smaller market. They don't have the budget to bring in top end radio guys and the local pickings are fairly slim. It's all Red River Crecomm grads. Great program but you're getting a lot of inexperienced people on there from the get go. The Jets have also only been here for 5 seasons - that pushed the station but it's still catching up to long standing Rogers and Bell stations.

The station might be owned by Bell but it has to be self sufficient and Bell won't pay big money from the corporate coffers to bring out guys from Toronto or Vancouver. We can bemoan the quality of some shows (I have) or that they play repeats or US programs at night or Sundays but it will take time for this station to become a large enough station to even fill day to day programing.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
I used to bemoan the fact that Munz was gonna go from Moose pxp man to the Jets. But now that I've listened to a few games by Edmonds (it's almost always TV...not radio), I realize what we have there. Munz has grown on me a lot and I think his pxp is quite good.

On a side note, I hope we have Beyak for a while yet. He'll be tough to replace.

What do people think of Mitch Peacock? I have only caught his play-by-play a few times but preferred him to the others. It would be better I think to have him do the Jet games with a former NHL'er like Trev Kidd.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I think we should steal Florida's radio announcer. "Slap me silly and call me Sally that's a goooooooaaaaaal"

Bwadlay

Feb 22, 2016
Money is probably better on 92 than 1290, and he left 97 out of solidarity with Philly and Rena so I don't think he'd leave for that spot.

The station doesn't sound as professional as other sports radio stations in the country because it is a smaller market. They don't have the budget to bring in top end radio guys and the local pickings are fairly slim. It's all Red River Crecomm grads. Great program but you're getting a lot of inexperienced people on there from the get go. The Jets have also only been here for 5 seasons - that pushed the station but it's still catching up to long standing Rogers and Bell stations.

The station might be owned by Bell but it has to be self sufficient and Bell won't pay big money from the corporate coffers to bring out guys from Toronto or Vancouver. We can bemoan the quality of some shows (I have) or that they play repeats or US programs at night or Sundays but it will take time for this station to become a large enough station to even fill day to day programing.

I would prefer they use someone with local roots. Someone who is from the area, who understands what it's like to be a Manitoban.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

They'll never become any larger than they are with the low quality programming they have now.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
They'll never become any larger than they are with the low quality programming they have now.

Kind of a Catch-22. I don't see the station gaining enough of a ratings boost relative to the money it would cost them to improve the station overall.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I've said this before but it shocks me that TSN allows this station to fly its flag, given the talent they have.

Go listen to any other TSN radio station online. Even for just 10 minutes. Every other city in the country has a professional product with great talent and top industry guests. 1290 is amateur hour 24/7 and it's embarrassing. Winnipeg doesn't deserve a third rate product. Something needs to be done. If the talent pool in Manitoba is this shallow, TSN needs to inject something.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I've said this before but it shocks me that TSN allows this station to fly its flag, given the talent they have.

Go listen to any other TSN radio station online. Even for just 10 minutes. Every other city in the country has a professional product with great talent and top industry guests. 1290 is amateur hour 24/7 and it's embarrassing. Winnipeg doesn't deserve a third rate product. Something needs to be done. If the talent pool in Manitoba is this shallow, TSN needs to inject something.

Living in Edmonton, I regularly listen to TSN 1260 when I'm in the car. But I also listen to 1290 on the internet when I'm riding transit.

Maybe it's because I only listen during morning and afternoon rush hour, but I can't say I notice a huge difference in quality. I prefer Edmonton's morning guys Neilson & Fraser to the Winnipeg morning crew, but I'd take Hustler & Lawless over Jason Gregor any day in the afternoon.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
Did anybody catch the awkward segment this morning where Westwood was saying he has inside information on Ladd and why he didn't re-sign here that he can't share publicly? He was trying to win an argument with a caller, and basically said you're wrong and I have evidence but I'm not going to say it, so I took it with a grain of salt.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

I've listened to many other sports talk shows across Canada and North America, and I completely disagree with your assessment of TSN 1290's talent.

The Leible and Westwood do a solid job with the morning show, Brandon I could do without. Westwood has also improved his game a lot over the past 5 years. But the end product is decent, has a solid flow to it and provides humor.

Rick Ralph is as polished as any sports radio media personality there is out there. From his voice, delivery, interview style, he is as solid as anything out there.

Hustler and Lawless is also, for the most part, entertaining and polished as well.

That is pretty much 80% of their weekly content wrapped up in those three shows, and all are solid.

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
Did anybody catch the awkward segment this morning where Westwood was saying he has inside information on Ladd and why he didn't re-sign here that he can't share publicly? He was trying to win an argument with a caller, and basically said you're wrong and I have evidence but I'm not going to say it, so I took it with a grain of salt.

Yes, I heard that and my feeling was if you can't say it, don't bring it up in the first place.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Ralphy

I've listened to many other sports talk shows across Canada and North America, and I completely disagree with your assessment of TSN 1290's talent.

The Leible and Westwood do a solid job with the morning show, Brandon I could do without. Westwood has also improved his game a lot over the past 5 years. But the end product is decent, has a solid flow to it and provides humor.

Rick Ralph is as polished as any sports radio media personality there is out there. From his voice, delivery, interview style, he is as solid as anything out there.

Hustler and Lawless is also, for the most part, entertaining and polished as well.

That is pretty much 80% of their weekly content wrapped up in those three shows, and all are solid.

Right on Rick Ralph but not so much on the rest. They are bargain hires.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
TSN isn't allocating funds to the different cities and their stations. They have to be self-sufficient. The question I'd ask to people saying they need to spend on bringing in new radio talent is where would the money come from?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yes, I heard that and my feeling was if you can't say it, don't bring it up in the first place.

yeah well, it ain't a court of law. I mean I suspect if Westwood says he knows something he's probably not lying, but at the same time I wouldn't expect him to share it on the air. In the end, it's up to the individual if they wan't to buy what he's selling or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad