TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's no point having a dedicated sports night. TSN is all sports and they can't even draw a 2 share.

When you are running a radio station you have to decide what your audience is going to be and what that audience will draw in numbers, demographic, and most importantly, ad rates.

CJOB needs to get as much of the demo that has traditionally listened to them as they can. That demo doesn't want hour long sports shows. No sense trying to pry a few listeners away from TSN at the expense of their wider audience.

It's niche programming.

TSN needs to up their game. They really are not very good. The sports radio market may be bigger than their current share indicates.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
There's no point having a dedicated sports night. TSN is all sports and they can't even draw a 2 share.

When you are running a radio station you have to decide what your audience is going to be and what that audience will draw in numbers, demographic, and most importantly, ad rates.

CJOB needs to get as much of the demo that has traditionally listened to them as they can. That demo doesn't want hour long sports shows. No sense trying to pry a few listeners away from TSN at the expense of their wider audience.

It's niche programming.

good post

you should work in radio

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Their traditional demo always gave sports shows good ratings.

Do you have proof of this? It's highly unlikely given what the demographic is.

Further evidence suggests that with the decay of ratings from CJOB from that demographic at the hands of CBC, which doesn't do sports, would suggest sports coverage is hurting their ratings, not helping.

I think CJOB has realized that, and have realized they won't be able to compete against TSN. You are seeing the byproduct of that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
TSN needs to up their game. They really are not very good. The sports radio market may be bigger than their current share indicates.

I highly doubt it, Mortimer. I think they could do better, if they focused more on local and got rid of syndicated crap no one wants, but the cost of doing things like meaningfully covering Junior A, MMHL, and other provincial sports would not cover the revenue generated by it. If Winnipeg (and Manitoba) had a larger population, you could expand your regional, and minor league coverage in a model that would increase ratings and net profit considering the cost of covering said sport.

Niche programming is a very difficult format to manage. Your profit margins are razor thin and you can go from the black to red very easily. It's not like a wide demo format where you can experiment and have fluctuations only impact profit, not loss.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I used to really enjoy listening to 1290 to hear about local sports/teams but then I discovered HF and rarely if ever listen to it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I listen to 1290 all day long. It ain't perfect, but it's way way better than OB! lol...but I agree they should put together some local content to fill the hours they currently fill with replays and syndicated crud...

I'm hoping for some Moose coverage over the winter. That should fill some more time.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I listen to 1290 all day long. It ain't perfect, but it's way way better than OB! lol...but I agree they should put together some local content to fill the hours they currently fill with replays and syndicated crud...

I'm hoping for some Moose coverage over the winter. That should fill some more time.

That was one of the reasons I stopped listening. I liked listening to H&L but then that was always followed by Jim Rome who I couldn't listen to.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I highly doubt it, Mortimer. I think they could do better, if they focused more on local and got rid of syndicated crap no one wants, but the cost of doing things like meaningfully covering Junior A, MMHL, and other provincial sports would not cover the revenue generated by it. If Winnipeg (and Manitoba) had a larger population, you could expand your regional, and minor league coverage in a model that would increase ratings and net profit considering the cost of covering said sport.

Niche programming is a very difficult format to manage. Your profit margins are razor thin and you can go from the black to red very easily. It's not like a wide demo format where you can experiment and have fluctuations only impact profit, not loss.

I don't listen to 1290 much in large part because they do such a poor job. Ralph is pretty good. I listen to H&L a bit when Lawless is busy elsewhere, less when he is on. They could improve their local and amateur coverage pretty cheaply I think with some low cost stringers, even free volunteer reporters. Regional is a little tougher because of distance, the very small markets and 1290's weak signal. Just moving to a lower spot on the AM band would help. There should be room since there are a lot fewer AM stations than there used to be. A few more watts cost very little. The syndicated stuff from the US just annoys me, making me less inclined to tune them in at any time.

My point is that there is probably an unserved market out there that could be substantial. I don't want to start guessing how big it is or isn't but until they have provided a product deserving of success I don't think the market can be judged by their limited results.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't listen to 1290 much in large part because they do such a poor job. Ralph is pretty good. I listen to H&L a bit when Lawless is busy elsewhere, less when he is on. They could improve their local and amateur coverage pretty cheaply I think with some low cost stringers, even free volunteer reporters. Regional is a little tougher because of distance, the very small markets and 1290's weak signal. Just moving to a lower spot on the AM band would help. There should be room since there are a lot fewer AM stations than there used to be. A few more watts cost very little. The syndicated stuff from the US just annoys me, making me less inclined to tune them in at any time.

My point is that there is probably an unserved market out there that could be substantial. I don't want to start guessing how big it is or isn't but until they have provided a product deserving of success I don't think the market can be judged by their limited results.

You do realize that TSN is unionized, right? That eliminates low cost and volunteer reporting (other than internships, and you don't want interns doing that stuff. If you think TSN sounds bad now...)

I'd say that Winnipeg is probably too small (surrounding market considered) for an all sports station. The reason we have one at all is that the mothercorp has a building here with profitable radio stations already and all of the branding and support nationally via syndication allows for filler programming that satisfies all the CRTC can con regulations, and other programming to have something other than dead air at other times.

As for moving around on the dial, I won't bore you with the details on that. Let's just say it's a very complicated and expensive endeavour that a niche station is not going to undertake.

If Manitoba had some Saskatoon/ Regina/ Lethbridge sized cities that raised our population over 3 million I could see TSN becoming more of a provincial broadcaster with repeaters, and local/ regional programming, but the population just isn't there.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011

Pretty much agree with every word.

Can't listen to the BS in the morning and lawless at all.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
I listen to Ralpy's show via podcast every day along with PrimeTime during gym time. Can someone explain why there are nearly no commercials? Is there a regulatory reason they do not go for that revenue? The only one usually on McCowan's show is for male breast reduction.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I listen to Ralpy's show via podcast every day along with PrimeTime during gym time. Can someone explain why there are nearly no commercials? Is there a regulatory reason they do not go for that revenue? The only one usually on McCowan's show is for male breast reduction.

For the podcasts? The advertisers would have to pay for that separately, and may choose not to do so if it doesn't make sense from a marketing / audience standpoint.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You do realize that TSN is unionized, right? That eliminates low cost and volunteer reporting (other than internships, and you don't want interns doing that stuff. If you think TSN sounds bad now...)

I'd say that Winnipeg is probably too small (surrounding market considered) for an all sports station. The reason we have one at all is that the mothercorp has a building here with profitable radio stations already and all of the branding and support nationally via syndication allows for filler programming that satisfies all the CRTC can con regulations, and other programming to have something other than dead air at other times.

As for moving around on the dial, I won't bore you with the details on that. Let's just say it's a very complicated and expensive endeavour that a niche station is not going to undertake.

If Manitoba had some Saskatoon/ Regina/ Lethbridge sized cities that raised our population over 3 million I could see TSN becoming more of a provincial broadcaster with repeaters, and local/ regional programming, but the population just isn't there.

Yeah, hadn't thought of union rules at all. :laugh: That rules out volunteers going on-air. They can phone in results to be read by a union member though, or at least it used to be done that way years ago. Depending on their contract they may be able to use low cost reporters though. A stringer can contribute a small amount of work and be paid accordingly. They don't have to be on full-time salary.

The rest I can't argue with. I'm pretty sure 1290 could raise their audience by quite a bit but it could still be too small. If they can't get more advertising revenue than what comes from selling nutritional supplements and vasectomies a bigger audience isn't going to help.

Go ahead and bore me with some details on improving their signal quality. I know there are vacancies in the band and I know other stations have made that move from time to time.

I know you can't make money trying to sell a bad product even in a strong market. In many ways it seems to me that 1290 just isn't trying.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I tend to agree with Jet regarding the population numbers. I guess we should be thankful we even have an all sports station.

The one thing I hate is that it seems every time I get into my truck, they re playing the weekly best of show and it's always at the freaking same spot. I'm usually not in my vehicle all that much so it's not a big deal. I usually catch a bit of the morning show and a bit of H&L on my way to and from work. If read on here that there was a good guest / interview i'll check out the pod cast.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

I don't think there's much, or any, of a market for hyper-local and amateur sports. People aren't interested in the MJHL, or high school sports, or whatever.

I tend to switch between TSN 1290 (thank you streaming audio!) and TSN 1260 in Edmonton, and occasionally Sportsnet 960 in Calgary. 1290 does sound the cheapest, and is the only one to play syndicated content during the work day. But even the stations in bigger markets talk almost exclusively about pro sports: NHL, CFL and NFL dominate, along with a side of baseball (more now with the Jays doing well) and NBA.

When any minor or local sports are talked you can tell it's done as a community service, and not because it brings in listeners. They almost apologize for it.

If 1290 wanted to extend to original programming during the day they're not going to be covering new sports. They're just going to hire additional hosts and have the same mix of yet more talk about the same-old sports.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
By the way have Moose radio rights been announced yet? A quick google search turned up nothing.

It's very late in the day for nothing to have been announced. Makes me wonder if they are even going to be carried...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think there's much, or any, of a market for hyper-local and amateur sports. People aren't interested in the MJHL, or high school sports, or whatever.

I tend to switch between TSN 1290 (thank you streaming audio!) and TSN 1260 in Edmonton, and occasionally Sportsnet 960 in Calgary. 1290 does sound the cheapest, and is the only one to play syndicated content during the work day. But even the stations in bigger markets talk almost exclusively about pro sports: NHL, CFL and NFL dominate, along with a side of baseball (more now with the Jays doing well) and NBA.

When any minor or local sports are talked you can tell it's done as a community service, and not because it brings in listeners. They almost apologize for it.

If 1290 wanted to extend to original programming during the day they're not going to be covering new sports. They're just going to hire additional hosts and have the same mix of yet more talk about the same-old sports.

I agree there is limited interest in amateur sports. More than none though. And you build interest by covering it. I'm not suggesting massive coverage but when sports is all you do you should be able to do it all. It seems to me that back when I used to watch the local News/Weather/Sports on TV they gave more coverage to local amateur sports in their 20 minutes of air time than what 1290 does in their nothing but sports programming.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
By the way have Moose radio rights been announced yet? A quick google search turned up nothing.

It's very late in the day for nothing to have been announced. Makes me wonder if they are even going to be carried...

Well they have two AHL level PxP men employed already in Munz and Edmonds!:sarcasm:

RalphyTSN1290

Jan 9, 2013

A lot of hot air in this conversation. All sports stations target males 25-54. No one targets 12+. :shakehead

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I am an avid listener of 1290 on the drive to work, at lunch and the drive home. I find it entertaining which it is suppose to do. Certainly not a big fan of the US shows or competitive eating but it is entertainment.

Kids back to school now so I prefer to turn down the Dr. Jay adds rather than have my 3 and 7 year old singing the vasectomy song. My wife wasn't too impressed.:shakehead

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I am an avid listener of 1290 on the drive to work, at lunch and the drive home. I find it entertaining which it is suppose to do. Certainly not a big fan of the US shows or competitive eating but it is entertainment.

Kids back to school now so I prefer to turn down the Dr. Jay adds rather than have my 3 and 7 year old singing the vasectomy song. My wife wasn't too impressed.:shakehead

I think its a catchy Jingle.................. " I DO".........:sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This is hilarious. My kids are 3 and soon to be 7 (sept 25th) and my kid loves that jingle. I always scramble to turn it off but he can sing the first part of it perfectly :amazed:

Plus uncle Troy has to clean it up a bit. He is always saying Freakin as a substitute for the F bomb and tends to swear a bit which isn't great for the preschooler and grade 1 on the drive in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad