TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just listened to Noel on 1290 and he was asked about analytics and he said "I had access to a lot of it in Winnipeg and we had some really good stuff there"
I still like listening to that guy that's for sure.

I'd like to see him in broadcasting. He is an entertaining speaker.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I don't get the constant mentions of competitive eating on 1290. It feels like one of those inside jokes that doesn't make any sense when it's fully explained to you.

:huh:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I don't get the constant mentions of competitive eating on 1290. It feels like one of those inside jokes that doesn't make any sense when it's fully explained to you.

:huh:

It would appear that it is a joke that has run its course and for whatever reason it just keeps on going. Hopefully after the local Winnipeg contest it can be put to rest until next July 4.

I'd much rather have amateur sports content fill any summer voids. Bison and Rifle football. Upcoming WHL, MJHL and MMJHL stuff etc....I am not too interested with who can eat the most perogies at the Ukrainian pavillion. If it was beer chugging at the Irish pavillion...well that is pure sports entertainment.:yo:

Hustler seems to have a passion for competetive eating and wrestling. :laugh:

The Noel interview was good today at lunch. Lots of analytics with the Jets but mainly of use for management. Admitted that he didn't think about it while coaching the game. Perhaps he should have.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Noel is an entertaining enough speaker, but I find myself less inclined to put much weight behind his words now. I was a supporter for his first 2 seasons here, but after that I gradually started to realize that hiring him was probably a mistake...and given the fact that he hasn't even been offered an assistant coaching position in the NHL it would seem GMs around the league feel the same way.

When you listen to him talk, everything is "good stuff" - analytics is "good stuff" but as a coach you go by instinct. I guess that's fine if your instincts are "good stuff" but if they maybe aren't so good, well that's a problem...

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Wow, interrupting the Blue Jays game to get some hard hitting news on...Mike Richards...who hasn't been relevant for a couple years now?

Here I thought we were getting breaking news on and Andrew Ladd or Dustin Byfuglien signing.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Wow, interrupting the Blue Jays game to get some hard hitting news on...Mike Richards...who hasn't been relevant for a couple years now?

Here I thought we were getting breaking news on and Andrew Ladd or Dustin Byfuglien signing.

heh...like I said earlier in the thread, I wish those "Breaking News" things were reserved for stuff relevant to Winnipeg sports teams.

basplit

Jan 12, 2014

I don't think it was breaking news--Its Started at 4:00 was the start of H & L and Lawless and Edmonds counldt wait.

My god is w/o Hus the show is bad...Lawless is lost as he tries to makes his way though it all. W/o Hus there he TRIES to carry the show....smh.

A guys gotta know his limits---This week Rick and Hus were gone for the day..tried to listen its was painful....

They really need to upgrade ..Toth would be a great hire.

basplit

Jan 12, 2014
Guessing its just me---but Hus sure is missed--listening to Lawless go on and on and Buaming acting as a yes man in painful....Click...

Whens Hus back?

Rick does so much more with just himself---hey I know they are doing their best..
but my god...

Hire Toth the station needs a upgrade big time.
Much more polished than 80% of who they have there.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Guessing its just me---but Hus sure is missed--listening to Lawless go on and on and Buaming acting as a yes man in painful....Click...

Whens Hus back?

Rick does so much more with just himself---hey I know they are doing their best..
but my god...

Hire Toth the station needs a upgrade big time.
Much more polished than 80% of who they have there.

I think the problem is that radio is dead. Have you listened to any other stations? Its all crap, might as well be dead air.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
H & L interview with Chipman today was great.

1. Extensive negotiations with Buff and Ladd
2. Outdoor game early next season and 3rd jersey unveiled
3. Currency issues offset by NHL and hedgeing-no issues for Jets
4. 40 percent of NHL revenues from 7 Canadian teams.
5. Franchise value of 500 million not agreed upon yet for QC but values certainly up

Great show today on H and L :handclap:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

5. Franchise value of 500 million not agreed upon yet for QC but values certainly up

Wow, somebody actually said something with substance (almost)? I may have to check it out.

basplit

Jan 12, 2014

Yes it was very good..:nod:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Boy CJOB has really dumped the sports stuff eh? Toth is gone, no more Sunday Morning Hockey show...do they still do the coaches show?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I like #4, it made me chuckle for some reason.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

#4. reaffirms what anyone north of the 49th and what those living in real NHL markets in the US already know.

Bettman's delusion that hockey will work in Vegas and Phoenix is nuts, if Bettman had his way a third try in Atlanta would be a go!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Boy CJOB has really dumped the sports stuff eh? Toth is gone, no more Sunday Morning Hockey show...do they still do the coaches show?

No they have decided to go away from content on any topic and just play ads full time.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

There's no money in it.

They have been the big dog in the city for so many years but their attempt to prevent TSN from growing share in sports has hurt their News/ Talk department and has caused them to start losing share to CBC.

I'd imagine they are realizing they need to stick with a heavy news/ talk focus where the money and ratings are, and just provide sports as color to the more important first 2, which is what most news/talk stations do.

CHED in Edmonton is CJOB's compatriot there, but different in that they have an all news to compete against and they also own the rights to the Oilers.

TSN might be winning the sports game but the share they get is putrid. It's barely enough to keep running. They have a megacorp to front them, and their hockey revenue probably makes it worthwile.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
No they have decided to go away from content on any topic and just play ads full time.

yeah pretty much. I know they get big numbers, but it's hard for me to believe the demographic they get is very appealing to many advertisers. I'm 48...not exactly a kid, but even I find OB monumentally dull. The gardening shows...the vegetable guy, CLoutier, the afternoon show featuring North America's most boring radio host...it blows my mind that they get the ratings they do.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
yeah pretty much. I know they get big numbers, but it's hard for me to believe the demographic they get is very appealing to many advertisers. I'm 48...not exactly a kid, but even I find OB monumentally dull. The gardening shows...the vegetable guy, CLoutier, the afternoon show featuring North America's most boring radio host...it blows my mind that they get the ratings they do.

That's the problem. They have a HUGE share 12+ (all listeners in a market) but they have very low numbers in the most desired demographics.

Having 100,000 listeners 55-64 is not as desirable as having 10,000 listeners who are 25-54 females. Those are the people who buy the majority of things. That is why you see 5 stations in Winnipeg right now going after that target.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

CJOB is about 50% commercials now. I really notice this when I listen through archives and can skip the commercials.

CJOB is in a tough spot. I believe they have drawn a bigger female audience with the afternoon show. Their mornings have been really bad for a long time. I only listen now if there is doubt about school closures due to blizzards.

CJOB could concentrate on a dedicated sports night, or hour, to blend in with their shows. But right now it just isn't working.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
CJOB is about 50% commercials now. I really notice this when I listen through archives and can skip the commercials.

CJOB is in a tough spot. I believe they have drawn a bigger female audience with the afternoon show. Their mornings have been really bad for a long time. I only listen now if there is doubt about school closures due to blizzards.

CJOB could concentrate on a dedicated sports night, or hour, to blend in with their shows. But right now it just isn't working.

There's no point having a dedicated sports night. TSN is all sports and they can't even draw a 2 share.

When you are running a radio station you have to decide what your audience is going to be and what that audience will draw in numbers, demographic, and most importantly, ad rates.

CJOB needs to get as much of the demo that has traditionally listened to them as they can. That demo doesn't want hour long sports shows. No sense trying to pry a few listeners away from TSN at the expense of their wider audience.

It's niche programming.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
There's no point having a dedicated sports night. TSN is all sports and they can't even draw a 2 share.

When you are running a radio station you have to decide what your audience is going to be and what that audience will draw in numbers, demographic, and most importantly, ad rates.

CJOB needs to get as much of the demo that has traditionally listened to them as they can. That demo doesn't want hour long sports shows. No sense trying to pry a few listeners away from TSN at the expense of their wider audience.

It's niche programming.

Their traditional demo always gave sports shows good ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad