News Article: 1260 shut down by Bell

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I’ve crapped on JG a bit in the past, but man did he say it well in this article.

At the end of the day these aren’t shows or business, they are collections of people, like us, who have a shared love of something. We come together in this platform to share and converse, others did so by listening to his AM radio show (or others) and or his podcasts. I wish him and his affected colleagues all the best going forward. We may have not always agreed but I respect JG and others that are willing to open up and share their views, knowing that they will receive both accolades and sharp criticism for doing so.

They are all just trying to do their best.
Thats weird that Gregor rented the airtime from 1260. I did not know that.

He's certainly right it's about the human connection that you make, rather than about purely being a source of information. I mean I wouldn't tune in to find out who won last night's game.

I'm a hockey dad, I spend tons of time at the rink. I remember one time seeing Strudwick at the rink watching his kid. For a moment I was like "hey I know that guy - I should go over and say hi" only to think better of it - he's just there to watch his kid, just like me. But that was the power of radio that I felt like I knew him.

Reactions: brentashton

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Waking up to a cleaned up garage isn't the worst thing. half the stuff in there is junk or parts or hardware or lumber "I'll use sometime in some lifetime" lol

But the amount of times I've left the garage door open is zero. I just don't see how it happens. Do people need an alarm because they forgot to shut the front door. No, you just do it, and remember. heh
I'm glad your wife and kids better than mine. :)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Neilson posts a "thanks to the listeners" video.

It does have to be weird to be laid off right as you start a golf trip (you can see this was recorded at a course). He says he hasn't even told his kids yet - that's for Sunday. But you can tell he gets a little emotional as he records the video.

He says there's a "pretty good chance" he'll keep doing CFL play-by-play (odd, I would have thought TSN would want things like that tied down right away), but sounds like him and Eric are going to keep the show alive in some fashion. He's already looking for 'sponsors' (he doesn't use that word, but I think it was clear that's what he meant).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

It does have to be weird to be laid off right as you start a golf trip (you can see this was recorded at a course). He says he hasn't even told his kids yet - that's for Sunday. But you can tell he gets a little emotional as he records the video.

He says there's a "pretty good chance" he'll keep doing CFL play-by-play (odd, I would have thought TSN would want things like that tied down right away), but sounds like him and Eric are going to keep the show alive in some fashion. He's already looking for 'sponsors' (he doesn't use that word, but I think it was clear that's what he meant).

Man I thought this would be a blessing in disguise for Dusty to get out of the morning show and be able to live a half normal life. Between podcasts, TV broadcasts and two young kids I have no idea how he had time to do all that and the morning show.

Like when the hell did he ever sleep. This isn't like doing the morning news where you read shit to the viewers/listeners. The guy literally has to watch sports to be able to form an opinion.

Oh ya and didn't he have like 7 fantasy football teams going?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Look - if you want to keep your registration and insurance in your wallet and not in your car that's your business. The only downside I can see is if you let someone else drive your car.

But the idea that reaching for your glove box means you're going to be shot? Nonsense. I mean going for your pocket to get your wallet is just as suspicious.

Look, I'm not going to say that no one has ever been shot by police. Google Philando Castile for a particularly egregious story (black man pulled over, he tells police he has a licensed firearm, does no sudden movements, is shot). But going for the glove box after being asked for your license and registration happens in ever single traffic stop that ever happens. Police do not shoot you for doing so - just follow police directions, don't make sudden movements, etc.

But when police ask you for your documents they fully expect you to open your glove box.
Well its happened. its happened multiple times in documented situations. Escalations with police including use of weapons is now making even the routine traffic stop a high risk activity because it HAS been OFTEN. Police are on alert now. I don't take my chances with that and i've had situations first hand where the police were extremely escalated and presumably unpredictable. Not knocking police. Its a shitty job in present day society. But telling an officer a wallet with registration is in my jeans pocket is a lot less unpredictable than reaching for a glove compartment where anything could be in there.

I've worked in conjunction with police. heres the thing. You NEVER know what kind of day they've had or what urgent calls they've responded to that day. There are many situations where Police are in a shift where they've had a dangerous call. That adrenaline doesn't go away in an instant. You can never assume what the disposition is going to be and normative situations can often involve seemingly undue escalation, in an instant. Never said shootings happen all the time, its that the glove compartment is obviously more dangerous. Not hard to understand that and the reasons why. Why not just make it easier on Police and yourself?

Everybody does their own thing. Any source I look at says DO NOT keep your registration and licence in glove compartment. Carry it on your person, preferably in wallet.

People sometimes don't change behavior through time. Keeping your license and registration in glove compartment you would do in the 60's if you lived in Mayberry. lol I don't know anybody that still does that.

NOBODY else drives my car. lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Well its happened. its happened multiple times in documented situations. Escalations with police including use of weapons is now making even the routine traffic stop a high risk activity because it HAS been OFTEN. Police are on alert now. I don't take my chances with that and i've had situations first hand where the police were extremely escalated and presumably unpredictable. Not knocking police. Its a shitty job in present day society. But telling an officer a wallet with registration is in my jeans pocket is a lot less unpredictable than reaching for a glove compartment where anything could be in there.

I've worked in conjunction with police. heres the thing. You NEVER know what kind of day they've had or what urgent calls they've responded to that day. There are many situations where Police are in a shift where they've had a dangerous call. That adrenaline doesn't go away in an instant. You can never assume what the disposition is going to be and normative situations can often involve seemingly undue escalation, in an instant. Never said shootings happen all the time, its that the glove compartment is obviously more dangerous. Not hard to understand that.

Everybody does their own thing. Any source I look at says DO NOT keep your registration and licence in glove compartment. Carry it on your person, preferably in wallet.

People sometimes don't change behavior through time. Keeping your license and registration in glove compartment you would do in the 60's if you lived in Mayberry. lol I don't know anybody that still does that.

NOBODY else drives my car. lol.

I have to point out that your two links caution against keeping your insurance and registration in your glove box because they might be stolen. They say nothing about being shot by police.

And they're right - they can be stolen. Vehicles get broken into all the time.

All I will say is that registration and insurance doesn't really get a thief very far. What they really want are ID documents or credit cards (or of course good ole cash). You can't really pull of ID fraud with just a vehicle registration document.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm glad your wife and kids better than mine. :)
OCD about such things can be contagious. Better safe than sorry. We check to see if stove is off, oven off, coffee maker off etc. Make sure both doors are locked. Its habit formed.

I can't even fathom people leaving home and not even considering locking the door and somehow theres people that leave it unlocked even consciously. That said I live in the Millhood;)

I have to point out that your two links caution against keeping your insurance and registration in your glove box because they might be stolen. They say nothing about being shot by police.

All I will say is that registration and insurance doesn't really get a thief very far. What they really want are ID documents or credit cards (or of course good ole cash). You can't really pull of ID fraud with just a vehicle registration document.
Just as public service to the board I was replying that keeping the documents with you is recommended and advisable. That was in response to you suggesting "do your own thing" when I'm actually doing something that is well advised. It just makes sense. How did we get here in this convo. lol

ps It used to be old school for people to have their license, registration and insurance all together in the little plastic folder that insurance companies would give out. People would just throw all 3 in the glove compartment and not worry about it. I hope nobody is doing that. That is enough ID to do damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerfish

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Using the pitch you might get shot you shouldnt carry them either. You might get shot for going to your pocket.
You can get shot doing anything. But to to support a position to not keep your docs in the glove compartment by saying you might get shot is a massive stretch

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Using the pitch you might get shot you shouldnt carry them either. You might get shot for going to your pocket.
You can get shot doing anything. But to to support a position to not keep your docs in the glove compartment by saying you might get shot is a massive stretch
Could've expressed it better. Bottom line is glove compartment is a bad idea for such documents.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Thats weird that Gregor rented the airtime from 1260. I did not know that.

He's certainly right it's about the human connection that you make, rather than about purely being a source of information. I mean I wouldn't tune in to find out who won last night's game.

I'm a hockey dad, I spend tons of time at the rink. I remember one time seeing Strudwick at the rink watching his kid. For a moment I was like "hey I know that guy - I should go over and say hi" only to think better of it - he's just there to watch his kid, just like me. But that was the power of radio that I felt like I knew him.
JG only talked about how he did business when asked if he was worried about getting fired..

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Thanks for sharing. Starting listening to Nielson's show during the pandemic trying to squeeze more Oilers information through the solid guests he had one. Initially resisted listening because of some of the schtick involved but came to appreciate a pretty keen sense of humour and fun with it. They really did a great job of balancing morning show energy and format with delivering quality sports interviews. What won me over was probably the Oilers player goal songs. Truly original and well executed.

Guy's a bright talent as his evolving play-by-play is showing. A heartfelt good bye including a tough job to share this news with his kids.

theonetheonly

Nov 30, 2015
Could've expressed it better. Bottom line is glove compartment is a bad idea for such documents.
Yeah it's a huge problem out there with multiple people getting shot from police daily for reaching into the glove compartment in the thousands of traffic stops conducted daily across North America

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Man I thought this would be a blessing in disguise for Dusty to get out of the morning show and be able to live a half normal life. Between podcasts, TV broadcasts and two young kids I have no idea how he had time to do all that and the morning show.

Like when the hell did he ever sleep. This isn't like doing the morning news where you read shit to the viewers/listeners. The guy literally has to watch sports to be able to form an opinion.

And he also does card breaks (Crack Pack) on Facebook

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Yeah that guy is super busy. I also have no idea how he does it all.

But then again it's good he has been so busy. He's well positioned even though his job just disappeared. There's no way the station closing caught him by surprise.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Look - if you want to keep your registration and insurance in your wallet and not in your car that's your business. The only downside I can see is if you let someone else drive your car.

But the idea that reaching for your glove box means you're going to be shot? Nonsense. I mean going for your pocket to get your wallet is just as suspicious.

Look, I'm not going to say that no one has ever been shot by police. Google Philando Castile for a particularly egregious story (black man pulled over, he tells police he has a licensed firearm, does no sudden movements, is shot). But going for the glove box after being asked for your license and registration happens in ever single traffic stop that ever happens. Police do not shoot you for doing so - just follow police directions, don't make sudden movements, etc.

But when police ask you for your documents they fully expect you to open your glove box.
Now that I'm out of it and moved on to other things, I worked traffic enforcement for over 20 years, particularly with commercial vehicles. Truckers have snipe bars, hammers, jack knives, pry bars...all kinds of stuff that could be weaponized usually within reach (claw or mallet hammers are usually kept on the floor along side the drivers seat).

But of all the times and all the professional truck drivers I dealt with over the years, I could count on one hand and not need all my fingers where I felt a stop could go sideways and be in a threatening situation. Passenger vehicles are the wildcard. With truck drivers we know there are items that could be used in a deadly force assault within reach they use as a tool of their trade, passenger vehicles...not so much and is why they are more dangerous.

For passenger vehicle stops, we were trained to stand not at the window but at the side of it so if someone did pull a weapon, they had to also awkwardly reach behind them while still seated to use it, which would allow a brief extra moment of reaction time or allow time and distance to separate.

Standing at the door instead of the window also prevents an easier exit for the driver if they wanted to get aggressive as now at the door frame they have body weight to push out of the way to get out whereas at the window, they have momentum and space to open the door wider then swing or kick the door open.

The above all ties into this and agree with what you've said: of all the passenger vehicle stops I conducted, yes- the console or glovebox is roughly 99.5% of where people keep their vehicle documents in a passenger vehicle and where I expected them to be. Not every officer will do this but I also got into the habit of asking where they are normally kept so I knew where the driver would be reaching or should be reaching. If I was told "it's not my car, it's my buddy's" or "my mom's" or "it's a rental" (which I'd already know based off the license plate) or whoever's, that's where extra caution had to be taken as we don't know who is driving the car (unless it's a repeat traffic offender-lol).

I understand the fear and anxiety people do or could have when pulled over so I always did my best to help them calm down by just talking to them like they're another human being and not an asshole. Being an asshole from the start (from one or both parties) just escalates the situation. So I'd be professional and friendly externally without letting my guard down internally.

In general for those who took the time to read this post and coming from a former member of LE that conducted a lot of traffic stops over 20+ years, the two easiest things to do at the start if you're pulled over are:

#1: DO NOT start trying to find your shit before the officer has initially spoken with you. It's habit and we think "maybe I won't get a ticket if I have all my paperwork ready for the officer" or just to be courteous and speed things along as we know it's going to be asked for anyways but we're watching your movements and any passengers' movements through the back window. Even through rear tinted glass, we can still see faint outlines of figures moving about. If it's at night or blacked out, the vehicle may slightly rock back and forth (depending on wind) so we know people are moving around in it. If you're reaching around and down looking for vehicle info or reaching for a wallet in your front or back pocket, your body movements are all telling us this while the officer is entering/radioing in the t-stop info to dispatch. We don't know what you're looking for or reaching for or perhaps trying to hide. As your reverse lights also flash when you put your vehicle into park once you've pulled over (if you have an automatic transmission), it's another giveaway if you've left it in drive (big no-no) and are just sitting on the brakes (brake lights will be on-if one or all work) or if you've put it in park. So put it in park and wait and also allow the officer time to enter or radio the t-stop info. If you have a standard transmission, put it in neutral and the park brake on. Stay in your vehicle for your own personal safety first and foremost (other traffic passing) as that will also get the officer's guard up if you immediately get out before the officer has spoken with you. It's bizarre how many people will do this.

#2: Keep your hands on the steering wheel or up where they can be seen (not near the gear shifter either). Once asked to produce your documents, simply tell the officer where they are before you start getting them so they know where you're reaching (or should be reaching). If your wallet is in your jacket or pants, tell them that too so the officer knows where you will be or should be reaching to retrieve it.

Trust me, t-stops go alot smoother with a little more communication between both parties at the driver's window.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Well, it's been a week and I gotta say, I'm bored without tsn 1260. Most mornings, the first thing out of my mouth were: "ok google. Play tsn 1260 radio ". Hope something fills the void.

I'm so bored on my drive. I tried listening to TSN 1050 and it was terrible. Sadly listening to nothing was better than 1050.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Bell made 3 billion last year.
Maybe as a condition of giving up local news they should have to give up some of their more profitable ventures that are subject to regulatory approval.
if you can even believe their numbers.
I dont believe what they are selling.

It’s just another attempt by some in the Canadian investor owned media (not all are doing this) to look for the same government handouts that the CBC gets. Bell can get bent along with the CBC.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I dont believe what they are selling.

It’s just another attempt by some in the Canadian investor owned media (not all are doing this) to look for the same government handouts that the CBC gets. Bell can get bent along with the CBC.
CBC is important to Canada imo

Reactions: MixMasterMoose

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
CBC is important to Canada imo
Talking about CBC will get political fast so I will be careful and somewhat brief, but suffice to say I disagree vehemently.

It may be important to you and others and I respect that but it’s not important to Canada, anymore. Maybe it was at one point in its existence , but it has become irrelevant, far too costly to taxpayers and let’s just say it could learn what objective journalism is vs the positional reporting it currently delivers .

Its funded annual subsidy should be done away with and it can compete for ad and other revenue like all other broadcasters. If it can, great, if not, well then the people have spoken.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Bell at it again.

As someone who watches both the global and ctv versions of what’s supposed to be local news every morning I’d say they’ve pretty much done that already. Very little of either of those broadcasts have much to do with local stories and even less is actually news. Ironically, global is much worse in this regard than ctv is.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
As someone who watches both the global and ctv versions of what’s supposed to be local news every morning I’d say they’ve pretty much done that already. Very little of either of those broadcasts have much to do with local stories and even less is actually news. Ironically, global is much worse in this regard than ctv is.
The loss of legitimate investigative reporting is bad with the total gutting of the MSM. But it’s really bad at the local level as imo there is no one who is going to take that on cause it’s time consuming and costly.
In terms of sports, 1260 going down is super bad for local sports. IMO it’s really, really bad for the Elks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad