News Article: 1260 shut down by Bell

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The remote garage door opener is quite handy. Have been times I’ve gone for walks on a cold day, and I don’t bring a house key with me, and our keypad to open the garage door has crapped out, and the remote entry on my phone saved me. Also don’t have to have a visible remote in the vehicle, which is nice. Can sent remote one time codes to people who need access to the garage on occasion. We also have four garage doors, and lots of activity at times with all four doors, so the feature to be notified when a particular door has been left open for a specified period of time is nice. Have been times where we thought the door was closed and it wasn’t. Also have a history of when each door was opened and closed, which we’ve used a few times. All in all it’s been great for us.
We have a detached garage, like many people. So this would be no use to me whatsoever.

How hard is it to have the remote in the vehicle on the overhead sunvisor? Thats where people been putting it since garage door openers were invented.

If I want somebody to open or check my garage while I'm away I just give them the number code which works on the keypad all the time. If yours doesn't something is wrong with your setup.

I've never left without the garage door closed. I just look to see if its closed. I could see maybe for a family its different if people are not being careful to close the doors. But to me thats just like making sure doors are locked when you leave house.

In anycase its frustrating when you buy something as simple as a garage door opener and every model, even the base model has all the features you don't need and a price uptick because of it. I guess you benefit from it. I benefited from taking one hour less installing all the shit. But still had to pay for it.

Heres something. If I go out for a walk its guaranteed I bring the housekey with me. Its next to guaranteed I don't bring the uncharged smartphone with me;) Our deadbolts don't even lock without using the key to lock them. Thats actually a useful feature that prevents you from leaving home without your key. heh

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
We have a detached garage, like many people. So this would be no use to me whatsoever.

How hard is it to have the remote in the vehicle on the overhead sunvisor? Thats where people been putting it since garage door openers were invented.

If I want somebody to open or check my garage while I'm away I just give them the number code which works on the keypad all the time. If yours doesn't something is wrong with your setup.

I've never left without the garage door closed. I just look to see if its closed. I could see maybe for a family its different if people are not being careful to close the doors. But to me thats just like making sure doors are locked when you leave house.

In anycase its frustrating when you buy something as simple as a garage door opener and every model, even the base model has all the features you don't need and a price uptick because of it. I guess you benefit from it. I benefited from taking one hour less installing all the shit. But still had to pay for it.
I have a built in remote coded in my vehicle, so I don't need a remote, but my kids don't have that in their vehicles, and having a remote on the sunvisor is apparently a welcome sign to car thieves, who now have access to your garage after they steal your vehicle (assuming you keep a pinkcard/registration in your vehicle, which gives them your address). Cops have been advising people for years to not keep a remote in your vehicle if possible. I'm not in the habit of giving out my keypad number, prefer a one time use code. Good for giving to parcel delivery people as well. When you have up to six people living in a house, all driving and coming and going at all hours, the doors do get left open at times. We keep our potted perennials in the shop each winter, and have had a few occasions that the notification saved us from having all of them ruined.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have a built in remote coded in my vehicle, so I don't need a remote, but my kids don't have that in their vehicles, and having a remote on the sunvisor is apparently a welcome sign to car thieves, who now have access to your garage after they steal your vehicle (assuming you keep a pinkcard/registration in your vehicle, which gives them your address). Cops have been advising people for years to not keep a remote in your vehicle if possible. I'm not in the habit of giving out my keypad number, prefer a one time use code. Good for giving to parcel delivery people as well. When you have up to six people living in a house, all driving and coming and going at all hours, the doors do get left open at times. We keep our potted perennials in the shop each winter, and have had a few occasions that the notification saved us from having all of them ruined.
I NEVER have my pink card or ANY identification in my vehicle. Stopped doing that 40yrs ago. I have it in my wallet which I'm carrying at all times. But again I have a detached garage, so not a concern.

Police have been saying for years NOT to keep identification in vehicle, but on your person either in wallet, purse, etc. if somebody steals my car they have a useless garage door opener I guess. In many places people are strongly advised NOT to have any information you need in glove compartment for any reason as if you are pulled over for any reason, it can look like you're going for a gun by reaching for glove compartment. Thats become a highly dangerous situation for law enforcement. People have been shot doing just that. Keeping the garage door opener on sunflap is fine. Literally everybody does it. Keeping your pink slip or licence in glove compartment is a completely bad idea.

Plus with my tinted windows its literally impossible for somebody to see I have a tiny garage remote attached there in anycase.

Reactions: brentashton

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Left it on the station while driving today, been listening for 18 years. Seems very strange that it's not going to be apart of my daily routine.
Me too. I'm driving for 3 or 4 hours tomorrow. Was actually looking forward to spending the morning with Dusty and Eric.

I hear you. My entire professional life has been a split between the office and a pickup truck with the truck usually winning. I’ve got literally thousands of hours listening to the station under my belt. It feels very unfair to the radio hosts we’ve grown to know and it takes something I really liked away from me every day. My daily routine is now gone and it leaves a void.
Yep. It's bad for mental health. To hell with Bell and their phony, hypocritical mental health campaigns.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah sure but you still need to set it up. You need to have them downloaded or have the data to stream etc. it’s not the same. It’s also not live so you miss that interaction and the charity work they would do.
When you bought your new vehicle was it already tuned to 1260? Every device requires a certain amount of set up.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The remote garage door opener is quite handy. Have been times I’ve gone for walks on a cold day, and I don’t bring a house key with me, and our keypad to open the garage door has crapped out, and the remote entry on my phone saved me. Also don’t have to have a visible remote in the vehicle, which is nice. Can sent remote one time codes to people who need access to the garage on occasion. We also have four garage doors, and lots of activity at times with all four doors, so the feature to be notified when a particular door has been left open for a specified period of time is nice. Have been times where we thought the door was closed and it wasn’t. Also have a history of when each door was opened and closed, which we’ve used a few times. All in all it’s been great for us.
For me it's less about getting in as we've had a way to get in with a keypad for 15 years. For me it's that it lets you know when you forgot it open and we've got it set up to automatically close at 10 if it is open. I mean it doesn't happen but for the few times it did, its nice that I didn't have to wake up to a cleaned out garage.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
you still have a Discman? lol do you record songs off the radio onto tape as well? jk

Im sure Gregor will come up with the reason why he bandwagon jumped from the Dolphins to the super bowl champion Chiefs.

No way... that's digital.... I'm just teasing.

I appreciate not everyone is tethered to phones and am getting concerned how everyone is getting to the point where the phone is necessary for almost everything we do now. I guess just not so concerned as to not take advantage of the convenience myself.

Reactions: brentashton

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Seems crappy that they shut down an actual good rated station, but I personally barely turned it on. Maybe 15 min listening to Gregor if I was driving, but I usually just listened to podcasts (his included). Did not care for the morning show either. I listen to morning shows in other provinces and ours sounded like a high school radio show compared to the more professional sounding ones around Canada.

Radio is the olden days now. People listen to on demand stuff

Reactions: ColinM

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For me it's less about getting in as we've had a way to get in with a keypad for 15 years. For me it's that it lets you know when you forgot it open and we've got it set up to automatically close at 10 if it is open. I mean it doesn't happen but for the few times it did, its nice that I didn't have to wake up to a cleaned out garage.
Waking up to a cleaned up garage isn't the worst thing. half the stuff in there is junk or parts or hardware or lumber "I'll use sometime in some lifetime" lol

But the amount of times I've left the garage door open is zero. I just don't see how it happens. Do people need an alarm because they forgot to shut the front door. No, you just do it, and remember. heh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
you still have a Discman? lol do you record songs off the radio onto tape as well? jk

Im sure Gregor will come up with the reason why he bandwagon jumped from the Dolphins to the super bowl champion Chiefs.
DVD player in the vehicle and home stereo. Is it weird to still have DVD players? People still have record players.

I just have eclectic tastes so burn my own discs. unlike with a CD in regular audio format you can squeeze over 100 tracks on a CD if using mp3 files. Other than some quality loss I like the option of being able to do that. Theres no FM channels that really do it for me. Don't like any of them.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nice piece. I get that some people find him grating, and he can have some wildly off hot takes, however, he delivers a pretty solid interview, asks good questions and lets the expert answer without interruption. Doesn't have the insecurity to incorporate himself into interviews. His show and guests will be missed. I think as well will his tireless philanthropy in rallying awareness and dollars to many good causes in Edmonton. Pretty caring guy to incorporate this into a show where he was cook, chief and bottle washer to operate. All of the above distinguished him within the market and apart from his competition.

Gets to the top of the ratings with a non team affiliated show only to have the Let's Talk owners pull the plug on the station. Timing eh.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Nice piece. I get that some people find him grating, and he can have some wildly off hot takes, however, he delivers a pretty solid interview, asks good questions and lets the expert answer without interruption. Doesn't have the insecurity to incorporate himself into interviews. His show and guests will be missed. I think as well will his tireless philanthropy in rallying awareness and dollars to many good causes in Edmonton. Pretty caring guy to incorporate this into a show where he was cook, chief and bottle washer to operate. All of the above distinguished him within the market and apart from his competition.

Gets to the top of the ratings with a non team affiliated show only to have the Let's Talk owners pull the plug on the station. Timing eh.
Excellent point about raising awareness. We risk losing our sense of community and connection without having local media that can be consumed in real time. I know the world has changed, but I can’t help but think some of these things are not better. There’s a romanticism in the notion of Gregor listening to Short, to working for him and then giving back so heavily.

Unfortunate reality of the day though.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Im very surprised I was able to do this, but the last hour of the show is up as a podcast. Go to hour 2 of the Nielson Show for today with your favorite podcaster (mine is Overcast) or this:

and its patently obvious Lieut Eric and Gazzola had zero clue. None.
So strange
They were taking calls for just past 9. So, yeah, To say they had no idea would be an understatement

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I NEVER have my pink card or ANY identification in my vehicle. Stopped doing that 40yrs ago. I have it in my wallet which I'm carrying at all times. But again I have a detached garage, so not a concern.

Police have been saying for years NOT to keep identification in vehicle, but on your person either in wallet, purse, etc. if somebody steals my car they have a useless garage door opener I guess. In many places people are strongly advised NOT to have any information you need in glove compartment for any reason as if you are pulled over for any reason, it can look like you're going for a gun by reaching for glove compartment. Thats become a highly dangerous situation for law enforcement. People have been shot doing just that. Keeping the garage door opener on sunflap is fine. Literally everybody does it. Keeping your pink slip or licence in glove compartment is a completely bad idea.

Plus with my tinted windows its literally impossible for somebody to see I have a tiny garage remote attached there in anycase.

Drivers still need a copy of registration when police pull them over? I moved over to Australia in 2008 and it's never been a thing here since police just look it up from their cars. Wild.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I mean if you listened to his show you'd clearly know why he did it.

Seems like they'll be doing something fairly soon.

The real kicker is all the fundraising they did. I'm sure it'll be back as he said they were going to keep things pretty much the same once they come back, but is there going to be any missed?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Look - if you want to keep your registration and insurance in your wallet and not in your car that's your business. The only downside I can see is if you let someone else drive your car.

But the idea that reaching for your glove box means you're going to be shot? Nonsense. I mean going for your pocket to get your wallet is just as suspicious.

Look, I'm not going to say that no one has ever been shot by police. Google Philando Castile for a particularly egregious story (black man pulled over, he tells police he has a licensed firearm, does no sudden movements, is shot). But going for the glove box after being asked for your license and registration happens in ever single traffic stop that ever happens. Police do not shoot you for doing so - just follow police directions, don't make sudden movements, etc.

But when police ask you for your documents they fully expect you to open your glove box.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’ve crapped on JG a bit in the past, but man did he say it well in this article.

At the end of the day these aren’t shows or business, they are collections of people, like us, who have a shared love of something. We come together in this platform to share and converse, others did so by listening to his AM radio show (or others) and or his podcasts. I wish him and his affected colleagues all the best going forward. We may have not always agreed but I respect JG and others that are willing to open up and share their views, knowing that they will receive both accolades and sharp criticism for doing so.

They are all just trying to do their best.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Seems crappy that they shut down an actual good rated station, but I personally barely turned it on. Maybe 15 min listening to Gregor if I was driving, but I usually just listened to podcasts (his included). Did not care for the morning show either. I listen to morning shows in other provinces and ours sounded like a high school radio show compared to the more professional sounding ones around Canada.

Radio is the olden days now. People listen to on demand stuff

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I listened to the morning show every single morning, but could take or leave Gregor, and usually listened to podcasts on the way home. I really liked how Dusty and Eric kept it light and breezy, never taking themselves too seriously.

I was never quite sure what happened to Wil Fraser though...

Reactions: Proko88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad