News Article: 1260 shut down by Bell

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
You won't convince him of anything. It's just better to accept some people are set in their ways, change is hard for most people but can be especially hard for some. There's nothing wrong with it.
It is more work. Not a lot but it is. And there’s something about having a live show as well.
on the flip/bright side on a podcast you can skip the commercials.
I’ve gotta believe it wouldn’t be that tough to do what Jespo does. Have a live show and podcast it. I’d really like that.

Reactions: MessierII

Wookie

Jun 21, 2019
the morning after…no “munching the data” for me anymore.
starting the work day with dustin and lte is going to be something i’m gonna miss.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It is more work. Not a lot but it is. And there’s something about having a live show as well.
on the flip/bright side on a podcast you can skip the commercials.
I’ve gotta believe it wouldn’t be that tough to do what Jespo does. Have a live show and podcast it. I’d really like that.

Yah I meant the fact that he doesn't want to even own a phone. Which is fine, all I'm saying is no one on this board is going to convince him otherwise and it's a useless endeavor. It's just what makes us all unique. Some embrace change but most resist it to varying degrees, and it's probably a good thing we don't all behave the same in that respect.

I believe DFO Rundown is live cast on Youtube and available as podcast. Is there such thing as live podcast? I always just go through what I want and download when walking, running, and even more so driving now going forward.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
can or do some of these guys livestream on YT or something before/after games or at certain times during the day?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
can or do some of these guys livestream on YT or something before/after games or at certain times during the day?
They will eventually once the dust settles.

Hopefully another station picks them up. But they probably take the summer to figure it out.

What is everyone else streaming at work now? Does NHL do a broadcast stream?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Yah I meant the fact that he doesn't want to even own a phone. Which is fine, all I'm saying is no one on this board is going to convince him otherwise and it's a useless endeavor. It's just what makes us all unique. Some embrace change but most resist it to varying degrees, and it's probably a good thing we don't all behave the same in that respect.

I believe DFO Rundown is live cast on Youtube and available as podcast. Is there such thing as live podcast? I always just go through what I want and download when walking, running, and even more so driving now going forward.

Most live podcasts stream through YouTube. However, some podcasts stream audio only on apps such as mixlr.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It’s definitely more work than simply starting your vehicle.

Not to belabour the point but when I get in my car the current podcast I’m listening to automatically starts playing, just like my radio would.

It’s quite simple once you’ve set it up.

But I get it, my buddy was exactly the same way.

However he learned how to load up podcasts recently as AM radio is being dropped starting next year from many car manufacturers and his lease is up so he figured he better get with the podcast program. He now likes it much better than radio.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not to belabour the point but when I get in my car the current podcast I’m listening to automatically starts playing, just like my radio would.

It’s quite simple once you’ve set it up.

But I get it, my buddy was exactly the same way.

However he learned how to load up podcasts recently as AM radio is being dropped starting next year from many car manufacturers and his lease is up so he figured he better get with the podcast program. He now likes it much better than radio.
Yeah sure but you still need to set it up. You need to have them downloaded or have the data to stream etc. it’s not the same. It’s also not live so you miss that interaction and the charity work they would do.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah sure but you still need to set it up. You need to have them downloaded or have the data to stream etc. it’s not the same. It’s also not live so you miss that interaction and the charity work they would do.

They can be set to auto download and it takes mere seconds to set up. Honestly if my Luddite friend can do podcasts anyone can.

But I hear you about live radio.

AM radio is going away in cars starting in 2024 and FM won’t be far behind. It’ll all be streamed from your Radioplayer app.

Reactions: brentashton

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Their "Bell Let's Talk" initiative just rings more and more hollow with every passing year as they continue to close stations and put 100's of people out of work.

It was never an initiative, it was purely advertisement. If they actually cared it would just be "Let's talk".

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I think the primary reason TSN1260 is shuttering is because they don't have the rights to Oilers broadcasts. I do not think the Edmonton market can support multiple sports radio channels, particularly with growing podcast content options. All the best to the employees behind the mics and behind the scenes. I hope eveyone lands on their feet.
We now have none though. We have inside sports an hour long show on ched and oilers now from noon to 2.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

These podcast typically use very little data if using an audio only platform as well since no ones concerned about talk radio being lossless high definition audio. For example an hour long CoH podcast is about 85 MB, and some of the others are even lower bitrates. Since most cell phone providers won't even offer plans less than 10 Gigs now, and more and more of them aren't charging for overage but rather slowing your speed to a still completely useable speed, it's not the end of the world if the odd one is streamed instead of downloaded.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have no podcast i like.
I do not own a smart phone at all. (or a cell phone for that matter)

As I said 'okay Boomer!' :o)-->
I hear you. I've had smartphones for a long while, mostly for work but can't stand them and essentially their paper weights to me. Both my wife and I don't even have ours charged half the time. That said I have no data plans or anything. Only reason I keep them at all is if on a road trip to make emergency calls if need be. Don't do podcasts at all. So boring just having endless audio and people advertising their own podcast during the segment. If driving I just listen to my burned CD's of music I like. If working out same thing. Radio rarely did it for me anyway. The only time I could find specific channels I half liked was through sirius radio with lots of options.

Most podcasts, or youtube videos or the like I find are so bait and switch and so nothing. I can't honestly remember one relevant piece of information I ever got out of a podcast. That said I just get bored of them 5mins in. Can't do audio books either. I'm into reading or visual modalities. Audio alone puts me to sleep. maybe its good for that.

These podcast typically use very little data if using an audio only platform as well since no ones concerned about talk radio being lossless high definition audio. For example an hour long CoH podcast is about 85 MB, and some of the others are even lower bitrates. Since most cell phone providers won't even offer plans less than 10 Gigs now, and more and more of them aren't charging for overage but rather slowing your speed to a still completely useable speed, it's not the end of the world if the odd one is streamed instead of downloaded.
I have 2 gigs data. lol. I don't even use that much. Its considered a no data plan and 17bucks a month. Wasted money anyway.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They can be set to auto download and it takes mere seconds to set up. Honestly if my Luddite friend can do podcasts anyone can.

But I hear you about live radio.

AM radio is going away in cars starting in 2024 and FM won’t be far behind. It’ll all be streamed from your Radioplayer app.
Trust me I'd f*** it up even if I wanted to do it. I haven't been able to install a printer properly for 10yrs lol.

As far as Vehicles mine is still 2010. Even though it says it has audio technologies it doesn't for instance it won't play anything through bluetooth even though it says it does. Even connecting a smartphone it won't work. Tried many times. Even service techs have tried. A lot of vehicles, particularly older ones they don't work worth shit with any of these things. But it will play a burned CD or regular CD, it will play MP3 audio files so thats what I load up on there with several hours of music on one disc. Drive to Vancouver I only need to bring 2 discs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I hear you. I've had smartphones for a long while, mostly for work but can't stand them and essentially their paper weights to me. Both my wife and I don't even have ours charged half the time. That said I have no data plans or anything. Only reason I keep them at all is if on a road trip to make emergency calls if need be. Don't do podcasts at all. So boring just having endless audio and people advertising their own podcast during the segment. If driving I just listen to my burned CD's of music I like. If working out same thing. Radio rarely did it for me anyway. The only time I could find specific channels I half liked was through sirius radio with lots of options.

Most podcasts, or youtube videos or the like I find are so bait and switch and so nothing. I can't honestly remember one relevant piece of information I ever got out of a podcast. That said I just get bored of them 5mins in. Can't do audio books either. I'm into reading or visual modalities. Audio alone puts me to sleep. maybe its good for that.

I have 2 gigs data. lol. I don't even use that much. Its considered a no data plan and 17bucks a month. Wasted money anyway.
For sure. I understand not everyone has them, and I'd prefer that there's options out there that don't force everyone to be tethered to their phones 24/7

Just was pointing out that since it's becoming more and more common that people have enough data, if they are starving for the content that they lost with the station going down, it might not be as big a hassle as they think to get content. I suspect you aren't one of the ones overly disappointed by this shutdown though.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Imagine my surprise yesterday when I put the station on at 2:00 PM expecting to hear Gregor, then getting 5 minutes of elevator music, then an announcement that they're off the air! Now I have to listen to either CHED or K-97 :cry:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For sure. I understand not everyone has them, and I'd prefer that there's options out there that don't force everyone to be tethered to their phones 24/7

Just was pointing out that since it's becoming more and more common that people have enough data, if they are starving for the content that they lost with the station going down, it might not be as big a hassle as they think to get content. I suspect you aren't one of the ones overly disappointed by this shutdown though.
Maybe some entertainment providers that now require everybody to have mobile e tickets to events might get that one reason the crowds have diminished at all events is a lot of people don't have smart phones, can't afford them or can't afford the ridiculously overpriced plans we get in Canada. I used to be able just load tickets directly to the Ticketmaster app and just click on it and it would have the tickets, and even offline mode. Now to go to an esks game I have to load their specific ticket thingy, throw it in a wallet I have to download and don't have, and then go through a complicated menu I can't even see to try to extricate the tickets from the morass of menu to do that.

At home I don't mind tech. Roku, Chromecast etc for TV viewing. But like I said I'm visually oriented so I'll make any effort to obtain programming or video I can see and hear. My want to do anything to obtain audio only is non existent. That said I find most tech home devises silly. I don't need google whatever devices to open my doors or turn the lights on or have audio in every room. If they developed a remote system to water my plants outside when I'm away maybe I'd look into it, lol.

Just a side story. But the last Garage opener I installed had half a manual dedicated to setting up the remote garage door application that would open my garage door from miles away. My first thought was why I would even want to do that. Or want anybody else to be able to do that if they hacked in. So I just chucked the wiring and battery and everything they had for the remote application. The only remote for garage door I need is the remote in the car to open the door as I'm driving up. A lot of this tech seems more about we can do this so we'll do it and up the price rather than the thought that anybody really needs it. If one owned a remote storage place it would be handy. I just don't see the need for most applications.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Maybe some entertainment providers that now require everybody to have mobile e tickets to events might get that one reason the crowds have diminished at all events is a lot of people don't have smart phones, can't afford them or can't afford the ridiculously overpriced plans we get in Canada. I used to be able just load tickets directly to the Ticketmaster app and just click on it and it would have the tickets, and even offline mode. Now to go to an esks game I have to load their specific ticket thingy, throw it in a wallet I have to download and don't have, and then go through a complicated menu I can't even see to try to extricate the tickets from the morass of menu to do that.

At home I don't mind tech. Roku, Chromecast etc for TV viewing. But like I said I'm visually oriented so I'll make any effort to obtain programming or video I can see and hear. My want to do anything to obtain audio only is non existent. That said I find most tech home devises silly. I don't need google whatever devices to open my doors or turn the lights on or have audio in every room. If they developed a remote system to water my plants outside when I'm away maybe I'd look into it, lol.

Just a side story. But the last Garage opener I installed had half a manual dedicated to setting up the remote garage door application that would open my garage door from miles away. My first thought was why I would even want to do that. Or want anybody else to be able to do that if they hacked in. So I just chucked the wiring and battery and everything they had for the remote application. The only remote for garage door I need is the remote in the car to open the door as I'm driving up. A lot of this tech seems more about we can do this so we'll do it and up the price rather than the thought that anybody really needs it. If one owned a remote storage place it would be handy. I just don't see the need for most applications.
The remote garage door opener is quite handy. Have been times I’ve gone for walks on a cold day, and I don’t bring a house key with me, and our keypad to open the garage door has crapped out, and the remote entry on my phone saved me. Also don’t have to have a visible remote in the vehicle, which is nice. Can sent remote one time codes to people who need access to the garage on occasion. We also have four garage doors, and lots of activity at times with all four doors, so the feature to be notified when a particular door has been left open for a specified period of time is nice. Have been times where we thought the door was closed and it wasn’t. Also have a history of when each door was opened and closed, which we’ve used a few times. All in all it’s been great for us.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I was only a very part time listener to 1260, but feel really bad for the people who were devoted listeners, who have had a large part of their daily routine taken away. Lots of people with health issues, etc who listened to that channel for hours each day, helping them pass the time of day, keeping them entertained, and are now looking for an alternative. Gotta be tough, and a hope you find a suitable alternative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad