Prospect Info: 122nd overall: Vancouver selects Ethan Keppen (LW, Flint Firebirds)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Has the advantage of being a non vet AHLer so might be able to stick around to provide depth in the developmental player category. If he can't make the Abby team, the Canucks may have to search for a spot for him since they longer are affiliated with Kalamazoo who now are in the Columbus organization. Don't think the Canucks have a ECHL affiliate.

I didn't get an answer in the Abbotsford thread but I was really confused by this article:

The Canucks’ ECHL affiliation with the Kalamazoo Wings still has one more year to run, Johnson confirmed to Postmedia.

But previously, the Canucks had signed a 2 year agreement back in July 2019 and the Wings have announced their affiliation with Columbus. Is one of the Johnsons confused or is this a dual affiliation situation?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Good, I have some hope for the guy. He was a fine pick for that spot 2 years ago, but really couldn't have had a worse development situation since then.
IIRC, in his D+1 he lost some playing time to an import player and then either got sick or injured (never got the straight dope on that) missing a lot of the season. Then in his D+2, the OHL season was cancelled.
He's hardly played at all for the last two years and that will probably sink his chances of amounting to anything, but I think it could be possible that he might have an outside chance at turning into a larger Motte, if he can get back on track.

Reactions: Get North

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Keppen assigned back to juniors. Was he not able to find a spot at the beginning of the season? Seems like a player who should absolutely have been playing his overaged year.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

chum

Feb 27, 2002
die hard canucks fan here, and love the Podkolzin pick.

anyhow, after watching the highlights, there's a funny feeling deep in me that Keppen could end up being a better player than Podkolzin. (and Hoglander better than both Keppen and Podkolzin).

Please, no need to flame. I am just a fan stating an opinion. Hopefully we ended up with 3 really good players. We will see in a decade or so.

boy, was i ever so wrong here.

very happy that we have 2 good players in podkolzin and hoglander.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Not a bad pick, looking like one of the top 125 picks from this draft so theres that

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ron Delorme I guess saw he was great in practice.

Think that was Palango's territory. Maybe that's why he was given the walking papers?

Not a bad pick, looking like one of the top 125 picks from this draft so theres that

I think the only thing that saves this from a truly bad pick is that the guys drafted after him probably won't amount to anything. I liked the pick at the time. Another heavy boots guy who had some NHL potential if he could improve his skating. Then he somehow regressed after we drafted or he got moved down the lineup as his team got better.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Think that was Palango's territory. Maybe that's why he was given the walking papers?

I think the only thing that saves this from a truly bad pick is that the guys drafted after him probably won't amount to anything. I liked the pick at the time. Another heavy boots guy who had some NHL potential if he could improve his skating. Then he somehow regressed after we drafted or he got moved down the lineup as his team got better.
I too liked him at the time, pretty sure was part of my status backwords even lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad