Prospect Info: 122nd overall: Vancouver selects Ethan Keppen (LW, Flint Firebirds)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Could see in Utica he was very heavy footed. Seems to me Keppen just flat out lacked enough speed to play a two way game. You wonder if this might be the true with Kunz as well.

Note some of the comments on Focht aren't really panning out. Long ways to go, but he had good first year in pro hockey in Utica last year and definitely wasn't out of place. Interesting to watch him in Abbotsford.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He'll get a PTO. Kid barely had a shot to be successful in his short AHL stint because he didn't play hockey all year! The OHL was shutdown for the 2020-21 season.

He should be good enough to suit up for Kalamazoo if not Utica.

cyberecco

Oct 31, 2017
The Canucks picking out of the CHL these days, is where draft picks go to die.

Other than Bo Horvat, I'm having real trouble coming up with a single name out of the OHL who's even appeared on the big league roster. I guess technically they picked Juolevi from the London Knights, although he was initially scouted in Finland.

Looking elsewhere around the CHL, I suppose there's still a glimmer of hope for guys like Gadjovich, Lind, Woo and Focht. And far as the QMJHL is concerned, it may as well be on another planet.

The bottom line is that Canuck drafting out of Canadian Major Junior has been a black hole for a long time. You'd think they'd have done something by now to shake up their Major Junior scouting....but nothing seems to ever change.

Mike Dipietro?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The Canucks picking out of the CHL these days, is where draft picks go to die.

Other than Bo Horvat, I'm having real trouble coming up with a single name out of the OHL who's even appeared on the big league roster. I guess technically they picked Juolevi from the London Knights, although he was initially scouted in Finland.

Looking elsewhere around the CHL, I suppose there's still a glimmer of hope for guys like Gadjovich, Lind, Woo and Focht. And far as the QMJHL is concerned, it may as well be on another planet.

The bottom line is that Canuck drafting out of Canadian Major Junior has been a black hole for a long time. You'd think they'd have done something by now to shake up their Major Junior scouting....but nothing seems to ever change.

Nothing changes because the Canucks doubled down and put Ron Delorme back in charge. The man most responsible for terrible CHL drafting from the late 90s on, who was demoted by Gillis. Reinstalled by Benning.

Take away Gradin and his army of Swedish scouts under him and this team would be dead last in drafting.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Nothing changes because the Canucks doubled down and put Ron Delorme back in charge. The man most responsible for terrible CHL drafting from the late 90s on, who was demoted by Gillis. Reinstalled by Benning.

Take away Gradin and his army of Swedish scouts under him and this team would be dead last in drafting.

What's your basis for this? During the Gillis era we use to give credit for Palango for our OHL picks. Certainly if Keppen was drafted in 2013 we wouldn't have labelled him a Delorme pick.

A lot of us liked this pick. He scored 30 goals (many of the ES) as a 17 year old playing on a poor team in the OHL. His biggest issue was his skating. For whatever reason he seemed to have regressed in his draft + 1 year. We took a chance and it didn't work out.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I recently read from a poster here that Gradin is now Vancouver-based so I wonder if maybe if we see improved results from the WHL\BCHL(or maybe CHL as a whole) but take a hit when it comes to SHL scouting.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I recently read from a poster here that Gradin is now Vancouver-based so I wonder if maybe if we see improved results from the WHL\BCHL(or maybe CHL as a whole) but take a hit when it comes to SHL scouting.

Gradin has been Vancouver based for over 15 years I think. At least 10 for sure.

Reactions: Nucker101

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
What's your basis for this? During the Gillis era we use to give credit for Palango for our OHL picks. Certainly if Keppen was drafted in 2013 we wouldn't have labelled him a Delorme pick.

A lot of us liked this pick. He scored 30 goals (many of the ES) as a 17 year old playing on a poor team in the OHL. His biggest issue was his skating. For whatever reason he seemed to have regressed in his draft + 1 year. We took a chance and it didn't work out.

Sorry, I meant Delorme and the WHL part. Keppen was taken in the Judd era.

BTW, Jimbo's son is a Western scout so I don't see much improvement in that area. Here's an old article from 2013 about how we suck at WHL/BCHL drafting:

Vancouver Canucks roll into NHL draft without homegrown talent | Vancouver Sun

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sorry, I meant Delorme and the WHL part. Keppen was taken in the Judd era.

BTW, Jimbo's son is a Western scout so I don't see much improvement in that area. Here's an old article from 2013 about how we suck at WHL/BCHL drafting:

Vancouver Canucks roll into NHL draft without homegrown talent | Vancouver Sun

But what's your basis for saying that Benning re-instated Delorme? Delorme post-Crawford has remained the team's chief scout in the WHL. Gradin is also based in Vancouver. So yes there's not much change, but technically the team has their two best scouts out in the West.

As for Jim's son, he's a cross-checker as far as I know and let's face it, his father was a distinguished scout and so was his grandfather. I have no idea how good he is but as far as nepotism hires at least his family background is in scouting. What was Eric Crawford's background? Brother of Marc so he got a job as an AHL assistant coach under Smyl? At least Lou had a respectable coaching resume. What about Brett Henning? His father was Lorne?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
But what's your basis for saying that Benning re-instated Delorme? Delorme post-Crawford has remained the team's chief scout in the WHL. Gradin is also based in Vancouver. So yes there's not much change, but technically the team has their two best scouts out in the West.

As for Jim's son, he's a cross-checker as far as I know and let's face it, his father was a distinguished scout and so was his grandfather. I have no idea how good he is but as far as nepotism hires at least his family background is in scouting. What was Eric Crawford's background? Brother of Marc so he got a job as an AHL assistant coach under Smyl? At least Lou had a respectable coaching resume. What about Brett Henning? His father was Lorne?

Are you really saying Delorme is the best scout? :laugh: That is definitely an odd take. Look at the official Canucks front office:

Coaches & Staff

Delorme is Chief Amateur Scout while Gradin is Associate Chief Amateur Scout. Gillis sent him back to the WHL and Benning puts him back.

So your point that Brandon Benning has a family of scouts so that makes him a scout? LOL it's like saying Gretzky's sons are going to be players because they have a "family background." Sure it remains to be seen if Brandon will build a resume. Crawford and Henning have both put in long years and are judged that way, not even a fair comparison.

Reactions: Hyzer

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are you really saying Delorme is the best scout? :laugh: That is definitely an odd take.

Not saying that at all. That was Gilman's take actually.

Look at the official Canucks front office:

Coaches & Staff

Delorme is Chief Amateur Scout while Gradin is Associate Chief Amateur Scout. Gillis sent him back to the WHL and Benning puts him back.

Where are you getting this? You keep saying Benning put Delorme back but I have no idea where you're getting this. Crawford ran two drafts under Benning before Brackett took over and last draft it was Harvey.

So your point that Brandon Benning has a family of scouts so that makes him a scout? LOL it's like saying Gretzky's sons are going to be players because they have a "family background." Sure it remains to be seen if Brandon will build a resume. Crawford and Henning have both put in long years and are judged that way, not even a fair comparison.

Stop twisting my words. I'm saying that of all the nepotism hires at least Brandon came from a family with a scouting background as opposed to Eric Crawford and Brett Henning. Of course it's not a fair comparison comparing Henning and Crawford who rose through the ranks to become Directors of Pro Scouting to a regional cross-checker but they got their start somewhere. Brandon started his scouting career as a part time scout for the Flames. He continued that position with the Canucks. Recently he became a full time scout. The guy serves as a cross checker for the team based out in Portland. If his last name was Brackett you wouldn't be saying all of this.

And again, I have no idea why you brought up Delorme and Brandon Benning here in a thread about a prospect drafted out of the OHL.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Is Keppen eligible for an overage season in Jrs.? His last JR year didn't happen and his pro start was zipolah. However, his pro start wasn't a pro start, it was an ATO. He still has amateur status. Maybe Benning didn't sign him because that's the plan. I don't know. Hence, why I'm asking.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Is Keppen eligible for an overage season in Jrs.? His last JR year didn't happen and his pro start was zipolah. However, his pro start wasn't a pro start, it was an ATO. He still has amateur status. Maybe Benning didn't sign him because that's the plan. I don't know. Hence, why I'm asking.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be eligible to play his 20yo season in the CHL, but, unless I'm mistaken, the Canucks lose his rights tomorrow if he's not signed to an ELC.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Interesting I guess they just couldn't justifying using an roster slot for him because they havent seen him play in almost 2 years. but could use an AHL contract slot on him and probably start him in the ECHL​

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I was really pumped on this pick when it was made. That fizzled quickly after his major D + 1 regression.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Interesting he decided to stay in the Org.

Probably a long shot prospect now but lots and lots of competition for Abby.

Well he was bypassed in this summer's draft and obviously no NHL team offered an NHL contract so what are his options? At least he is familiar with the coaching staff and organization.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Has the advantage of being a non vet AHLer so might be able to stick around to provide depth in the developmental player category. If he can't make the Abby team, the Canucks may have to search for a spot for him since they longer are affiliated with Kalamazoo who now are in the Columbus organization. Don't think the Canucks have a ECHL affiliate.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously the Canucks scouted this kid in junior enough to be comfortable in expending a draft pick on him (fourth round, 122nd overall). But draft plus-one season was underwhelming, and last year was basically a washout.

But then he spent his entire OHL career with the Flint Firebirds, the OHL's version of the Buffalo Sabres. So maybe the drop-off was understandable. Listed at 6'2" and 210, so has a decent frame for pro hockey.

It's good that the Abbotsford Canucks have given him another shot at a pro hockey career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad