Prospect Info: 122nd overall: Vancouver selects Ethan Keppen (LW, Flint Firebirds)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Focht's season was honestly even more disappointing than Keppen's because at least in Keppen's case there is an obvious icetime/usage explanation. Focht was a guy that needed to have a real breakout year and dominate the WHL if he wanted to establish himself as a real prospect, got off to a hot start early ... and then fell on his face.

Focht is undersized ECHL material at this point.

Yeah. A now 20 year old "prospect" who didn't even notch a point a game in the WHL, on a team that has typically been led by, and given big opportunity to older/overager players...just isn't anything.

Not only is Keppen younger, with at least a plausible case for lack of opportunity hindering his production, he's also more physically suited and a better "style of play" fit, to the sort of role players with that type of production are likely going to be found in if they do find themselves carving out a small niche at higher levels.

Carson is probably Focht when it comes to earning a contract.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agree @MS

It's too bad the team while watching Woo and Focht couldn't have signed Zamula to a ELC. That kids got some promise.

Keppen is an intriguing Gadjovich to Ferland type prospect.

Needs a huge year this year or he risks not getting signed. I like his potential.

Yeah. A now 20 year old "prospect" who didn't even notch a point a game in the WHL, on a team that has typically been led by, and given big opportunity to older/overager players...just isn't anything.

Not only is Keppen younger, with at least a plausible case for lack of opportunity hindering his production, he's also more physically suited and a better "style of play" fit, to the sort of role players with that type of production are likely going to be found in if they do find themselves carving out a small niche at higher levels.

Carson is probably Focht when it comes to earning a contract.

Agreed with both.

Focht finished 18-19 with 22 points in his last 11 games and then started 19-20 similarly ... and then just flatlined. Had something like 40 points in his last 52 games, which is horrible for a guy in his last non-OA year of junior who fancies himself a pro prospect. He's a guy who needed to push himself into the top-10 in WHL scoring to solidify himself as a prospect and did nothing near that. Obviously we still get to see his overage year now (if the WHL happens next year) but I don't have a lot of hopes that he'll be worth giving a contract to.

Keppen's year was very disappointing, but there' s a lot more there to work with and you can see where he was bumped down the lineup and where it impacted his production. Hopefully he can have a big bounce-back year to earn a contract.

Agreed on Zamula. Philly is just lights-out scouting defenders. Phillippe Myers was a guy they signed in a very similar situation to Zamula and Myers is going to be a beast.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed with both.

Focht finished 18-19 with 22 points in his last 11 games and then started 19-20 similarly ... and then just flatlined. Had something like 40 points in his last 52 games, which is horrible for a guy in his last non-OA year of junior who fancies himself a pro prospect. He's a guy who needed to push himself into the top-10 in WHL scoring to solidify himself as a prospect and did nothing near that. Obviously we still get to see his overage year now (if the WHL happens next year) but I don't have a lot of hopes that he'll be worth giving a contract to.

Keppen's year was very disappointing, but there' s a lot more there to work with and you can see where he was bumped down the lineup and where it impacted his production. Hopefully he can have a big bounce-back year to earn a contract.

Agreed on Zamula. Philly is just lights-out scouting defenders. Phillippe Myers was a guy they signed in a very similar situation to Zamula and Myers is going to be a beast.
Didn’t Keppan get sick, and lose weight during the year?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Didn’t Keppan get sick, and lose weight during the year?

There has never been any explanation that I've seen for what his 'injury' was. Which is super odd.

Whatever the case, before the injury (or illness) a Russian import had come in and taken his place on the top line and was lighting it up, and Keppen had been pushed down the lineup.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There has never been any explanation that I've seen for what his 'injury' was. Which is super odd.

Whatever the case, before the injury (or illness) a Russian import had come in and taken his place on the top line and was lighting it up, and Keppen had been pushed down the lineup.
I thought I heard someone on the radio here and there was mention of mono. Fourth round pick, right? Odds are pretty slim for those guys regardless.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
no idea what happened to this guy but this is a common story for late round picks. either he bounces back or he doesn't.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Focht's season was honestly even more disappointing than Keppen's because at least in Keppen's case there is an obvious icetime/usage explanation. Focht was a guy that needed to have a real breakout year and dominate the WHL if he wanted to establish himself as a real prospect, got off to a hot start early ... and then fell on his face.

Focht is undersized ECHL material at this point.

I'm actually higher on Focht than Keppan. Focht doesn't appear to have separating skills though so I agree that he's likely going to have a tough time transitioning to the AHL level if he's not in the ECHL.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm actually higher on Focht than Keppan. Focht doesn't appear to have separating skills though so I agree that he's likely going to have a tough time transitioning to the AHL level if he's not in the ECHL.

Focht to me is just a dime-a-dozen WHLer. There are 20 other similar players in that league heading to CIS hockey.

Keppen ... wasting a season as he did when you're already a mid-round pick makes it pretty unlikely he'll make it, but I do see a few skills there that could potentially project.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Focht to me is just a dime-a-dozen WHLer. There are 20 other similar players in that league heading to CIS hockey.

Keppen ... wasting a season as he did when you're already a mid-round pick makes it pretty unlikely he'll make it, but I do see a few skills there that could potentially project.

Focht reminds me a bit of Brett McKenzie. There's a solid base for the player to develop but they didn't take the next step in their development in their last year of junior hockey. Focht did get solid reviews coming out of the WJC selections camp. Keppan, I think, does have the higher upside but I just see him as a boom or bust pick. Maybe it's the water, but I hope he gets out of Flint.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Focht reminds me a bit of Brett McKenzie. There's a solid base for the player to develop but they didn't take the next step in their development in their last year of junior hockey. Focht did get solid reviews coming out of the WJC selections camp. Keppan, I think, does have the higher upside but I just see him as a boom or bust pick. Maybe it's the water, but I hope he gets out of Flint.

Well if he's in Flint for too long, it might literally be the water.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It appears most posters aren't very bullish on Focht, although the Canucks like the fact that he plays with an edge and is a good defensive center.

But surely if the Canucks keep trying, they'll eventually come up with player from Dub who actually has an NHL future. I mean how many players from Western Canada can you blow picks on, before you find one guy who can actually play?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It appears most posters aren't very bullish on Focht, although the Canucks like the fact that he plays with an edge and is a good defensive center.

But surely if the Canucks keep trying, they'll eventually come up with player from Dub who actually has an NHL future. I mean how many players from Western Canada can you blow picks on, before you find one guy who can actually play?
Ask our historic top WHL scout, Ron Delorme.

Reactions: Bubbles

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's hard to be bullish on a mid to late round pick who didn't produce (surprisingly) well. For this reason, most of us are more bullish on McDonough than say Jack Malone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks picking out of the CHL these days, is where draft picks go to die.

Other than Bo Horvat, I'm having real trouble coming up with a single name out of the OHL who's even appeared on the big league roster. I guess technically they picked Juolevi from the London Knights, although he was initially scouted in Finland.

Looking elsewhere around the CHL, I suppose there's still a glimmer of hope for guys like Gadjovich, Lind, Woo and Focht. And far as the QMJHL is concerned, it may as well be on another planet.

The bottom line is that Canuck drafting out of Canadian Major Junior has been a black hole for a long time. You'd think they'd have done something by now to shake up their Major Junior scouting....but nothing seems to ever change.

Nov 1, 2011
Other than Bo Horvat, I'm having real trouble coming up with a single name out of the OHL who's even appeared on the big league roster. I guess technically they picked Juolevi from the London Knights, although he was initially scouted in Finland.

Jared McCann...not a bad player.

Reactions: LordBacon

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Feel for Keppen a bit as he had a rough year with injury and an import stealing his spot with Dellandrea and then COVID wiping out his draft +2.

But based on what we’ve seen, it’s 100% the correct decision to not sign him.

Bad picks happen and when they do it’s better to cut your losses than do a Mackenze Stewart.

Reactions: Szechwan and bh53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad