Golf: 120th US Open - September 17-20

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Having a meltdown over this scoring is ridiculous. You have two of the longest hitters on tour playing out of their mind, and everyone else is over par?

Seems like the setup worked great to me.
It's the arrogance of the club and it's members. They want to show how Winged Foot humbled all the great players because no one could break par. But the course in this tournament in no resembles what they play anyways so they are fooling themselves. And it's playing plenty tough right now.

Jan 3, 2012
@MrFunnyWobbl

I think you are a little off on a few things.

1. I wouldn't say anyone's playing out of their mind. How many fairways have any of these guys hit? They are hitting it as far as they can, and having good weeks scrambling. I don't think anyone's in such great control of the golf ball. It's not like this is DJ's level of play from a few weeks ago in Boston where he was -30, didn't miss a shot, and probably played the best tournament of his career.

2. I don't think anyone would lose their mind if someone played the week of their career, was under par, and beat everyone by five. But you have two guys under par, you had over 20 guys under par on day one, you had multiple scoring records set this week already for this golf course in a US Open.

3. The course really just isn't set up that difficult compared to how it can be. The greens can be so much faster than they've been. The USGA has held this course back. Thats why people are angry. There have been multiple pin positions they didn't use this week. The Round one pin positions were dumb. They put them in a position where if you were out of position, that actually set you up better to come into these greens because you'd be able to better utilize the slopes with the ball on the ground than if you were in the fairway. Rewarded bomb and gauge.

4. Another reason people are so upset is that this course is supposed to be one of the 2-3 years in the USGA rotation where we see carnage. Winged Foot, Oakmont, and maybe a very tough year at Shinnecock or Pinehurst are the only chances we get to see these guys really struggle. When you hold back one of your most difficult venues, fans are going to be upset.

4. If you don't believe any of this, what's your explanation for the huge difference in scores this week as opposed to prior US Opens on this course? Have the players gotten close to ten shots better from even 14 years ago?

Okay sure, the first day was maybe too easy. But if you take that day out, everyone is over par, except maybe Bryson and Wolff.

Yeah, this course could be more difficult, and +6 could win again. I don't see how that is necessary.

Personally, I enjoy it like this, where players still can grind out the occasional birdie, but we see a ton of bogeys out of the rough.

Par is still a good score here. I don't think this is too easy at all. This isn't Erin Hills or even Pebble last year with multiple people at or around -10.

I would prefer this to what we saw on Saturday at Shinnecock.

BDC and Wolff are trending towards par after all.

There is nothing wrong with you disagreeing with me. We can have differing opinions.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
3. The course really just isn't set up that difficult compared to how it can be. The greens can be so much faster than they've been
The greens don't have to be faster neither do the pin placements have to be tougher. The fairways have been narrowed and the rough is really long and tough. That is the great equalizer.

Jan 3, 2012
Fast greens can be effective, but at some point they just being harmful. If they wanted to make this tougher, I'd rather if have been harder pins.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Okay sure, the first day was maybe too easy. But if you take that day out, everyone is over par, except maybe Bryson and Wolff.

Fair enough.

I'm a little disappointed with the overall set-up the last few days, but Thursday really was the day I didn't like. The players were calling it pro-am pins. USGA openly admitted on Wednesday they were holding the course back. The last few days haven't been that bad, despite it being held back to an extent but I kind of feel like one day can ruin the Championship. It's only four rounds.

And sure, I know some of you like this. There are also some that like to see the best players really struggle. I guess thats what amounts for the difference in opinion. USGA under Bodenhamer has been making set-ups a little easier, so some who liked how Davis would set it up are angry and think the tournament is losing its identity.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The greens don't have to be faster neither do the pin placements have to be tougher. The fairways have been narrowed and the rough is really long and tough. That is the great equalizer.

There's too much here to pick apart that its not worth dragging this out so much further, but I'll just distill it to this, do you understand why people who view this tournament as the hardest golf tournament in the world are upset that Bodenhamer has went away from how the USGA had been setting up US Open venues? There's a distinct difference. A lot think this tournament is losing its identity.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
3 shot lead now for Thickie

looks like he’ll win his first Major. Look forward to the salt on golf twitter

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Bryson is dialed in and getting some fortunate bounces inwards on the fairways from the rough this round a couple times. I can't see him falling off here. What I can see is Schauffele creeping back under par and making a challenge for 2nd.

EDIT: Xander just bogeyed 13, oof.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I know it’s downhill and downwind but I could simply never fathom hitting an 8 or even a 7 iron to a pin 230 yards away as a recreational player

Jan 3, 2012
I have great respect for Bryson's willingness to try new unproven things to improve as a player.

If you said "oh I think I can win the US Open hitting it crazy long, to hell with the rough" most other tour pros would call you nuts.

Jan 3, 2012
I think we can say the wheels did in fact come off for Wolff. But it ended up not really mattering as its overshadowed by Bryson's play today.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The only questions are how much Bryson will win by, will he beat Zoeller’s 1984 score of -4, and if he stays the only player below par.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I have great respect for Bryson's willingness to try new unproven things to improve as a player.

If you said "oh I think I can win the US Open hitting it crazy long, to hell with the rough" most other tour pros would call you nuts.
Well it also helps when you are built like a linebacker and can muscle the shots out of the rough. I think a lot of pros will try to take a page out of BdeC 's playbook. Getting big and knocking the heck out of the ball is just part of it. The guy thinks the game differently than almost anyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad