12 years since Habs-Caps Game 6 Halak 53 save night

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
And hindsight is 20/20. Nobody knew what Halak could be at that point in time so saying this is kind of funny. Halak was a 9th round pick 2 years before Price was drafted and I don't remember him being on anyone's radar as a future NHL starter.
We drafted a Goaltender instead of a projected #1 center… we could of had Kopitar and selected Jonathan Quick in the second round. I was screaming at the TV when they took Price over Kopitar.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
We drafted a Goaltender instead of a projected #1 center… we could of had Kopitar and selected Jonathan Quick in the second round. I was screaming at the TV when they took Price over Kopitar.
I guess Gainey like a lot of NHL GMs go with the best player available with a 5th overall pick...right or wrong and they felt Price was the best available. I mean 5 other teams skipped Kopitar also. I wonder if he would have had the same career as a Hab.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
You'd still need a starter in that case. Halak never really materialized into a starting goalie.
He was a starter for us, he was for St-Louis, he played like a starter in his brief time in Washington and New York also. It might not have been for long period of times but you don’t play over 500 NHL games without having been a starter at one point in your career.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
1st I hear of that. Interesting

Yeah, and we might have rebuild properly and have one of McDavid or MacKinnon. Whenever you are rebuilding and you have a star franchise goalie as the 1st piece, it's a problem. I rather acquire that piece towards the end after you build up your centers and D.
This is just off my memory, but it was literally days or weeks after the Halak-Eller trade. It wasn't something someone spit out after Giroux broke out into a #1C. Not like how people keep adding our best players to rumoured Lecavalier trades. In the end I think people were up to Subban, Price, Patches, four first round picks, and the rights to the 70's dynasty cups for Vinny.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He was a starter for us, he was for St-Louis, he played like a starter in his brief time in Washington and New York also. It might not have been for long period of times but you don’t play over 500 NHL games without having been a starter at one point in your career.
All those teams were bad though. In the rest of his career combined Halak hasn't played as many playoff games as he did that one year with us. He only got games in 2020 because Rask left the bubble to go home. Otherwise he had 9 games the rest of his career. Even on the teams he did make the post-season with, they chose to start another goalie. How is that starter material? Starters don't play 40 games a year.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
All those teams were bad though. In the rest of his career combined Halak hasn't played as many playoff games as he did that one year with us. He only got games in 2020 because Rask left the bubble to go home. Otherwise he had 9 games the rest of his career. Even on the teams he did make the post-season with, they chose to start another goalie. How is that starter material? Starters don't play 40 games a year.

His best chance to prove himself in the playoffs was in 2012, he was on his way to a shutout in game #2 until Barret Jackman ran into him. The other moment was in 2013 but Brian Elliot got the nod because Halak was coming back from a groin injury and Hitchcock didn’t want to risk it.

Both situations were out of his hand and had nothing to do with his play. He got a chance to prove himself in 2015 and almost did the impossible by eliminating Washington again.

40 games is still half a season. It’s up to debate but I think anything over half a season should be consider as a starting goalie.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He was given opportunities to be a starter, but they didn't last because he wasn't a starter.

Ultimately he was more of a 1b guy.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
And hindsight is 20/20. Nobody knew what Halak could be at that point in time so saying this is kind of funny. Halak was a 9th round pick 2 years before Price was drafted and I don't remember him being on anyone's radar as a future NHL starter.
My point is you don’t draft a goalie when there’s a projected #1 center available and your franchise needs a center. It was a very bad move in my opinion. Halak or no Halak, we could have drafted Quick in the second round.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We could of had Kopitar along with that journeyman.. we would have been a much better and more exciting team.
1. It would've been Kopitar and some other goalie. Halak was never really a starter in the NHL. He was always a platoon or number two.
2. Kopitar went like 6 or 7 slots later. You're cherrypicking him. He wasn't even the next center taken.
3. Kopitar would've had to have gone through the same crap that all our other players did with Therrien. f***ing horrible environment to play in. If nothing else, his success would've been hampered here just as the success of all our other players were.

Bottom line, we got a superstar with the number five. And.... we never should've even had the 5th pick to begin with. We were extremely lucky to get it. And we walked away with a superstar. Absolutely zero to be upset about.

Anyways, this is getting off topic. Let's just leave this one about Halak and his Godlike performance. He was a modern day Steve Penny for us.

Reactions: Andy

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Halak Attak!!! What a magical run that was.

Too bad Hamburger ruined it all in the Conference Finals. Upsetting the top seaded Capitals and Pens was euphoric. The city rejoiced and savoured moments from 1993. Last year's run though was truly wonderful. Too bad it all crashed and burned within a year.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
We could of had Kopitar along with that journeyman.. we would have been a much better and more exciting team.
Perhaps but back then, teams were encouraging a more defensive style of play. Price was a logical choive to build around. Nowadays, goalies have been relegated to a lesser role, as more teams are struggling to find offensive players.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
My point is you don’t draft a goalie when there’s a projected #1 center available and your franchise needs a center. It was a very bad move in my opinion. Halak or no Halak, we could have drafted Quick in the second round.
Totally get what you're saying. I mean, who wouldn't take Quick and Kopitar over Price? Sounds great.

But again... you're cherrypicking a player who went eons later. Quick went in the third round... 72nd overall. SEVEN goalies went between Price and Quick. And... again, Quick played in his prime behind some of the best teams in the league. There's no way he'd put up those numbers behind the clubs we had here.

If we didn't pick Price, we'd likely have picked Brule. And then we would've wound up maybe with some backup goalie in the third round. That's what's most likely to have happened. Instead, we took a HOFer who carried us for years, won a Hart, took us to the finals (almost twice)... He was an incredible pick.

Was Mats Sundin a bad pick? I don't think so. He went first overall and went on to a HOF career. It doesn't matter that Nik Lidstrom went two rounds later... he's still an awesome pick.

And at the end of the day, we're talking about Jaro Halak here. He never demonstrated the ability to be a durable starter in the NHL. He was a journeyman who (again) played behind some of the best teams in the league. And he still had to fight for his job every single season. He was an oustanding backup goalie. He had a Steve Penny run with us and we should remember it fondly.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Why can't some folks accept that Halak's impression of prime Hasek at times during that magical run was beautiful and immortal, but that it didn't mean that #41 was indeed Dominik Hasek reborn?

That game 6 performance will remain the best single-game playoff goalie performance in the CH for a long time. Value it for what it is / was.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
1. It would've been Kopitar and some other goalie. Halak was never really a starter in the NHL. He was always a platoon or number two.
2. Kopitar went like 6 or 7 slots later. You're cherrypicking him. He wasn't even the next center taken.
3. Kopitar would've had to have gone through the same crap that all our other players did with Therrien. f***ing horrible environment to play in. If nothing else, his success would've been hampered here just as the success of all our other players were.

Bottom line, we got a superstar with the number five. And.... we never should've even had the 5th pick to begin with. We were extremely lucky to get it. And we walked away with a superstar. Absolutely zero to be upset about.

Anyways, this is getting off topic. Let's just leave this one about Halak and his Godlike performance. He was a modern day Steve Penny for us.
I guess it’s just a matter of preference, there was some chatter about us selecting Kopitar because we were in need of a #1 center. I was expecting us to take him.

Yes I agree that we did draft a super star in Price. The big mistake was not giving him proper goal scoring support for all those years.

As for Therrien I have no doubt in his abilities to mishandle and have a negative impact on players.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Totally get what you're saying. I mean, who wouldn't take Quick and Kopitar over Price? Sounds great.

But again... you're cherrypicking a player who went eons later. Quick went in the third round... 72nd overall. SEVEN goalies went between Price and Quick. And... again, Quick played in his prime behind some of the best teams in the league. There's no way he'd put up those numbers behind the clubs we had here.

If we didn't pick Price, we'd likely have picked Brule. And then we would've wound up maybe with some backup goalie in the third round. That's what's most likely to have happened. Instead, we took a HOFer who carried us for years, won a Hart, took us to the finals (almost twice)... He was an incredible pick.

Was Mats Sundin a bad pick? I don't think so. He went first overall and went on to a HOF career. It doesn't matter that Nik Lidstrom went two rounds later... he's still an awesome pick.

And at the end of the day, we're talking about Jaro Halak here. He never demonstrated the ability to be a durable starter in the NHL. He was a journeyman who (again) played behind some of the best teams in the league. And he still had to fight for his job every single season. He was an oustanding backup goalie. He had a Steve Penny run with us and we should remember it fondly.
Brule would have been an absolute disaster of a pick. Yes it’s true that Halak was never really able to establish himself in other cities as a #1 despite his very good numbers.. was it a Penny run or was he made to play in Montreal under this pressure? We’ll never know but the former might be more probable I’ll give you that one.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I can't remember exactly where I read this but apparently, the pick was either going to be marc Staal, or price.

Price was a little off the wall at #5. There was talk about Ottawa picking him a few spots down, but price wasn't even the unanimous top goalie as some people preferred Rask... Yet Rask by comparison went late first round.

It was kind of a ballsy pick at #5 that worked out really well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I can't remember exactly where I read this but apparently, the pick was either going to be marc Staal, or price.

Price was a little off the wall at #5. There was talk about Ottawa picking him a few spots down, but price wasn't even the unanimous top goalie as some people preferred Rask... Yet Rask by comparison went late first round.

It was kind of a ballsy pick at #5 that worked out really well.
I actually remember thinking Kopitar would be interesting. Big Center in the vein of a Mats Sundin. Honestly I don’t follow the minors much and go by the writings of the draft ‘experts’ but he was intriguing. I was a little surprised that he fell out of the top 10.

As for Staal, he went onto a solid career but man… I’m glad we went with Price instead.

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I remember the camera showing Jacques Martin scribbling furiously all the time , and the compliments on his coaching. I kept thinking, all this guy is writing is "Halak stop puck, ""Halak stop puck."

It was fun though. And suddenly the Habs were a thing again and the bandwagon was big.
Ironically it was the 2009 season where there was a lot of hype and bandwagon support just to have that season go off the rails and end on a sweep. Then in 2010 when expectations were super low, we caught fire and everyone hopped on. It was a great time!

Reactions: yianik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad