12 years since Habs-Caps Game 6 Halak 53 save night

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I remember the camera showing Jacques Martin scribbling furiously all the time , and the compliments on his coaching. I kept thinking, all this guy is writing is "Halak stop puck, ""Halak stop puck."

It was fun though. And suddenly the Habs were a thing again and the bandwagon was big.

Reactions: donghabs98

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The win against the pens was even more staifying when you consider they did it without markov.

Cooke took him out in game 1 after he had already missed half the regular season.

It's such a shame we lost so much of markov's prime to major injuries.

A defense of markov along with hamrlik and spacek tightriping father time, and hal Gill playing his best hockey.... Add gorges and that would have a been a formidable defense to deal with in general, if for only a few weeks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Shocked when we beat not only the Caps but the Pens as well. It was mind boggling. I’d have bet my house against that happening.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

expy

Nov 2, 2010
The Halak story was great until the Philly series and the obligatory "if you're a goaltender, tend the goal" moment that pretty much killed us.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

A bit OT but its 12 years to the day since Halak had that crazy game 6 performance against Washington and since Subban made his playoff debut.

That was some run. You had clutch performances and a complete fluke run to the conference finals where there was a 7v8 seed matchup.

Hardest I've seen Bell center rock

Reactions: donghabs98

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The win against the pens was even more staifying when you consider they did it without markov.

Cooke took him out in game 1 after he had already missed half the regular season.

It's such a shame we lost so much of markov's prime to major injuries.

A defense of markov along with hamrlik and spacek tightriping father time, and hal Gill playing his best hockey.... Add gorges and that would have a been a formidable defense to deal with in general, if for only a few weeks.

You forgot a young dashing and extremely energetic Subban.

Reactions: MasterD

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
If I think of one epic moment since I have watched the Habs, then this would be it. The Stanley Cup run is a very close second. Halak was simply unbeatable, he was THE zone. Our D was crazy good too.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If I think of one epic moment since I have watched the Habs, then this would be it. The Stanley Cup run is a very close second. Halak was simply unbeatable, he was THE zone. Our D was crazy good too.
He had two great rounds................and then a sieve vs Philly, but it was a nice playoff run.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Halak + Kopitar >>> Price

Just an opinion, I would have drafted Kopitar and kept Halak.
And hindsight is 20/20. Nobody knew what Halak could be at that point in time so saying this is kind of funny. Halak was a 9th round pick 2 years before Price was drafted and I don't remember him being on anyone's radar as a future NHL starter.

Reactions: David Suzuki

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
And hindsight is 20/20. Nobody knew what Halak could be at that point in time so saying this is kind of funny. Halak was a 9th round pick 2 years before Price was drafted and I don't remember him being on anyone's radar as a future NHL starter.

I would have simply traded the assets required to get Crosby in 2005 if I were in charge. Not sure why Gainey didn't think of that.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Although that run was good, Halak was spectacular, but was also pulled twice. The "Kreider" year I thought was more rewarding, if just for beating the Bruins in game 7 after sweeping the Bolts. That was our year to go all the way if not for...

Last year's surprise run was also great. By great I mean beating the Leafs of course.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hardest I've seen Bell center rock

I've seen a lot of Habs games but only one playoff game at the Bell center and one in Boston. The game I seen at the Bell Center was game 3 against the Lighting in 2014. Gave out those little free towels and I still have it today. Rene Bourque scored with a 11 seconds in the game and the place was rocking.

That was just before the Lightning started to rise into contenders. Contenders since 2014 and won cups finally in shortened seasons in the last two years. Tough business the NHL is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Halak should have been the goalie we kept.

556 games played, 285 wins, 2.49 gaa and .916 save%

Price has 711 games played with 360 wins, 2.51 gaa and .917 save%

I was on the keep Halak train as well but that depending on what the return for Price was. We can only guess today

Reactions: the

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
You'd still need a starter in that case. Halak never really materialized into a starting goalie.
Nah bro he was perfect for us, we never needed Price, we should have kept Halak, drafted Kopitar, focused on an offensive team instead of a boring team that needs a goalie to stand on his head every night. HUGE mistake IMO.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I was on the keep Halak train as well but that depending on what the return for Price was. We can only guess today
Apparently Gauthier asked philly for giroux and they said no. This was when Giroux was seen as a second line guy. It would not have been a game changing trade if we traded Price and he probably would have won more vezinas and a cup anywhere else.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yeah Crosby is a bad example because of the value to the organization, but let's use Kane in 2007 instead lol.
Especially knowing McDonagh was traded for bloody Gomez...

Now that is in an interesting question would most people prefer Patrick Kane or (if both actually played for the Habs) McDonagh and Pacioretty.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Apparently Gauthier asked philly for giroux and they said no. This was when Giroux was seen as a second line guy. It would not have been a game changing trade if we traded Price and he probably would have won more vezinas and a cup anywhere else.

1st I hear of that. Interesting

Yeah, and we might have rebuild properly and have one of McDavid or MacKinnon. Whenever you are rebuilding and you have a star franchise goalie as the 1st piece, it's a problem. I rather acquire that piece towards the end after you build up your centers and D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad