Post-Game Talk: #12 | Kings at Flyers | November 4, 2023 | Loss 5-0

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Cates is a wing playing center and playing it poorly. He doesn’t have the quickness required to cover the amount of ice that a center needs. He can make an occasional sharp pass and is willing to go to the net. However he is poor on the dot and does not have that much of a shot. I give him credit for effort but he should be back on the wing with the third line where he belongs.
AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Of course you can hope Cates becomes a 3c. You can play him at c is all year and evaluate end of the year. But as of today? He is better suited as a 3lw. And Laughton as of today is a better player.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Cates is a wing playing center and playing it poorly. He doesn’t have the quickness required to cover the amount of ice that a center needs. He can make an occasional sharp pass and is willing to go to the net. However he is poor on the dot and does not have that much of a shot. I give him credit for effort but he should be back on the wing with the third line where he belongs.
Think your expectations are too high. Teams rarely have more than 5-6 players with 30+ ES points.

Pageau has been one of the best 3Cs for an extended stretch (overpaid, but that's another story).
His career high at ES were 31 and 32 points at age 23-24.
His last three seasons in NYI, 27 Ipro-rated), 28, 28.

Last season, Cates' first at center, he had 28 ES points, and was a Selke candidate.
Cates needs to work on his faceoffs, but other than that, he's fine for a 3C.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Candidate for 15th place :snide:

I wonder which two Torts-slurping Philly homers gave him those single 2nd and 3rd place votes.
Given his defensive metrics were elite, playing center, matched up against top lines, he should have gotten more votes. To do that and still score 28 points is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Oh look, another post of you complaining about me.

Fact is, I bring more positivity about the Flyers to this board than pretty much any poster, and that's not liked on a board of overwhelming negativity toward the Flyers.

100% false, eh?

So you can't acknowledge that even SOME of Frost's fans hate Cates? Let alone that there's a correlation?

Who's supposedly lying again?
The negativity is warranted...

This team has been spinning it's wheels and there is no sign of improvement.

You bring "positivity" because you are buying hook, line and sinker into the propaganda that the new front office is selling as change but it's not.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Given his defensive metrics were elite, playing center, matched up against top lines, he should have gotten more votes. To do that and still score 28 points is nothing to sneeze at.
Playing mostly with the team's three best wingers and scoring at 1.46 ESP/60 is not going to get you anywhere near the Selke.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Playing mostly with the team's three best wingers and scoring at 1.46 ESP/60 is not going to get you anywhere near the Selke.
It's supposed to reward the best defensive forward, not the best two way forward.
Point is however you dice it, Cates was above average as a 3C last year.
He's still learning on the job, but he's a core piece going forward due to his versatility.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When a bottom 6 winger is a core piece, that is all we need to know.
You are team building, not give me 3 scorers and maybe I'll make the playoffs building.

A good team goes 9-10 deep at forward and 4-5 deep on defense, the bottom of the roster guys are fungible (close enough to replacement that you don't lose sleep).

Middle six forwards like Cates have value to PO teams.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The negativity is warranted...

This team has been spinning it's wheels and there is no sign of improvement.

You bring "positivity" because you are buying hook, line and sinker into the propaganda that the new front office is selling as change but it's not.
Suit yourself.

I’m very happy with the progress they’re making over the last two seasons.

The on-ice effort & play have improved by leaps & bounds from the pre-Torts era.

I’m also excited by prospects such as Gauthier & Michkov (& Brink).

And I’m happy that corporate scourge Camillo is gone.

Sue me.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Suit yourself.

I’m very happy with the progress they’re making over the last two seasons.

The on-ice effort & play have improved by leaps & bounds from the pre-Torts era.

I’m also excited by prospects such as Gauthier & Michkov (& Brink).

And I’m happy that corporate scourge Camillo is gone.

Sue me.
I'm genuinely curious... Do you ever wonder why you seem to be involved in more vehement disagreements/arguments than the typical poster on this board?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm genuinely curious... Do you ever wonder why you seem to be involved in more vehement disagreements/arguments than the typical poster on this board?
Is this really a mystery?

This board is mostly a clique of like-minded people, where opposing opinions are shouted down or worse. I’m sure there are boards where the inverse would be true.

Reactions: antman12

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Look at Carter Hart's numbers.....

.913 Sv % if you don't want to look

So if that's his save % in 8 games played and then the teams is what you posted.... What's the rest look like?
They only played 8 games?

Hart hasn't exactly kept this team afloat, now Boston, when your two goalies combined for .938 Sv%, that's keeping a team afloat.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Think your expectations are too high. Teams rarely have more than 5-6 players with 30+ ES points.

Pageau has been one of the best 3Cs for an extended stretch (overpaid, but that's another story).
His career high at ES were 31 and 32 points at age 23-24.
His last three seasons in NYI, 27 Ipro-rated), 28, 28.

Last season, Cates' first at center, he had 28 ES points, and was a Selke candidate.
Cates needs to work on his faceoffs, but other than that, he's fine for a 3C.

Hello, strawman.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad