Post-Game Talk: #12 | Kings at Flyers | November 4, 2023 | Loss 5-0

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Oh look, another post of you complaining about me.

Fact is, I bring more positivity about the Flyers to this board than pretty much any poster, and that's not liked on a board of overwhelming negativity toward the Flyers.

100% false, eh?

So you can't acknowledge that even SOME of Frost's fans hate Cates? Let alone that there's a correlation?

Who's supposedly lying again?
Be positive about them all that you want but don't expect to be able to peddle bullshit which isn't based in reality without being called out on it.

No one hates Cates. I literally explained that on this page but here you go being intentionally obtuse which has been a common thing with you over the years.

How many times have we explained our stances in detail only for you to completely ignore it which would mean that either you're a moron because you can't read or comprehend, which I don't believe that you are, or you're intentionally ignoring it in order to feel like some type of hero.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ah yes, trying to portray that Cates and Frost are getting similar ice time. Totally legitimate and not disingenuous at all.

You know and we all know that what you're portraying here is cherry picking these numbers from a small sample size so why do you do it when you harp against that exact thing?
Silly season again. This early in the season, ALL we have are small samples.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Silly season again. This early in the season, ALL we have are small samples.
Do you believe that comparing Frost and Cates' ice time using a per 60 metric is legitimate knowing that Frost was benched for 6 games? Do you believe that it tells the whole picture or are you using those stats to paint the picture that YOU want?

You're not correcting any mythology here.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There are many posters in this echo chamber who refuse to give Torts credit for anything. Ever. Every single post is a criticism.

Contrast that to I, who gives credit & compliments to even my least favorite players like Frost.

Not to mention my posts are far more varied than all of the hateposting that this board has become.
Crazy how more people don't follow your lead. You know, the guy who says Fletch is a good GM.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do you believe that comparing Frost and Cates' ice time using a per 60 metric is legitimate knowing that Frost was benched for 6 games? Do you believe that it tells the whole picture or are you using those stats to paint the picture that YOU want?

You're not correcting any mythology here.
What I'm comparing is their usage IN games.

Couts is the clear #1, Cates/Frost/Laughton have gotten similar usage, Frost gets more PP, Cates gets more PK, Laughton in between. And Frost has as good of wings as Cates (Foerster, TK).

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What I'm comparing is their usage IN games.

Couts is the clear #1, Cates/Frost/Laughton have gotten similar usage, Frost gets more PP, Cates gets more PK, Laughton in between. And Frost has as good of wings as Cates (Foerster, TK).

You reference that you're correcting mythology and point out that "I thought Torts hated young players?" and yet you're trying to portray what you're saying is simply "usage IN games." There's more to it.

The whole thing rings a little hollow especially knowing that a large portion of Frosts' ice time has come with Couturier being out which will skew the already small sample size. This along with him being scratched for six games is important context.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Facts is facts. Cates wasn't favored last season and he's not favored this season when both are playing.
Notice Brink is getting a lot more ES time than both of them, I wonder why?
I mean he's an undersized, offense first rookie, the kind of player Torts supposedly hates!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Facts is facts. Cates wasn't favored last season and he's not favored this season when both are playing.
I mean he's an undersized, offense first rookie, the kind of player Torts supposedly hates!
You still haven't answered the questions.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Sharks game makes me nervous. I am all for the tank but that would be shameful. I suppose it’s a win-win because if they are going to bottom out without Hart the next few weeks losing to a lottery competitor wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world
Bring on the shame. The undeserved hubris needs to be beat out of this franchise (not the players, just everybody else)

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I haven't been around a lot as much as I used to, so the board has turned on Cates? or is it because Torts likes him, therefore everyone doesn't like him now because he's viewed as an extension of Torts?
1)As long as Noah Cates is viewed properly which is a nice player who is our future Scott Laughton replacement, I have zero issues. When people think he is a legit top 6 2 way player as of today you are kidding yourself.

2) Its the hypocrisy of Torts that drive me and a lot of people nuts. If you are going to bench the youth at a minimum Cates deserved a 3rd period benching last night. (granted the whole team could have been benched last night it was that bad). Instead Cates will hear crickets.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Oh look, another post of you complaining about me.

Fact is, I bring more positivity about the Flyers to this board than pretty much any poster, and that's not liked on a board of overwhelming negativity toward the Flyers.

100% false, eh?

So you can't acknowledge that even SOME of Frost's fans hate Cates? Let alone that there's a correlation?

Who's supposedly lying again?
Lets be clear.

I hate the view that somehow Cates is a poor man's Couts getting better and better. He is not Couts never will be Couts never will be a top 5 forward on a cup team. I have no issue Laughton should go at the deadline for a 1 plus and Cates takes the Laughton role.

I hate the double standards of Torts. Frost gets 6 games for being quiet in 2 games and Cates will get top minutes next game no problem. Bare bare minimum Cates should be 4th line for a game if you buy the tough love treatment works. Instead Cates will hear nada because Torts likes him.

Cates and Frost is not the object of the hate. TORTS IS THE OBJECT OF THE HATE!!!! Another flyer head coach who values mucking in the corners over raw talent.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Rocky Thompson?
No. Well, yes. Him too, but I was referring to Charlie. It was also more tongue-in-cheek type comment.

All through last year, and as recently as last week, Charlie constantly stated that Frost didn’t show anything on the PP. He used this a negative against Frost. An example:

While most of us agree with him, we also noted all last year that Frost was being used as both net front and in the bumper. We ripped it then, and we ripped it now. I am all for him agreeing with this postion but maybe it’s time for him to reevaluate his opinion from last year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
1)As long as Noah Cates is viewed properly which is a nice player who is our future Scott Laughton replacement, I have zero issues. When people think he is a legit top 6 2 way player as of today you are kidding yourself.
Who has suggested Cates is a top 6 player?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Some mythology should be corrected.

Zamula is 4th in 5x5 minutes/60 despite his subpar play, I think that's being patient with a young player, but if he doesn't improve, he's destined for 3rd pair minutes. He and Belpedio are clearly the worst of the six D-men so far.

Brink is 2nd, Foerster 6th in 5x5 minutes/60. Thought Torts hated young players?
Cates 12:10, Laughton 11:57, Frost 11:37 - pretty much equal time.
Frost is 3:08 on the PP, Cates is 1:53.
Zamula have the same usage when Staal was available

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Facts is facts, unless you're talking about Cates' production or this team's spot in the standings. In those cases, facts is not telling the whole story and we need to put them in context.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
I can live with yesterday’s outcome. To date, this club has given me what I want (reason to think it’s not so bad) along with what I don’t want on most nights (regulation wins). Ideally, they’ll play well, mostly on the backs of young players and Hart, but come up just short of a win, ideally in regulation.

I think Torts is a better-then-average coach, but I’m not so sure the old-school benching stuff works with younger guys as much as some yelling/stern words and putting them back out there.

Reactions: BernieParent

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Who has suggested Cates is a top 6 player?
All you have to do DH is turn to page one of your comments of Cates new contract and see Cates > Laughton with a lot more upside left.

Either that mean you think Laughton is a 9 on a cup team or you think Cates is a top 6.

• Wow
Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All you have to do DH is turn to page one of your comments of Cates new contract and see Cates > Laughton with a lot more upside left.

Either that mean you think Laughton is a 9 on a cup team or you think Cates is a top 6.
No, it just means Cates has a similar role as Laughton.
Laughton is faster, and better as a pure forechecker but Cates is a much better defensive player.

Obviously with only one year under his belt and relatively new to center, Cates has more upside than 29 year old Laughton.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
No, it just means Cates has a similar role as Laughton.
Laughton is faster, and better as a pure forechecker but Cates is a much better defensive player.

Obviously with only one year under his belt and relatively new to center, Cates has more upside than 29 year old Laughton.
Is Cates as of today a much better player than Laughton? Easy question.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Cates is a wing playing center and playing it poorly. He doesn’t have the quickness required to cover the amount of ice that a center needs. He can make an occasional sharp pass and is willing to go to the net. However he is poor on the dot and does not have that much of a shot. I give him credit for effort but he should be back on the wing with the third line where he belongs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad