GDT: 12/9/23 -- CAR (#1) @ VAN (#18)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Aho needs to look in the mirror.

Got the huge contract and is the top paid player but he is mailing it in almost every night right now. TT-Jarvis-KK same. Necas has mostly tried but he makes too many mistakes (plus seems so demoralized he didn’t even celebrate when on ice for one of the teams goal <Skeji I think>).

RBA is not a quitter but anyone coach would say sayonara (or be told) to this group. Plus, Turtle neck Donnie your roster moves have sucked and it started with the AHL-ECHL clown show move this offseason.

On track to not make the playoffs and at the same time be positioned for a meh middle first draft pick.

Any sunshiners left to retort?
So bad but your on a roll. Dont stop now

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
As a corollary to this, I've had enough Bad Days in my life that a bad hockey game isn't enough to upset me. All of my grandparents have passed away (three due to cancer, another from a heart attack on Superbowl Sunday). In 2011 I broke my collarbone. In 2018 I went to a movie and came home to find the City of Raleigh had backflowed hundred of gallons of sewage water into my home (they refused to pay for the damages). In 2020 I lost my job due to Covid (the restaurant where I worked was originally shut down 'temporarily', then that became permanent).

Those were Bad Days, and I've had many more I won't mention here. I'm sure every single person here over the age of 13 has had many of their own. Don't sweat the small stuff, folks. Hockey is definitely the small stuff.

I mean we've all had bad stretches in life. That doesn't change the fact that the team we are all emotionally invested in is on the struggle bus this year with guys who make more money in 10 months than most of us will see in a lifetime completely mailing it in while we are paying an ever increasing dollar value to watch them, both in person through skyrocketing prices and on TV through a garbage Bally deal.

And if you're telling us not to care about the Canes because they are largely insignificant, why even be here anymore.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Our top 6 has been invisible this entire road trip. Noesen, Drury, etc have been doing their part, but they can’t do everything.
And the goaltending is what it is.

But the biggest thing I noticed was there was no anger on the bench as the final horn sounded. Just a lot of acceptance.
Noesen and Drury have earned more ice time.

Rod preaches accountability....he needs to reward those two.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I mean we've all had bad stretches in life. That doesn't change the fact that the team we are all emotionally invested in is on the struggle bus this year with guys who make more money in 10 months than most of us will see in a lifetime completely mailing it in while we are paying an ever increasing dollar value to watch them, both in person through skyrocketing prices and on TV through a garbage Bally deal.

And if you're telling us not to care about the Canes because they are largely insignificant, why even be here anymore.
I think both things can be true at the same time; this is more in general to this discussion and not just directed at you.

A. We're emotionally invested (and to a certain extent, financially depending on the fan with tickets and merchandise they have paid for) in our team. After all, we're frequent members of a hockey chat board; that much is clear to everyone about our emotional investment.

B. There are way more important things in life than being a hockey fan.

Point B doesn't mean you shouldn't get upset at all, but also it means to put things into perspective so it doesn't ruin your week, etc. We feel upset as fans, but imagine how the team and their families feel. The team's performance impacts them much more than us even if they're all richer then we'll all be.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
At this point you have to trade for a goalie. Any goalie. 4 of the last 5 games there’s been a goal allowed that every other NHL goalie stops and they’ve lost 3 of them by 1 goal.

There are other issues, this is not to dismiss that at all, but league average goaltending gets at minimum 2 points ours of the last 4 games.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

To be fair, I was asked for the sunshiner's perspective. It was not unsolicited. :)

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Yeah it really sucks but Andersen has been out over a month and still no timetable (at least publicly) for a return. Raanta and kochetkov can’t cover for his absence, so something needs to be done. It sucks but that’s where we’re at. Yeah there are scoring and defense issues too, but this is low hanging fruit. A mediocre goalie should be available for a pick from somewhere, and mediocre would be an improvement on what we’re getting

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Worth a listen (tending and stars)

Ah yes back to the "getting goalied" excuse. I mean we're being "out-goalied" in that an AHL scrub could perform better than our. NHL goalies have been, but we're not losing because other goalies are performing well. We're "getting goalied" because we have the worst shot selection and shit setups imaginable and make it painfully easy for cardboard cutout to make saves. I've been watching a lot of other teams/games lately and it amazes me how many good chances even bad players/teams get where they really force a goalie to make a save. Our goalies aren't doing that part, and we're not forcing our opponents to make many tough saves. To watch those games where players are moving quick in the ozone and passing around, then watching our games where it's dump and chase and slow perimeter play, it's night and day. Those games are exciting to watch, ours are not. Minnesota the other night was down by one and just kept mercilessly charging the net and firing dangerous chances and forcing EDM goalie and defense to scramble and just couldn't get that tying goal, but that was definitely a "good" loss. 50% of our wins this year have been "bad wins" but have we had a single "good loss"? Have we had more than 1-2 games where we looked competent for more than 20-30 min?

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
1702235159471.png

Ah yes back to the "getting goalied" excuse. I mean we're being "out-goalied" in that an AHL scrub could perform better than our. NHL goalies have been, but we're not losing because other goalies are performing well. We're "getting goalied" because we have the worst shot selection and shit setups imaginable and make it painfully easy for cardboard cutout to make saves. I've been watching a lot of other teams/games lately and it amazes me how many good chances even bad players/teams get where they really force a goalie to make a save. Our goalies aren't doing that part, and we're not forcing our opponents to make many tough saves. To watch those games where players are moving quick in the ozone and passing around, then watching our games where it's dump and chase and slow perimeter play, it's night and day. Those games are exciting to watch, ours are not. Minnesota the other night was down by one and just kept mercilessly charging the net and firing dangerous chances and forcing EDM goalie and defense to scramble and just couldn't get that tying goal, but that was definitely a "good" loss. 50% of our wins this year have been "bad wins" but have we had a single "good loss"? Have we had more than 1-2 games where we looked competent for more than 20-30 min?
Should I presume that you in the camp that suggests our current mode of play should change, both offensively and defensively?

Reactions: Daeavorn and zman77

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Absolutely. Here's my retort:

Life is bigger than a hockey game. Way, way bigger. Go do something nice for somebody.

I've wasted too much of my life being mad about stuff like this, and I regret it.
Amen to this. After losing my father and brother in the last couple of years, it really puts things in perspective. I "hopefully" have 30 good years left on this planet. I'm not wasting any of that time getting mad about sports. It applies to a lot more than sports as well.

Heyheylj

Jul 24, 2021
I will provide some sunshine on this rainy day. While I too, as a passionate Hurricanes fan, am disappointed in the team’s performance this season, I know that they have given me lots of joy and entertainment over the past 5 years. I remember the dark days of this team and I don’t believe this is that. The team is struggling but they have good players who care and a good coach who cares. They do have a good work ethic. Executing and trying hard are two very different things. This season has been hard losing Freddie and it has exposed some issues that in the past they have been able to overcome. I believe they will figure it out. I hope they can be like the Florida team of last year and get on a roll with their backs to the wall. We could be that fan base that sticks with them and hangs in there when things are tough-it would make the turn around that much more sweet!

Last edited:

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
View attachment 781070

Should I presume that you in the camp that suggests our current mode of play should change, both offensively and defensively?
I think it's time to separate aho and Jarvis. I'd like to see Svech Aho Turbo again. I agree that Turbo scores primarily on his right side.

I don't understand how rod and tulsky can't see that about turbo.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think it's time to separate aho and Jarvis. I'd like to see Svech Aho Turbo again. I agree that Turbo scores primarily on his right side.

I don't understand how rod and tulsky can't see that about turbo.
Jarvis has been so reliably put with Aho no matter what both are doing, I am starting to wonder if this is being directed from much higher up in the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad