GDT: 12/7: Boston Bruins vs. Injured Birds | 7pm ET | NHLN, NESN, 98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If you saw what Thornton did to Orpik and what Neal did to Marchand, but didn't know the outcome, and then I said, "predict the suspensions," you'd say Neal 10 and Thornton zero.

But people react to the outcome, not to the intent.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Thornton had his gloves on and didn't even land a square punch in the least bit. Someone tell me how Orpik got knocked out on that. Not saying he wasn't KOd, just baffled as to how he went out that easily given that no hard punches were landed.

Sometimes it doesn't take much-just the right spot.

I haven't watched a replay but somebody speculated that he may have hit his head on a knee on the wa down.

Either way something landed just right and knocked him out.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

thanks, here's a gif too:
826268438.gif

Dirty, dirty hit. I"m sorry, but I don't see this being a clean hit at all, have to disagree w/ people calling it clean. Textbook blindside hit to the head and Eriksson never even touched the puck.

2KA

Oct 15, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'm just reading up on/watching youtube videos of all the Eriksson/Orpik/Thornton stuff. I mean the actual hockey game.

:laugh: I figured. Smith scored on a great shot from a nice feed by Bergeron. Their first goal boucned off two Bruins and in and their 2nd one was a partial breakaway by Neal and scored 5 hole. Tuukka probably wants it back.

Seids made a kick save on Jokinen on a wide open net.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
If you saw what Thornton did to Orpik and what Neal did to Marchand, but didn't know the outcome, and then I said, "predict the suspensions," you'd say Neal 10 and Thornton zero.

Maybe not that big of disparity. But I don't even know how Orpick got hurt on that play. Again, I must be missing things, because I don't see a hit to the head on Eriksson and I don't know how Orpick ended up on a stretcher from that.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008

Well said.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
thanks, here's a gif too:
826268438.gif

Dirty, dirty hit. I"m sorry, but I don't see this being a clean hit at all, have to disagree w/ people calling it clean. Textbook blindside hit to the head and Eriksson never even touched the puck.

that's the part blowing my mind. How can it be clean if he never played the puck. even if it was not a head shot it would have been a dirty hit on an illegal target. There is no way that is clean. Its not clean because you not allowed to hit him #1 and #2 its not clean because he hits him in the head.

ETOH

Apr 16, 2012

^ this

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

Can I just say I think what Neal did is one of the worst plays this year-he skated over and kneed a prone player in the head.

But I think Thornton's actions deserve a call as well.

I think he was playing his role but I really don't like throwing punches when a guy is on the ice either. But if it were me Neal would get far more games than Thornton.

OutspokenMinority*

Sometimes it doesn't take much-just the right spot.

I haven't watched a replay but somebody speculated that he may have hit his head on a knee on the wa down.

Either way something landed just right and knocked him out.

which is exactly why Neal will get suspended. he hit a defenseless player in the most vulnerable spot possible - the side of the head, completely intentionally.

thornton just wanted a fight and got unlucky.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Meh, they weren't going to maintain .800 hockey.

Just doesn't happen.

Frustrating, but I've seen them turn it on enough when it counts to just take these regular season ups and downs for what they're worth.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
if Mario cries after this I hope Cam and the Bruins respond. That team is dirty as anyone.

Also, Boychuk got carried away on a stretcher, but the Bruins realized it wasn't a bad hit, just a bad outcome. I back them on thinking Orpik took liberties with Loui, and they did something about it.
Orpik could have dropped the gloves and dealt with it, but he chose the easy way.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Bruins fans who have a problem with what Thorty did should take a walk. Probably the same people who had a problem with him not doing anything to Cooke during the game.

Just trying to appease the masses and not look like a "homer"

Please get out of there with that ****.

As someone who actually plays the sport, there is no place for that in this game. That was quite rediculous. I am huge Thornton fan, but he deserves 10 games.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

Mike you are so on your game tonight. 100% accurate.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this is going to get lost in the shuffle, but I really hope when the league looks at the Thornton/Orpik incident they'll catch this, but it looks to me like Orpik could have been knocked out by his own teammate's skate. There's one angle (from in front of Orpik) that shows a pens player jumping in to try and protect Orpik and inadvertently kicking him right in the forehead, right after the 2nd Thornton punch. It's tough to tell and Orpik probably won't remember so we might never know for sure, but I think there's a good chance that it was a skate to the head that actually knocked Orpik out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad