Post-Game Talk: 12/28/17 | Hawks 2 @ Canucks 5 | 9 points between Boeser and Vanek

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Stigs post game analysis from the view of section 113:

Hutton is not an NHL player. Biega is better at almost everything.

Edler can be strapped to the next rocket off the planet for all I care. I see him as as much of an anchor as Eriksson. f*** both of em.

Gaunce did every little thing right. Forechecks like a man posessed.

Marky had a very good bounce back after a few tough outings.

Gudbranson had an ok game. Slow as molasses and got danced on that last one but layed the body well. We need that. I hope that when hes traded, we have someone that can hit like him.

Brock Vanek Gagner...nothing left to say. You guys covered it. Although I must say, the buzz for Boeser is real. Every time his name is mentioned in the building, even just in an ad, he gets a cheer.

Stecher is a midget and should be the #7.

Sedins looked fine. Had some looks, got some chances.

Del Zotto deserves his ice time. He may not be flashy and may make a few blunders but man he reads the play well. Always is pinching in at the right moment or getting his stick in the passing lane at the right moment.

And lastly...Jake. Guy skates like a scalded dog. Speed for days. Just needs to figure out how to use it.

Also the lobster roll is top notch and thr stantion lights werent working.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Florida gave up a conditional 3rd for Vanek plus Dylan McIlrath, a career AHLer. The condition wasn't met so Florida basically got Vanek for nothing.
Expectations need to be tempered.
Uh No.
Detroit picked at 70 via Vanek to Fla

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Uh No.
Detroit picked at 70 via Vanek to Fla
Then the analyst on the radio was wrong. But it doesn't really make a difference, it isn't a 2nd let alone a 1st. Expectations need to be tempered. Point stands.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Just finished watching and Wow.

My admiration of what Vanek is all about grows. Pure magician. If he had an uptick in skating ability he would be a perennial top 10 scorer. Clearly see how he scored 40 prior. Those hands plus shot plus that IQ. Great talent.

Solid chemistry in that line. All three have gelled nicely. Gives Green serious lineup options once Horvat and Baertschi return.

All else was solid.... Marky solid. Stecher with a great bouceback game after looking brutal since returning from injury. Noticed he got the Toewes assignment and was pretty physical with him while limiting from him doing... anything.

Edler was a horse.. other than his gap control on the PPG against.

Shout out to Dowd.. a very good 4th line responsible center. He's been playing extremely steady since his arrival... and good on the PK.

Granlund finally got some good looks after a few underwhelming gms...

Eriksson has fallen back into a "don't notice me" style. Does a lot of little possession maintaining work... but i want to see some production now. The Sedins with 21 were OK.. but clearly a depth line tonight...

Goldy looked very good. Happy about his progress. Will slowly earn that ice time as time goes on if he continues playing clean... ala Virtanen.

Virtanen - the Hawks clearly had a superior defensive structure than the last two opponents Virtanen took advantage of. There was a definite lack of lanes and gaps available to drive for him coming in from the neutral zone. But he still was noticeable on the backcheck, drove play the right way and had a few shot attempts...

Now im tired and dont feeling like typing anymore.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
One thing I’ll have to say here:

As much as I’ve disliked Flames fans and Leafs fans over the years, even I can respect the fact that almost no one from any of those fanbase’ Message boards ever openly cheered against their own team, regardless of what they thought about their management. They understand that by doing so, it not only went against the spirit of competition, but that it was gutless, and horrible display of cowardice.

As it relates to the game:

Vanek-Gagner-Boeser

Keep that line together! Boeser can pretty much score on any line, and if Boeser can get Gagner going again, we’ll be better for it.

The twins stay with Eriksson, while one of Virtanen or Goldobin gets hitched with Horvat and Baertschi (I’d go with Virtanen here).

That should give us three decent lines even if there isn’t a clear cut #1.

Very proud of the boys for competing hard and taking the game......as most real fans of the team would be.

I think Virtanen needs to be hitched with Sutter when he comes back and get his 15+ mins of shutdown experience...

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Goldy
Vanek-Gagner-Boeser
Granlund/Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen...
/Dowd

DEEP.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
I think Virtanen needs to be hitched with Sutter when he comes back and get his 15+ mins of shutdown experience...

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Goldy
Vanek-Gagner-Boeser
Granlund/Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen...
/Dowd

DEEP.
Deep? You mean a pack of mis fists..that lineup does not scream deep in a good way.

Anyways I think we need to move Vanek at deadline should garner a 2nd.

Reactions: dim jim and Toxic0n

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Boeser has the city of Vancouver by the balls, and at this age, not many have done it before him. He is the man of the city right now, and it is utterly amazing. Who is the other player to have the city in such a buzz like this, and that player to have the city by the balls and at his knees? Bure? Sedins?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Deep? You mean a pack of mis fists..that lineup does not scream deep in a good way.

Anyways I think we need to move Vanek at deadline should garner a 2nd.
When healthy... our cast of misfits are starting to fit. To the chagrin of a few.

But agree with moving Vanek... unless this team fangles its way way into a playoff spot prior. I dont expect it.. but possible.

Edit.. two words in this post i have never written before: chagrin and fangled.

Reactions: jd22

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Boeser has the city of Vancouver by the balls, and at this age, not many have done it before him. He is the man of the city right now, and it is utterly amazing. Who is the other player to have the city in such a buzz like this, and that player to have the city by the balls and at his knees? Bure? Sedins?

2010-2011 Sedins had that effect. Any time they had the puck I remember I knew they would do something amazing

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
2010-2011 Sedins had that effect. Any time they had the puck I remember I knew they would do something amazing

I mean in terms of a rookie. I know Bure had the city abuzz, but is there anyone after that? I think it took a bit for the Sedins to truly have the city abuzz, but it didn't take Bure long, just like it isn't taking Boeser long.

The amount of Boeser jerseys I have seen already on TV and such is amazing. Horvat had a lot of jerseys sell early as well, but he didn't have the city going absolutely mad about him - he is incredibly loved but Boeser is different.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
after as in later? i don’t think so.*

after as in other than, troy gamble-mania was a thrilling ride while it lasted.

* okay, maybe jason king?

After Bure as in any year a rookie stepped onto the Canucks roster and made the Canucks a must-watch. Bure was a massive favorite, Boeser is now a massive favorite.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Missed the entire game due to work, I guess boeser and vanek put on a show eh.

Man, Vanek is the most hilarious hockey player in the league, absolutely invisible one night, and amazing the next, no middle ground.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Missed the entire game due to work, I guess boeser and vanek put on a show eh.

Man, Vanek is the most hilarious hockey player in the league, absolutely invisible one night, and amazing the next, no middle ground.
Vanek, to me, looks like a player who gets frustrated when things don't go well early in the game and has trouble over-coming it.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I wonder if Vanek would be down for a TDL trade and if he would come back next year on a wink wink guarantee.

He has great chemistry with Boeser + the Twins and I’m not sold on a lot of our youth making the jump next year.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Agreed. Thing is, it isn't just his great play. Absolutely love the humble attitude, determination, and the little "this is fun" grin he has when he or one of his linemates scores. To me he already qualifies for honorary Canadian status.
With Bure it was his explosiveness that got everybody out of their seats.
With Linden it was the fact that this team had been so bad for so long that it was desperate for a saviour.
With the Sedins it was the intrigue of the "twin factor".

It's arguable that no one player has had the combination of skill and personality that Boeser brings. And he's only 20!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Wonder if the team should keep Vanek instead of the twins? He is big, scores and matches well with Boeser. Sedins are becoming defensive liabilities, take two spots in lineup and block new leadership from taking over. Might be time for young guys to form the core and grow together. With Petterson and Gaudette really close do we have offensive opportunities for them with both Sedins here? I think they could keep playing but kind of hoping they don't. Maybe an one year contract for both of them in case Petterson and Gaudette or Goldobin are not ready. Vanek is less risk and higher reward at this point.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Missed this one but mentioned during the last one how I liked this line. Cool To see it producing.

Yup. Good to see Brock piling up the assists based on exactly what I said against STL... his shot is so respected that it opens up a lot of ice for his linemates.

Vanek is awesome. Didn't like the signing like most, but he's been Benning's best pro scouting acquisition to date.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
With the story coming out that Boeser trained with Vanek this off season in Minnesota, I wonder how much - if anything - that had to do with the Canucks signing him?

Vanek's agent spoke to Dhaliwal this morning and said Vanek is loving the team, the city, the personnel, the works, and he'll be talking to Benning in January about what the future holds for Vanek (ie- new contract, or trade)

I know the smart thing to do if we are out of it is to move Vanek, but I like him an awful lot more than I thought I would. In an ideal world, TPM's scenario would be the best - trade him for assets and then bring him back in the summer.

Reactions: Grantham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad