Post-Game Talk: 12/17/17 | Flames 6 @ Canucks 1 | All the killer bees now out

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The negativity on Gaunce is f***ing idiotic.

You guys realize he's getting buried in the toughest zone starts in the NHL (by nearly double the rate of the #2 guy), right? And consistently sawing off those minutes?

He's chewing through a Malhotra-style usage this year with the toughest, least glamorous minutes on the team and doing a great job. And freeing up a guy like Gagner to get 62% offensive zone starts and soft minutes last night only to be eviscerated in them. And then somehow getting blamed for the loss.

Scoring no goals matters if a) you're an offensive player getting offensive minutes and b) if you're getting scored on. If you're not scoring but taking extremely tough minutes and sawing those off with the other team not scoring either ... that's great and you're doing a f***ing great job. If you don't understand that, you simply don't understand the sport you're watching.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Not at all.

While Gaunce may never develop into that 3rd liner some were expecting (he'll need to start putting up some offense to do so), he's been very good as a 4th liner, in a defensive role.

Not true. Good 4th liners have to contribute offensively in today's NHL. The only reason he gets the support he does, is that he's a Gillis leftover.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Not true. Good 4th liners have to contribute offensively in today's NHL. The only reason he gets the support he does, is that he's a Gillis leftover.

Gaunce has been one of the better defensive players in the NHL this year. So you're wrong.

And people don't blindly support Gillis leftovers like others will blindly support Benning recruits. I get why some might think that, but the blind support a lot of Benning players gets is not normal.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Gaunce has been one of the better defensive players in the NHL this year. So you're wrong.

And people don't blindly support Gillis leftovers like others will blindly support Benning recruits. I get why some might think that, but the blind support a lot of Benning players gets is not normal.

So you also disagree that 4th liners should contribute offensively?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Given that Gaunce has not scored, why do you think Green has continually used him in the toughest minutes? Wouldn't he want to scale back Quality of Competition so that he too can create offense?

For me, in order to exclude Gaunce has being a "good 4th liner" one has to answer the question of the coach's usage first. Without an answer to that question, I'm not sure one can conclude that Gaunce is not a "good 4th liner".

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
That's not what I said. You should re-read what I said without an agenda, and if you want clarification on something let me know.

In my post you quoted I stated that a 4th liner should put some points up.
You chose to ignore that because you don't have an answer to that.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Given that Gaunce has not scored, why do you think Green has continually used him in the toughest minutes? Wouldn't he want to scale back Quality of Competition so that he too can create offense?

For me, in order to exclude Gaunce has being a "good 4th liner" one has to answer the question of the coach's usage first. Without an answer to that question, I'm not sure one can conclude that Gaunce is not a "good 4th liner".

I wouldn't use an appeal to authority to support my point here. We've established that coaches make strange decisions and aren't always in tuned with analytics (just look at Granlund's usage last year for example). My point is that Gaunce has been given those tough minutes and has performed very well in them, defensively.

While I do think some offense is needed (and he certainly has that potential), I also think there's room for a 4th liner like Gaunce as long as his defense is elite and his contract is cheap.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Orcatown aside, because I know and trust that they watch the games, and I’m okay with respecting a totally differing opinion from someone I respect - I really wonder what some folks are watching with Gaunce.

Yeah, he has zero goals, but in last night’s game, for example, he was fairly regularly turning play in the right direction, often through multiple solo efforts while teammates just stood around. He was creating things through his speed and hustle while a guy like, say, Virtanen - with all that natural ability - was not, and if I’m a coach, those are things I notice in a game like that.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
In my post you quoted I stated that a 4th liner should put some points up.
You chose to ignore that because you don't have an answer to that.

Actually I just responded to that. I haven't chosen to ignore anything. You clearly have an agenda that you're pushing and I'm not taking that bait.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Orcatown aside, because I know and trust that they watch the games, and I’m okay with respecting a totally differing opinion from someone I respect - I really wonder what some folks are watching with Gaunce.

Yeah, he has zero goals, but in last night’s game, for example, he was fairly regularly turning play in the right direction, often through multiple solo efforts while teammates just stood around. He was creating things through his speed and hustle while a guy like, say, Virtanen - with all that natural ability - was not, and if I’m a coach, those are things I notice in a game like that.

Seems like some are just watching the most basic stat sheets.

"Zero goals? Well he was crap tonight."

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

There are few options at this point with Sutter and Dorsett out and all the injuries we have.
Do you not think that in order to stay on the roster he has to put some points on the board?
I doubt he's even in the league next year.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
There are few options at this point with Sutter and Dorsett out and all the injuries we have.
Do you not think that in order to stay on the roster he has to put some points on the board?

What’s your take on Erik Gudbranson’s season so far?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The negativity on Gaunce is ****ing idiotic.

You guys realize he's getting buried in the toughest zone starts in the NHL (by nearly double the rate of the #2 guy), right? And consistently sawing off those minutes?

He's chewing through a Malhotra-style usage this year with the toughest, least glamorous minutes on the team and doing a great job. And freeing up a guy like Gagner to get 62% offensive zone starts and soft minutes last night only to be eviscerated in them. And then somehow getting blamed for the loss.

Scoring no goals matters if a) you're an offensive player getting offensive minutes and b) if you're getting scored on. If you're not scoring but taking extremely tough minutes and sawing those off with the other team not scoring either ... that's great and you're doing a ****ing great job. If you don't understand that, you simply don't understand the sport you're watching.

I had to login just to "like" this post (and your other ones as well on this topic). Well said.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

He has 5 fewer points than Sutter this season. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad