Post-Game Talk: 12/17/17 | Flames 6 @ Canucks 1 | All the killer bees now out

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Gaunce the best froward by a mile??? Where does this stuff come from ??? Gaunce led the team in Give Aways in this game. Went 25% in faceoffs Did nothing at at all offensively even when given decent passes to work with. Best you could say is that he wasn't an important factor in too many of the goals against. Otherwise he did nothing. And as player that you claim can bring it physically did nothing like that tonight. Criteria for Guance seems to be that if he doesn't screw up too bad he is playing well. Just doing nothing real bad is enough

Look MS you have been trying to back up your emphatic statement that Gaunce is a bona vide NHL player and will come an effective 3rd line center for years now. You go constantly about what a good player he is and how he has real future on the team. You say I am bias but I think the reality is that you are so totally invested in proving yourself right that you u shape every conversation to prove it. This is manifest when you over the top when someone criticizes Gaunce with statement like he was "the best forward by a mile". What exactly did he do.

At his best Gaunce is a dime a dozen player who can't produce offense. He has one assist in 18 games this year and we all know how little he has produced in the now nearing 100 games in the League. (and I can remember how you insisted Gaunce would produce if a only given more ice time - well he has and nothing has changed) Anyone else produced like this and you would recognize him as not contributing. But with Gaunce you have laid down a marker and through thick and thin you will stand by it. You have a agenda.

I try to call Gaunce and others as I see them on a game by game basis. I've recognized the situations where he has contributed this year but he did nothing in this game that was meaningful and a lot wrong. And if you have player that is suppose to be this heavy checking bruiser (which is the best you can claim for Gaunce) then he needs to step up when teams begin to knock our players around. Guance absolutely refuses to this. He has never got involved in that and never will. It just isn't in his nature. The next time Gaunce scrapes with anyone or even gets involved in a close quarter shoving match will be the first for that.

But I like to hear about just what you are seeing that you think makes Gaunce one of our best forwards?

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Gaunce is a black hole offensively no doubt. But if you look at ES scoring you’ll see every player on this team not named Boeser, Horvat or Baertschi are black holes. So at least a Gaunce saws off evenly with the competition while being a black hole. If I’m looking at the forwards I see far more problems than Gaunce. That said he should be 8-10 minutes fourth liner at most.

IKEA

May 31, 2010
SE
Gaunce will be a good coach one day, but as a player, will remain questionable and stuck to the bottom of the roster.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Gaunce got a breakaway and on another play burned a d guy wide for a good shot. He did this all individually. He did create chances in this game.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
According to Del Zotto that was everything they had. :facepalm:

“Tonight is tough. I’m not going to make excuses with the injuries we’ve had. We gifted them a few goals, but any time that happens, you have to stick with it and you have to stay together.
“The effort has to be there every day. It’s learning how to be a pro and not just give in and let the other team take over. That comes with a winning culture and teaching the young kids. Some the veterans in the third period were still giving everything they had regardless of the score (and being outshot 19-4).”

Brock Boeser’s character, commitment to winning saluted by his teammates

Jesus what a load of crap

Reactions: Peter10

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i'd be more worried about him saying "some" of the veterans, than i would about the overall sentiment in del zotto's statement. i believe a lot were trying. but the team is still trying to play good hockey teams more or less straight up. as soon as our supporting cast try to step up and press in that situation then as much as they try they become defensive liabilities and do not generate enough offence to compensate. that's why bad teams play willie-ball.

last night is what it looks like some nights when you try and play like a respectable home team and you don't have a legitimate first line and the sedins forget to take their eau de vie before the game, and the goalies do not bring their a game.

i keep saying this, but i am not sure how much longer green can play his system without the personnel. still think willie guest coaching is the solution.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Gaunce was Gaunce - I thought he was fine. Just like he contributes very little positively in wins, he contributes very little negatively in wins. So goes the life of a low-event 4th liner.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gaunce the best froward by a mile??? Where does this stuff come from ??? Gaunce led the team in Give Aways in this game. Went 25% in faceoffs Did nothing at at all offensively even when given decent passes to work with. Best you could say is that he wasn't an important factor in too many of the goals against. Otherwise he did nothing. And as player that you claim can bring it physically did nothing like that tonight. Criteria for Guance seems to be that if he doesn't screw up too bad he is playing well. Just doing nothing real bad is enough

Look MS you have been trying to back up your emphatic statement that Gaunce is a bona vide NHL player and will come an effective 3rd line center for years now. You go constantly about what a good player he is and how he has real future on the team. You say I am bias but I think the reality is that you are so totally invested in proving yourself right that you u shape every conversation to prove it. This is manifest when you over the top when someone criticizes Gaunce with statement like he was "the best forward by a mile". What exactly did he do.

At his best Gaunce is a dime a dozen player who can't produce offense. He has one assist in 18 games this year and we all know how little he has produced in the now nearing 100 games in the League. (and I can remember how you insisted Gaunce would produce if a only given more ice time - well he has and nothing has changed) Anyone else produced like this and you would recognize him as not contributing. But with Gaunce you have laid down a marker and through thick and thin you will stand by it. You have a agenda.

I try to call Gaunce and others as I see them on a game by game basis. I've recognized the situations where he has contributed this year but he did nothing in this game that was meaningful and a lot wrong. And if you have player that is suppose to be this heavy checking bruiser (which is the best you can claim for Gaunce) then he needs to step up when teams begin to knock our players around. Guance absolutely refuses to this. He has never got involved in that and never will. It just isn't in his nature. The next time Gaunce scrapes with anyone or even gets involved in a close quarter shoving match will be the first for that.

But I like to hear about just what you are seeing that you think makes Gaunce one of our best forwards?

Right now I'm not talking about anything but last night.

In last nights game he was our best-skating forward and generated more quality scoring chances than any other forward, and did this while taking our toughest defensive minutes and not getting scored on in a 6-1 game, and sawing off his possession numbers in those tough minutes in a game where we were outshot 38-17.

To single him out as one of our worst players is absurd and completely non-representative of what actually happened.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Right now I'm not talking about anything but last night.

In last nights game he was our best-skating forward and generated more quality scoring chances than any other forward, and did this while taking our toughest defensive minutes and not getting scored on in a 6-1 game, and sawing off his possession numbers in those tough minutes in a game where we were outshot 38-17.

To single him out as one of our worst players is absurd and completely non-representative of what actually happened.

I want to 'like' this post but I've received to many infractions/warnings on here to "show my support" so to speak.

Nevertheless - great post and I couldn't agree more. I love Gaunce. I hope he keeps working hard and the results start to follow.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Unbelievable the amount of injury's this team has had in the last 3 years,i've never seen anything like it.Green is a HUGE upgrade over WD but the playoffs are likely out of reach now with all these injury's piling up.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
boeser's injury is a blessing in disguise. and not just for the anti-winning losers.

because they won't have to pay him a bonus for the calder so that means more money for a gudbranson extension.

the added toughness on the roster will ensure that no player on the canucks is ever injured again.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I've always considered it to be a mismatch of the two. All the reports suggested that at #6 our NA scouts wanted Ehlers and our European scouts wanted Nylander, but Aquilini was enamoured with getting the local kid and Benning went along with that. From that point Benning says he mostly sat back and let the scouts do their work, but looking at how the draft went down it's like each scout was given a chance to make a pick. For example our Russian scout got to make a pick which was highly unusual, and Mackenzie Stewart was a total Delorme special after he'd been silenced for a few years.

So removing bias and looking at that draft objectively, I think had Gillis been left to run it then with the picks
we had (which wouldn't have been the same but just for the sake of the argument) it would have looked like:

6. Nylander/Ehlers instead of Virtanen
24. McCann
36. Demko
66. ??? instead of Tryamkin
126. Forsling
156. Pettit
186. ??? instead of Stewart

Just for the sake of argument i'm going to say it would have looked nothing like that, here's my case: Vancouver Canucks Draft History at hockeydb.com

Seriously, assuming who Gillis would have picked is crazy, and thinking he would have picked nhl players with mid round picks doesn't hold up with actual history. Maybe I should give Gillis a little more credit, he did pick 2 nhl players (Hutton, Connauton) outside the first round. Brian Burke, with about the same # of picks, only drafted 1 (Bieksa).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Gaunce will be a good coach one day, but as a player, will remain questionable and stuck to the bottom of the roster.
Realistically...Next season he will be pushed even further down the depth chart..Probably one of the first call ups from Utica.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
So... mercy pull for Marky but not for Nillson eh? Then Nillson comes in and plays terrific in the third, naturally. It's official; I hate this coach...

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Realistically...Next season he will be pushed even further down the depth chart..Probably one of the first call ups from Utica.
If he wasn’t young he’d probably be in the ahl right now. He’s not a nhl caliber player right now but they’re giving him a shot.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I went to the game.....sigh. The first period was very entertaining, crowd was really buzzing. Boeser's injury was a shock, but what deflated the team, in my opinion, was goal#2. Markstrom should have had that one. (Indication that he was not going to steal the game for them).

The younger guys, like the vets, made their share of mistakes. Two of them stood out for their opposite attitudes. Virtanen was truculent and got under the skin of several Flames. He took penalties and he drew them, too. He was involved, which the crowd appreciated. And then you have Gaunce, who registered zero on the emotional scale. He is a decent penalty killer, but he's also a big guy, and should have some physical influence on the game.

So....we look forward to our 2018 draft pick.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just for the sake of argument i'm going to say it would have looked nothing like that, here's my case: Vancouver Canucks Draft History at hockeydb.com

Seriously, assuming who Gillis would have picked is crazy, and thinking he would have picked nhl players with mid round picks doesn't hold up with actual history. Maybe I should give Gillis a little more credit, he did pick 2 nhl players (Hutton, Connauton) outside the first round. Brian Burke, with about the same # of picks, only drafted 1 (Bieksa).

Well how do you balance it when it's Gillis draft team, Benning comes in late and he himself says he basically left it up to the scouts? The only mid-round pick I have listed as a hit is Forsling, and that was a Thomas Gradin pick. Gradin has a pretty good history for us and gets a lot of respect at the table, it's not like they'd suddenly not listen to him just so 'Gillis' could make a bad pick there.

The other non-1st round hit would be Demko, but he was a high 2nd so not really a mid round pick and not a position we pick from often. Again like Gradin our college scouts have always been pretty good for us, Demko was the top rated goalie that draft and our long term future goaltending was a question mark, so picking Demko there was pretty much a gimme... thanks to Calgary being idiots and taking Mason McDonald two spots before.

I think you're putting too much weight of succses or failure on the draft squarley on the GM here instead of the scouting team as a whole. You're also not looking at the luck factor that comes into play with drafting... where you can't find a more perfect example than with Dave Nonis comparing his first draft 2004 with his last 2007.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Not at all.

While Gaunce may never develop into that 3rd liner some were expecting (he'll need to start putting up some offense to do so), he's been very good as a 4th liner, in a defensive role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad