GDT: 12/13/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Toronto vs Tampa Bay

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think there's definitely a bit of pride at stake here, but it's more about the way the Leafs are looking at this game. This is THEIR big test, not ours, so they're going to come out blazing, the same way TB did when we started realizing our potential. So I think our team is gearing up for that, which does set up a "big game" atmosphere, even if two points is two points, and the outcome is almost inconsequential.

The Leafs are looking at us like a measuring stick. There's no way this is "just another game" for them, which, in turn, makes it a big game for us too.

That said, it still scares me that we're bringing Vasy back before it was anticipated. I feel like we have a long history of putting guys on the ice to appease their "warrior" mentality, rather than playing the long game, and making sure there's no chance whatsoever he could do damage tonight. Some injuries just nag players all year if they don't sit the **** down and let it heal.

Different injuries but after the mistakes we made with Ryan Callahan, I don't think they'd risk doing that to Vasy. But maybe I'm wrong.

But anyway you're right about this being the Leafs big test. It seems every week there's this big game we have to play against someone wants to knock us off for some personal reason. Whether's the games against Buffalo before and after their win streak, the games against Nashville in a potential SCF preview, the Avalanche seeing how they fare against us, the Leafs this week, or any time we play Detroit because they want to finally knock us off. But all that said our guys are used to this by now. We called the NYR a trap game and Stamkos scored his first hat-trick in 4 calendar years.

Barring injuries to key players, the absolute worst thing that happens is that we lose tonight and the Lightning thirst for payback.

All said I'm optimistic and irritated that I got called into work and am gonna miss this one.

c'est la vie

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
In 1 more game than the Leafs, we have 6 more GA. The Leafs brag about their GA. In 1 more game than the Leafs, we have scored 17 more GF. Somehow the Leafs are deeper than us.

This is a lose - lose game. If we lose, the Leaf fanbase will act like they have won the Stanley cup. They barely remember what it's like to win a series. If we win this game, they will spin it to prove how they are still better some how, and be just as unbearable as they normally are.

No one ever wins playing the Leafs...no one.
We'll just have to put up 6 tonight. :popcorn:

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Let's go :bolts!!

Please don't suck, especially against the Leafs! :puppy:

This game isn't part of my half season plan, but I just HAD to get a ticket for it anyway. Can't wait to see Vasy back on the ice! I hope he's ready.

Gonna be a good 'un!!

Reactions: LonLon Lei

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tons of TB content on TSN's Toronto radio today, all of it up in podcast form.

Most interesting thing I've heard so far: Gord Miller has spent the morning/day asking guests, in the case of an expansion draft where you could only protect one player, who would TB protect? Darren Dreger chose Stamkos. (Miller then asks for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th player, and, bizarrely, Dreger didn't choose Hedman until 5th... but whatever, LOLeafs.)

Anyway, according to Miller, when he asked pro scouts the same question, most of them came back with Brayden Point 1st. That's pretty interesting to me. And good for the future of the franchise, considering Point's age.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Tons of TB content on TSN's Toronto radio today, all of it up in podcast form.

Most interesting thing I've heard so far: Gord Miller has spent the morning/day asking guests, in the case of an expansion draft where you could only protect one player, who would TB protect? Darren Dreger chose Stamkos. (Miller then asks for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th player, and, bizarrely, Dreger didn't choose Hedman until 5th... but whatever, LOLeafs.)

Anyway, according to Miller, when he asked pro scouts the same question, most of them came back with Brayden Point 1st. That's pretty interesting to me. And good for the future of the franchise, considering Point's age.
And of course I forget to bring headphones to work today.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Please just win tonight boys, cannot deal with the leafs fans who would think that they have won the cup if they beat us. Send a strong message that we mean business.

Reactions: JDBolt

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Am i the only one who isn't overly enthusiastic about Vasi starting? Quite the team to shake off the rust against. Hopefully I can eat some crow later. Let's go bolts!! Win!!!

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Please just win tonight boys, cannot deal with the leafs fans who would think that they have won the cup if they beat us. Send a strong message that we mean business.
Same here we need to beat them or else the posts on the main board are going to get more annoying.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Think i will give that thread a miss tonight, on the other hand if we are destroying them may have to look at the excuses that they come up with:laugh:

1. Refs
2. "Lucky for you it's only December."
3. Yeah but Matthews >>>> McDavid
4. Cups don't matter in Florida anyway
5. Kuchergoon

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Big Cat wants big win!!!! No stopping him.
I think this is the perfect game for him to comeback tbh. Everyone should be ready to go.
giphy.gif

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I had Hockey Central on during lunch and apparently the Bolts are not a favorite to win the cup despite being 6 points ahead of anyone else in the league according to Kypreos. He says you "shouldn't forget about them" like we're an afterthought. Goofy.

Reactions: mjtm777

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Oooo boy the straw grasping in the Leafs GTD by some of their fans is something else.

"They're not overly impressive"

"Favorable schedule"

"Vasy hasn't been good this year" (.927 2.29)

In response to someone saying Tampa is the clear best team in the East: "Is it clear? I'm not so sure about that"

Someone else saying we basically haven't played anyone

Someone saying Washington and Pit are better than TB

Plenty of fans giving us appropriate respect, but holy **** man.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
This game means nothing. Should Leafs get past the 1st round (and I doubt they will) we'll just sweep them in the playoffs, guaran.effin.tee. Win / Lose tonight ... matters very little.
You'd think the Lightning would've won the cup already with that kind of talk.

LawManN

May 7, 2015
Tampa, FL
Well, according to the leaf fans, we should not even put a team on the ice, because we have played only crap teams and paper tigers so far.
Again, underestimating the lightning is not a smart move..
GO BOLTS!

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Tonight does matter. It's the biggest game they've played this year. Does it matter in the sense that this is going to have an impact on future outcomes? Nah, but it'll definitely teach us all something.

Toronto is the team that magically became "just as good as Tampa" by signing Tavares. Most people agree it's Tampa or Toronto coming out of the East this season.

I've been cautious in saying this team feels different this year. Tonight is gonna go a long way in proving it. We can't have a bad first period. We can't have a bad period at all, because they're capable of making you pay much worse than the Rangers are.

Big game. I'm hyped up boys.
I'd say whoever comes out of the East between the Leafs or Lightning is winning the cup. I take both those teams over any team out west at full strength.

Reactions: puckbunnygirl

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I had Hockey Central on during lunch and apparently the Bolts are not a favorite to win the cup despite being 6 points ahead of anyone else in the league according to Kypreos. He says you "shouldn't forget about them" like we're an afterthought. Goofy.
I just started listening to it to lol. Its sportsnet so its no surprise. My favorite part is where they were comparing the two teams and they bring up Andersen then mention "the Tampa goalie". LMAO they won't even say Vassy's name.

Reactions: Hoek

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
In 1 more game than the Leafs, we have 6 more GA. The Leafs brag about their GA. In 1 more game than the Leafs, we have scored 17 more GF. Somehow the Leafs are deeper than us.

This is a lose - lose game. If we lose, the Leaf fanbase will act like they have won the Stanley cup. They barely remember what it's like to win a series. If we win this game, they will spin it to prove how they are still better some how, and be just as unbearable as they normally are.

No one ever wins playing the Leafs...no one.
I don't think any leaf fan believes the Leafs are as good as the Bolts right now, we haven't been fully healthy yet outside of 1 game and our play lately hasn't been that good despite winning games. The win on Tuesday against the Canes was a good first step, I think all Leaf fans are anxious to see how we stack up fully healthy against the Bolts. This is the first time all year we've played a team with a better record than us.

Reactions: NiftyMits

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oooo boy the straw grasping in the Leafs GTD by some of their fans is something else.

"They're not overly impressive"

"Favorable schedule"

"Vasy hasn't been good this year" (.927 2.29)

In response to someone saying Tampa is the clear best team in the East: "Is it clear? I'm not so sure about that"

Someone else saying we basically haven't played anyone

Someone saying Washington and Pit are better than TB

Plenty of fans giving us appropriate respect, but holy **** man.

I also saw this in regards to Vasy

"What the f*** is that?"

"What the f*** is that is that a f***ing cat?"

"Don't f***ing look at me like that, that's a weird f***ing cat!"

"MA!!! MA!!!!"

"BLINK MOTHERf***ER!!!!!!!!!"

"AAAHHH NONONONONNONONO!!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad