Post-Game Talk: 12/11/17 - Rangers vs. Stars

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
It's not that I don't agree. I've been advocating for a more aggressive North-South style team for years, but I stopped talking about it because it gets reduced to #tufnEZz

You break the trap by either skating like lightning through it before it solidifies or smashing your way through it.

The Rangers are not built for the smash method, and with out Z-bad, it's easier to stifle the current East-West style.

Yeah. Buch actually did that in the game. He skated through four Dallas players, gained the zone, but had no one to dish off as the Dallas players recovered and swarmed him. Nash was effective in breaking their trap because he is a big body and protects the puck well. Dallas also has bigger and more physical players, based on my non-scientific eye test. We were getting bullied along the boards. Our offense isn't designed with a F puck mover unless it's Nash playing bull-in-china shop or Grabner or Kreider streaking. It's stretch passes.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
refs let many calls go uncalled against dallas and that may have hurt us a bit where maybe a powerplay turns the momentum and we get off and running early. but it never came and the momentum never came. that was one of the worst displays I've ever seen in all my years of watching this team. easily should have been a 6 7-0 blowout loss on home ice. a burn the tape type of game that you can't even think about the next day. everyone knows we are much better than that display.

pavelec stole a point we had no business getting. that's the bottom line. no one else played well not even remotely. MAYBE nash but that's it.

Ryan McDonagh right now is the worst player on the team. the WORST. I don't know what is going on with this guy but he is awful night in and night out. last night was his worst. his offensive game is completely gone. he has regressed BADLY. doesn't drive the play doesn't do anything. if he continues like this I trade him over the summer. dead serious

Never been the same player with the captaincy. .. he's awful. Trying to do too much all the time, every game has ruined him as a player. They ruined this guy.

Reactions: Doctor King Schultz

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yeah. Buch actually did that in the game. He skated through four Dallas players, gained the zone, but had no one to dish off as the Dallas players recovered and swarmed him. Nash was effective in breaking their trap because he is a big body and protects the puck well. Dallas also has bigger and more physical players, based on my non-scientific eye test. We were getting bullied along the boards. Our offense isn't designed with a F puck mover unless it's Nash playing bull-in-china shop or Grabner or Kreider streaking. It's stretch passes.

I guess you need more than one guy capable of doing something.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Physical issues often lead to mental mistakes. McD may have been at his peak in 2014 but he was good in 2015-2016 as well. This season has been a large decline but in camp his skating looked as good as ever. I think he has played through injury.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Yep. And when they fly the zone, they don't come back. However, the long passes were not connecting because Dallas had a steady four-man box roving in the neutral zone for 2+ periods. One F high as the puck chaser as soon as our Dman or F gets the puck, funneling our man towards the boards and another Dallas F waiting at our blue line. If we managed to get by, their two D and other F get over to our man with their box. There was not any room in the neutral zone. They cut off the passing lanes and skating seams to prevent our long stretch passes. Stretch passes also require timing and rhythm, and we were disrupted all night so we never got into any good flow. We do not dump and chase until we are an absolutely desperate team with time winding down. It occurs again and again.

This is the AV rangers. It worked for 2 yrs. It's not working anymore. Having no centers obviously doesn't help, but every year since the ECF, it's the same.

When it works it's good, not great. .. when it doesn't. ... they lose....

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Like I said last night, you don't want to blame the officials in a game like that, but was the officiating part of the cause for the game situation?

I am convinced if Dallas was called for their infractions, the game would have been much different.
An extremely dangerous point of view. I got to see the game very much up close and it was not even a discussion. The Rangers may have as well stayed home. There was ZERO fight. ZERO. ZERO effort to chase down pucks. And the defense was nowhere to be found. Had dallas decided to crash the net more often, the score would have been worse.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
An extremely dangerous point of view. I got to see the game very much up close and it was not even a discussion. The Rangers may have as well stayed home. There was ZERO fight. ZERO. ZERO effort to chase down pucks. And the defense was nowhere to be found. Had dallas decided to crash the net more often, the score would have been worse.

The other team was bigger than us. We were scared.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This is who they are though. The NYR identity is exactly what you penned here.

Zero fight... zero effort.

This is exactly who they are.

The emperor is buck naked.

Reactions: NikC

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This is absurd

Team is 4 pts out of first place they battle they just had a horrible game. Should have been one of those 6-0 burn the tape games but pavelec didn’t allow it.

Expect a big time effort tomorrow in Ottawa

Reactions: mrhockey193195

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Pleasantly surprised with Pavelec in this one and against the pens.

Looked like absolute garbage before that but he may be turning it around

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

Yeah this team is known for mailing it in on a nightly basis, it's why we haven't made the playoffs in 7 years.

Oops, I forgot it's not 2004. Sometimes I feel certain people are still stuck in the dark ages.

Anyway in gonna go ahead and find the positives from last night and that is maybe Pavelec can be a capable backup.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah this team is known for mailing it in on a nightly basis, it's why we haven't made the playoffs in 7 years.

Oops, I forgot it's not 2004. Sometimes I feel certain people are still stuck in the dark ages.

Anyway in gonna go ahead and find the positives from last night and that is maybe Pavelec can be a capable backup.
Mailing it in is not what is being talked about. Not willing to engage or get their nose dirty is. That is not something that was thought of after one game. This has been a running commentary for most of AV's tenure. It is the same approach that has led to either early exits in the playoffs or lack of ultimate success.

Reactions: NikC

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

We've been posting here for roughly the same amount of time... you get it...

I really want to see a change... everything. .. the ship has sailed on this group since the ECF.

As long as Hank is here, they'll be just good enough to either just make , miss the playoffs. The epitome of mediocrity.

Dark times coming up

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Mailing it in is not what is being talked about. Not willing to engage or get their nose dirty is. That is not something that was thought of after one game. This has been a running commentary for most of AV's tenure. It is the same approach that has led to either early exits in the playoffs or lack of ultimate success.

Glad someone sees this. I'm not saying the team is a habitually slow starter, but last night went on for 2+ periods. Sleepwalking or being lazy had little to do with it. It was more like Dallas did so well in preventing us from executing the pretty hockey we like to play.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
There is absolutely no excuse for Nash being thrown down not being called, it's games like this that make me think certain games are helped to go a certain way because of betting and Vegas and all that ****.

I'm not even sure how the refs didn't call a single penalty on dallas... I'm convinced that the league has adjusted to the Rangers having such a good power play that they call less against the opposing teams

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Zucc's trick is that he shovels the puck on shootouts. He loses velocity and accuracy as a consequence, but it's impossible for the goaltender to telegraph the shot.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Glad someone sees this. I'm not saying the team is a habitually slow starter, but last night went on for 2+ periods. Sleepwalking or being lazy had little to do with it. It was more like Dallas did so well in preventing us from executing the pretty hockey we like to play.
During AV's tenure, they have not had any success when teams take away the middle of the ice and prevent pond hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad