Golf: 117th United States Open Championship: June 15-18. Erin Hills.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So now Paul Azinger is telling us Brooks Koepka might be the next DJ.

:laugh:

If Brian Harman won, we'd be told that he'll be the next Lee Trevino.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
It looks like Koepka is going to win. To that I ask, who is he? This is supposed to be the best tournament of the year (I'd even call it the Super Bowl of Golf) and the leaderboard has a lot of no names on it. Congrats to who was lucky enough to play well, but who are the "stars" of golf these days?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Two of those five actually did contend.

I get your point, I'm just saying this is not interesting, at all. There have to be very few people who enjoyed this.

I agree it's not the best, but it's also not the USGA's fault that all of the top players didn't perform well. It also sucks that the course conditions were so easy... even that crazy wind of this morning started to die down for the leaders... the large amount of rain and lack of wind made the course conditions very pleasant, and the top players in the world didn't play well, which is of no fault of the USGA. Wasn't ideal, but I don't think it's all simply because the course sucked.

Jan 3, 2012
So now Paul Azinger is telling us Brooks Koepka might be the next DJ.

:laugh:

If Brian Harman won, we'd be told that he'll be the next Lee Trevino.

No no no he has it wrong

Brooks Koepka wins first major at US Open shooting 16 under. Rory McIlroy won first major at US Open shooting 16 under.

Therefore Koepka is the next Rory McIlroy.
:sarcasm:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I agree it's not the best, but it's also not the USGA's fault that all of the top players didn't perform well. It also sucks that the course conditions were so easy... even that crazy wind of this morning started to die down for the leaders... the large amount of rain and lack of wind made the course conditions very pleasant, and the top players in the world didn't play well, which is of no fault of the USGA. Wasn't ideal, but I don't think it's all simply because the course sucked.

I casually follow these tournaments and based on what I see, Golf might be the "luckiest" sport to succeed in. You think you know who the great players are, and then you have a week like this where those great players didn't show up in unison.

Jan 3, 2012
Six straight majors for first time champs now..

Congrats to Lee Westwood on winning The Open Championship.

Jan 3, 2012
Quick... someone call in and say he made a mistake marking his ball so the USGA can give him a 4 stroke penalty.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

This tournament was terrible timing to host a major. Rory coming off an injury, DJ out of form, Jordan out of form, Jason has been brutal all year, Phil couldn't compete.

Not like its the USGA's fault, the tournament is the same week every year, just bad timing for a major. You could kind of see this coming, between the lack of top players in form and the easier type of course.

I just don't want people to pick on golf, and say it now sucks because none of the top players contended. That ignores so much context.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Six straight majors for first time champs now..

Congrats to Lee Westwood on winning The Open Championship.

The first two majors this year have been won by golfers I dislike. And I dislike very few golfers. Can't be more than like a handful or two.

Willett and Watson will win the last two. :help:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I casually follow these tournaments and based on what I see, Golf might be the "luckiest" sport to succeed in. You think you know who the great players are, and then you have a week like this where those great players didn't show up in unison.

Yeah golf is just one of those sports where you really just never know what's going to happen, but that also makes it entertaining.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
This tournament was terrible timing to host a major. Rory coming off an injury, DJ out of form, Jordan out of form, Jason has been brutal all year, Phil couldn't compete.

Not like its the USGA's fault, the tournament is the same week every year, just bad timing for a major. You could kind of see this coming, between the lack of top players in form and the easier type of course.

I just don't want people to pick on golf, and say it now sucks because none of the top players contended. That ignores so much context.

Well, could be worse... could be the NBA :laugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone think Mike Davis is going to throw a tantrum over this?

Probably will start preparing tomorrow for +5 at Shinnecock next year.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I disagree with you guys regarding Koepka. He hasn't been playing great this year, but he'll be a top 15/20 golfer for the rest of his career.

Ever since he really broke into the scene in 2015, the guy consistently shows up in majors. Hell, even since 2014 he hasn't missed a cut in a major, and now has a win, 5 top tens, and 10 top 25s in 12 majors. Hasn't finished outside the top 25 in a major since the 2015 Masters (T33). That's a big time player.

Edit: And he's certainly better than Jimmy ****ing Walker. Come on.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
When Rory won at -16 in 2011, the next year +1 won.

Next year will be difficult, and I also expect Pebble Beach and Winged Foot to be very difficult the two years after that.

Jan 3, 2012
When you think about it, anyone could really become big late in their career. DJ and Day blossomed and became starts after a few years on the fringe being above average. I'm not saying Koepka will, but maybe in a few years he could be really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad