#11 wins it!

Dec 6, 2011
Orr and Brown especially were running around alot in the first period...but that's what they're there for and that's how the Leafs play

Nothing wrong with that, it worked in Montreal twice...just so happens it didn't last night, next game, things could be different.

I love what Orr brings to the table, but I think Brown will be the first to go when Frattin returns. Orr and Maclaren are enough, any more and the Leafs are just begging for penalty calls against them.

PricePkPatch*

Montreal was clearly the hungrier team and dominated the play pretty much the whole game, however I didn't see anyone going out of there way to run anyone.

Either way, it's your board and I'll head out rather than risk being called a troll. Good win.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Man, did you even watched the game? You think 40 hits all happened in perfectly intelligent and tactically sound play?

The Leafs were putting themselves out of position badly by running at any white shirt like the enraged bull they are trying to emulate. The goal scored by Emelin was caused because the Toronto Winger tried to smash Armstrong big time and completely missed; this left Emelin perfectly open to take his best shot of the year.

Dec 6, 2011
I'd take Brown over Maclaren for sure.

I think an argument could be made either way. For me, I like Maclaren's size for the cycle game that the fourth line (ideally, Orr-Mclement-Maclaren) should be playing, though Brown's speed can't be ignored.

I've just seen Brown whiff on too many scoring opportunities, so perhaps I'm unfairly jaded against him.

Side note, how has Colby Armstrong been for you guys? He was terrible for us but looked moderately effective last night.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think an argument could be made either way. For me, I like Maclaren's size for the cycle game that the fourth line (ideally, Orr-Mclement-Maclaren) should be playing, though Brown's speed can't be ignored.

I've just seen Brown whiff on too many scoring opportunities, so perhaps I'm unfairly jaded against him.

Side note, how has Colby Armstrong been for you guys? He was terrible for us but looked moderately effective last night.

He's been excellent on board battles and that's about it. Not hitting much... Slow as hell... He had like 3 breakaways and just shot it wide... He plays good on the PK... Not much more. He threw maybe 1 or 2 good hit but he's not the player he used to be. He's not getting resigned.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

He's been effective in a 4th line role, but with our depth he's likely a healthy scratch with a healthy line-up.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
this game wasnt even close....lol...

Ya think? Just pointing out that the Habs won that game due to some pretty bad goaltending from Scrivens and a few lucky bounces. Same could be said for the game against Ottawa. Habs outplayed them and it wasn't even close in terms to who was dominating who, yet the Sens DID get the goaltending to win and the Habs DID NOT get the bounces.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Ya think? Just pointing out that the Habs won that game due to some pretty bad goaltending from Scrivens and a few lucky bounces. Same could be said for the game against Ottawa. Habs outplayed them and it wasn't even close in terms to who was dominating who, yet the Sens DID get the goaltending to win and the Habs DID NOT get the bounces.
Bad goaltending from Scrivens?

One bad goal against?

His rebound control was poor (so was Price last night), but two of four goals were deflections were he had almost zero chance. Pacioretty's first goal was a bad rebound but a really lucky bounce (usually if you give rebounds, you direct them to the corner which he did) and Patches last goal was a rocket.

He was easily the best player on the ice for the Leafs.

Habtchum*

Anyone that could replace Moen and/or Armstrong would be good additions. Prust must feel alone doing all the "dirty" work.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If ref did faceoff properly maybe gallagher doesn't score. Honestly, **** happens, let's not stress too much over it when it's this close.
Agreed. It was offside, but who cares. Just like the faceoff was a bad call, but Bozak should have kept playing instead of yelling at the ref. **** happens, you play until there is a whistle. There's dozens of bad calls and missed calls every game.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Bad goaltending from Scrivens?

One bad goal against?

His rebound control was poor (so was Price last night), but two of four goals were deflections were he had almost zero chance. Pacioretty's first goal was a bad rebound but a really lucky bounce (usually if you give rebounds, you direct them to the corner which he did) and Patches last goal was a rocket.

He was easily the best player on the ice for the Leafs.

He was bad last night. Almost every shot he faces, a rebound squirts out. His rebound control has to be among the worst in the league. Emelin's goal was an ugly one that I am sure he'd love to have back. Besides that, he looked shaky. I've watched him in his starts after Reimer went down and he's very average. Again, rebounds galore. The only difference last night was the Habs were able to sneak into the slot and gobble up those rebounds or get a stick in for a tip. Previous games, the Leafs defense were doing a better job in front of Scrivens.

Best player? Probably. That really doesn't say much though. :laugh:

Habtchum*

Two super road games. The Habs are becoming a real team. Even with the turbulance that might had been created with the Cole trade, they stayed focused. Good job, boys.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Man, did you even watched the game? You think 40 hits all happened in perfectly intelligent and tactically sound play?

The Leafs were putting themselves out of position badly by running at any white shirt like the enraged bull they are trying to emulate. The goal scored by Emelin was caused because the Toronto Winger tried to smash Armstrong big time and completely missed; this left Emelin perfectly open to take his best shot of the year.

That winger was James Van Riemsdyk....well said mate

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He was bad last night. Almost every shot he faces, a rebound squirts out. His rebound control has to be among the worst in the league. Emelin's goal was an ugly one that I am sure he'd love to have back. Besides that, he looked shaky. I've watched him in his starts after Reimer went down and he's very average. Again, rebounds galore. The only difference last night was the Habs were able to sneak into the slot and gobble up those rebounds or get a stick in for a tip. Previous games, the Leafs defense were doing a better job in front of Scrivens.

Emelin's goal was ugly... cause it was a deflection. Not much he could do, he beat the screen by four guys, found the puck, and would have made the save had it not been deflected by Bozak.

Scrivens is a rebound machine, but he usually puts his rebounds into the right spots. Lots of goalies are rebound machines, but with a good defense and good enough control to bounce to the right areas, it doesn't hurt the team.

He's a goalie who will make the first save and the team has to help him out after (like most backups). He did that perfectly last night and the rebounds didn't really hurt him.

As far as I remember, both goalies gave up a goal due to bad rebound control last night. None of the other goals were off bad rebounds, at least I don't think.

Anyone that could replace Moen and/or Armstrong would be good additions. Prust must feel alone doing all the "dirty" work.
Very weird to chirp Armstrong after last night. He was easily one of the best 6 Hab forwards. Very, very strong game.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In an attempt not to derail this (well-deserved) victory thread, I will leabve this here for your reference. It is a post from the end of last season in which a Leafs fan makes a case for Phaneuf as a #1 defenceman. Quibble over that term if you like, but I think this shows he is well-suited to a top-pairing:

Anyway, I'm sure this won't persuade plenty of people here (as I know a post celebrating Galchenyuk or Plekanec would likely go ignored by many on the Leafs board), but hopefully it shows that there is a bit of a myth about Phaneuf's shortcomings, which are greatly exaggerated in the fishbowl that is Toronto.

I mean, if you want to give us Markov to soldify our top pairing, that'd be fine by me :sarcasm:

That's fair...maybe I don't spend enough time watching him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

The reason Toronto even got 2 goals was due to some poor goaltending display from Price too.
First goal he deflects it off the opponent, the second it's a routine dump in shot on him, heck it's in his glove, yet he fails to control it, forced to toss it aside, it goes around our board, our squad is disorganized and before we know it's in the back of our net.

Not sure what we're really arguing about here. We dominated Toronto.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
The reason Toronto even got 2 goals was due to some poor goaltending display from Price too.
First goal he deflects it off the opponent, the second it's a routine dump in shot on him, heck it's in his glove, yet he fails to control it, forced to toss it aside, it goes around our board, our squad is disorganized and before we know it's in the back of our net.

And he SHOULD HAVE saved the second goal anyways.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009

This. Price was asleep. Nearly the entire game was played in the Toronto end of the ice. Scrivens made some great saves to stop this game from getting too out of their reach.

Poulet Kostopoulos

Oct 23, 2009
I just read on TSN comment section:

That empty net goal actually counts as a goal against Leafs goalie because he was still on the ice when gionta scored.

Is that true? lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad