Post-Game Talk: #11: FLYERS at Penguins, Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Apparently Giroux is supposed to also be the coach, GM, goalie, defensemen, and play all three forward positions. And who does he make better? Well with him all of Hartnell, Raffl, Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, and TK played their best hockey, while also being the QB of one of the best PP units for the last near decade... so quite a lot of players?

By the way, can someone remind me how many playoff series McDavid has won? Guess he’s not good enough either?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Apparently Giroux is supposed to also be the coach, GM, goalie, defensemen, and play all three forward positions. And who does he make better? Well with him all of Hartnell, Raffl, Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, and TK played their best hockey, while also being the QB of one of the best PP units for the last near decade... so quite a lot of players?

By the way, can someone remind me how many playoff series McDavid has won? Guess he’s not good enough either?

What do you know? You're an internet fanboi.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It’s baffling to me that anyone can actually say anything other than #FireStewie.

It’s truly dumbfounding how people can still defend it in any shape or form. I appreciate the “he had no other options” defense though.

Dude, there were like literally 0 other athletes without a contract and our farm system sucks. Stewie was the only choice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Crosby is the best player of his generation & at worst a top five player all time. He’s also played with another player in Malkin who’s been right behind him in the best players of their generation. Add in they’ve just had better rosters than the Flyers for the bulk of their careers.

There’s a long list of players & teams that don’t match up to Crosby & the Pens. So that isn’t exactly a stain on Giroux.

That's funny, because I was told repeatedly the only reason we lost to the Pens in the 2017-18 playoffs was the HC.
Of course, Giroux and Voracek lost in the playoffs under Lavi, Berube and Hakstol. This year they can do so under AV.

Giroux is a marginal HOF candidate, he's not an all time great and he can't carry a team, and shouldn't be blamed for not doing so.
Voracek had a couple good years, but is not an elite player and is now on the downside of his career, he scores but does little else to help the team win.
The two are not equivalent.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dude, there were like literally 0 other athletes without a contract and our farm system sucks. Stewie was the only choice.

Well, we did go through Twarynski, Bunnaman and Pitlick and lost Patrick and Laughton.
It wasn't like Stewart was anyone's first choice.
And it's not like he's the primary reason for 5-5-1, unless he can play goal.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Well, we did go through Twarynski, Bunnaman and Pitlick and lost Patrick and Laughton.
It wasn't like Stewart was anyone's first choice.
And it's not like he's the primary reason for 5-5-1, unless he can play goal.

I would go through 100 players before I would ever consider Stewart for a roster spot in 2019.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What do you know? You're an internet fanboi.
I'd be much more insulted if it wasn't coming from the guy who said this:

it doesnt matter, it's all about leadership, we may lost lose a ton of young players and this team will play at a high level, you can still get youth in free agency for as much as your draft picks. these draft picks are meant for value and to trade to get better players, they are not meant to hold on to and hope they become great players.

you got this mind set that you build a team through the draft with 18 and 19 olds, it's impossible, that's why the oilers were trash doing this strategy, they had no leadership. if it was successful every team would be doing it, no team will ever do it, it's too much for the young players that dont know how to play the game.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
There are a couple of posters who need to spend two or three weeks straight in a hyperbaric chamber breathing pure oxygen. Then when they get out they need to take a slew of adult education classes, just basic things that align the brain with any kind of knowledge at all, and slowly build up to like a third-grade intelligence before they post anymore on here.

Reactions: Starat327

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com

Preach dude, preach.
People are always so excited to jump on the best players. I'll never understand that mentality. I saw some small publications sending out the implications that Giroux is being shopped. They don't even mention a NTC or the fact that it's ONE game. It's just emotional click bait. People need to chill...I want to see how they respond under AV.

This team is talented and has played well at times this year. Until recently I thought the team had a lot of positives take away in the early season. Unfortunately, they're still an inconsistent team. I do wonder why the starts are consistently slow. Even on nights where they dominate possession, they don't usually start that particularly strong.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
ok, look the pens, look at sid the kid, he makes players around him better, that's why they won 3 cups, that's what superstar players do. what players have gotten better under giroux?

Did you forget how his legacy was as an all-time choker after melting down with full-blown tantrums in the playoffs numerous times, before he was given a good coach and better supporting cast, or what?

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Did you forget how his legacy was as an all-time choker after melting down with full-blown tantrums in the playoffs numerous times, before he was given a good coach and better supporting cast, or what?

I remember him winning the cup at age 21 and being the youngest captain to do so

So no

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I remember him winning the cup at age 21 and being the youngest captain to do so

So no

Oh so you literally missed all those years of disastrous choking. Thanks for confirming that.

Crosby never did it alone. Gretzky couldn't even do it alone. Blaming Giroux of all people for the last decade sets back human intellectual progress by decades.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
His legacy was definitely in jeopardy at age 20

Lol at you

I'm busy LOLing at you missing the entire "Crosby is actually a choker and he wasn't even the best player when they won the Cup" discussion that went on for years. It was a huge thing every offseason.

Amazing how competent roster building and coaching turned that around huh

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
I'm busy LOLing at you missing the entire "Crosby is actually a choker and he wasn't even the best player when they won the Cup" discussion that went on for years. It was a huge thing every offseason.

Amazing how competent roster building and coaching turned that around huh

Crosby was in the cup finals before he was allowed to legally drink.. and then won the thing before he could grow facial hair at 21

If his legacy was in jeopardy at age 21 how far back did that set the human intellectual progress you were talking about?

Anyways, F the pens

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Crosby was in the cup finals before he was allowed to legally drink.. and then won the thing before he could grow facial hair at 21

If his legacy was in jeopardy at age 21 how far back did that set the human intellectual progress you were talking about?

Anyways, F the pens

Are you thinking about what happened before he won, or the years of disastrous playoff exits that followed? Because I'm talking about the latter and how it was treated by fans around the league.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Are you thinking about what happened before he won, or the years of disastrous playoff exits that followed? Because I'm talking about the latter and how it was treated by fans around the league.

Okay so he won the cup and wasn't able to bring another home for a few years (I'd take one fn cup in my lifetime at his point)

I don't think it's cool to call Crosbaby a choker, and those that were have been proved wrong. He's been a superstar since he entered the league and has went clutch to cement his name onto 3 cups.

Maybe it's not fair to blame Giroux, I agree.. but he isn't #87. I don't see the point in arguing that.

Reactions: tucson83

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Okay so he won the cup and wasn't able to bring another home for a few years (I'd take one fn cup in my lifetime at his point)

I don't think it's cool to call Crosbaby a choker, and those that were have been proved wrong. He's been a superstar since he entered the league and has went clutch to cement his name onto 3 cups.

Maybe it's not fair to blame Giroux, I agree.. but he isn't #87. I don't see the point in arguing that.

Nobody is arguing that he is Crosby. That's the whole point.

My entire point here is how ludicrous the Blame Giroux movement is. I'm doing this by comparing it to the Crosby Is A Choker movement.

Turns out Crosby isn't a choker, he just needed a better cast and coach. Same is true for every superstar that has ever played. That is how hockey works. Blaming Giroux is stupid.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

You don't think it's cool to call Crosby a choker? Why the **** not? Embrace the hate, for ****'s sake.

Reactions: Striiker

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Steve Yzerman. What a choker. Bad captain. Soft. Bad in playoffs. Just move on from him.

Oh, wait, this is not 1994.

And Yzerman was a superior player to Giroux ofc.

But when your 4th best forward in Shawn Burr, there is no bottom six, and Rick Zombo is on the top pair it is hard to win no matter how good Yzerman was.

Which is similar as the Flyers from 2012-2018 in effect. They had no chance even when Giroux was a Hart contender.
Because on average over that time they had:
5x top 6 fwds
7x top 9 fwds
0x top pair D
2-3x top 4 D
A goalie in 3/6 years.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Steve Yzerman. What a choker. Bad captain. Soft. Bad in playoffs. Just move on from him.

Oh, wait, this is not 1994.

And Yzerman was a superior player to Giroux ofc.

But when your 4th best forward in Shawn Burr, there is no bottom six, and Rick Zombo is on the top pair it is hard to win no matter how good Yzerman was.

Which is similar as the Flyers from 2012-2018 in effect. They had no chance even when Giroux was a Hart contender.
Because on average over that time they had:
5x top 6 fwds
7x top 9 fwds
0x top pair D
2-3x top 4 D
A goalie in 3/6 years.

But if we want to say "I saw Sidney Crosby pick up his poop and eat it," we should absolutely say it. Is it a lie? Possibly. But who cares? We have to draw the line someplace and let the spite breathe.

By the way, Stevie Y ruled. Totally underrated.

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad