Post-Game Talk: #11: FLYERS at Penguins, Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
This is the scariest thing for me.... if the farm system is so supposed to be sooooo deep how come no one can crack the lineup over the slop in the bottom 6

going off what appleyard has said..rubstov should be in the bottom 6. Frost is playing pretty well so he can even get a promotion. At this point I think it has to do with us not having room, cap space, and not wanting to have so many rookies in the bottom 6. The last thing is the dumbest. If they are ready and can plaay better than stewart, pitlick, and voro..then play them. No reason to not play them because of this.

We can easily move farabee up so we don't have so many rookies in the bototm 6:

lindblom-g-tk
jvr-hayes-farabee
raffl-frost-voracek
pitlick-rubstov-nak

Reactions: Fragmuffin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I suppose Laczynski is more of a wing, but he’s a guy who could be a very effective 4th liner.

Reactions: Appleyard

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Fletcher ever planned on actually using Stewart.
Remember, he was on a PTO on that road trip, no commitment.
But Patrick went from "weeks" to "months."
Laughton got injured.
Pitlick struggled after missing TC.
They tried Twarynski, Bunnaman and Vorobyev.

So it's not like Stewart was the 1st, 2nd or third choice.
And they really have a hole at RW, Pitlick was supposed to be the 4RW, Twarynski was tried but right now is better suited to LW.
Farabee is a rookie LH playing RW.

The only credible alternatives are:
1) NAK - for some reason they don't like him, it would be interesting to find out why
2) Twarynski at LW, Raffl at RW, while RW isn't as natural for Raffl, he's been credible there before
3) move Lindblom to RW and Farabee down to 4RW, uh, let's not and say we did?
4) replace Stewart with Pitlick, but he's looked just as bad.
5) bring up Kase, but he's really not a 4RW type or bring up Gabriel, on second thought . . .
6) trade for a RW

Blame Laczynski and Allison, if Laczynski had gone pro or Allison doesn't blow out his knee, this wouldn't be an issue. :sarcasm:

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
When they signed Pitlick, it was as the 12th forward to start the season, knowing he'd probably get pushed down at some point.
When they signed Stewart, is was as the 13th forward with Patrick out, then Laughton goes down.
Neither player was expected to play much of a role, Pitlick plays 11:03, Stewart 8:01.

In 2010-11 the best team in this decade:
Shelley 58 games at 6:11, CFrel -11.0
Carcillo 57 games at 7:46 CFrel - 6.3
Boyton 10 games at 10:15, CFrel -14.3
Bartilus 13 games at 14:01, CFrel -8.6

Betts 82 games 10:27, CFrel -11.9
Powe 81 games, 12:17, CFrel -6.6
O'Donnell 81 games 15:32, CFrel -7.4

That team put up 106 points.
A few stiffs at the bottom of the roster aren't the difference between winning and losing.
I believe they signed Stewart. Well after they knew Patrick was not playing. I mean. We found out in training camp and Stewart got a contract after the season started. And we had exactly 12 healthy forwards then the sent down two and activated Pitlick.

Reactions: Striiker

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don't think Fletcher ever planned on actually using Stewart.
Remember, he was on a PTO on that road trip, no commitment.
But Patrick went from "weeks" to "months."
Laughton got injured.
Pitlick struggled after missing TC.
They tried Twarynski, Bunnaman and Vorobyev.

So it's not like Stewart was the 1st, 2nd or third choice.
And they really have a hole at RW, Pitlick was supposed to be the 4RW, Twarynski was tried but right now is better suited to LW.
Farabee is a rookie LH playing RW.

The only credible alternatives are:
1) NAK - for some reason they don't like him, it would be interesting to find out why
2) Twarynski at LW, Raffl at RW, while RW isn't as natural for Raffl, he's been credible there before
3) move Lindblom to RW and Farabee down to 4RW, uh, let's not and say we did?
4) replace Stewart with Pitlick, but he's looked just as bad.
5) bring up Kase, but he's really not a 4RW type or bring up Gabriel, on second thought . . .
6) trade for a RW

Blame Laczynski and Allison, if Laczynski had gone pro or Allison doesn't blow out his knee, this wouldn't be an issue. :sarcasm:

Tbf Twarynski and Bunnaman both did better than Stewart has... I mean, I understood why they sent him down and he would not be my first recall... but I would have Twarynski back right now over him.

Raffl also played quite a bit of last year and the year before at RW.

I mean, I would take Andreoff right now at LW and shuffle Pitlick to the RW too... even though that is still a poor 4th line.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If nothing else, this board is consistent in fixating on the last players on the roster & whipping them to absolute death.

Reactions: Jtown

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Stewart was simply a gamble, he has improved his skating, he did have a track record, and Pitlick doesn't have his game legs back.
He wouldn't be the first veteran to get a few games to skate himself into shape (or out of the league, as the case may be).

Let's be frank, do you think Twarynski would have fared better against Crosby? Rubtsov?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If nothing else, this board is consistent in fixating on the last players on the roster & whipping them to absolute death.

I mean... Lecavalier, Filppula and MacDonald played pretty big roles and were generally "whipped" because they were poor/sub-optimal in those roles and it showed.

Mez went from loved to a whipping boy when he could not play well anymore...
L. Schenn and Grossmann were both well liked after first season or so, then play fell off and people turned...
Schultz was the same. To begin people liked him, then his game went downhill.
Simmonds last year got a lot of stick for the same even though he was loved.
Hartnell got a lot of grief at the end of his time here.

No-one really complained about Betts (maybe halfway through final year... his skating fell off so quickly), Lapperiere, Asham, Fedotenko, Hall, Raffl, Read, Laughton, Cousins etc from my recollection... because they did their roles well and were positives overall.

Last edited:

DaphneLion

Apr 8, 2018
Pennsylvania
going off what appleyard has said..rubstov should be in the bottom 6. Frost is playing pretty well so he can even get a promotion. At this point I think it has to do with us not having room, cap space, and not wanting to have so many rookies in the bottom 6. The last thing is the dumbest. If they are ready and can plaay better than stewart, pitlick, and voro..then play them. No reason to not play them because of this.

We can easily move farabee up so we don't have so many rookies in the bototm 6:

lindblom-g-tk
jvr-hayes-farabee
raffl-frost-voracek
pitlick-rubstov-nak

I agree with your overall point but no matter how you spin it, Fletcher is a dunce. If the reason we're forced to keep slop like Pitlick, Stewart, and Hagg in the lineup is because we're in a cap pinch, then that's on Fletch for mismanaging the cap considering how much cap space we had going into the offseason. That's not the reason though, because if Fletcher wanted to, he could send all 3 down and call up Frost, Ruby and Myers and we'd still be under/at the cap. The only possible reason for Fletcher choosing not to do this because he thinks Hagg, Stewie and Pitlick add value.

Also, where did couturier go?

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
this is pretty much sums up to giroux fans despite the seven years of not making out of the first round:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Unsure how that's Giroux's fault.

Is he supposed to be coach and GM too?

ok, look the pens, look at sid the kid, he makes players around him better, that's why they won 3 cups, that's what superstar players do. what players have gotten better under giroux?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
ok, look the pens, look at sid the kid, he makes players around him better, that's why they won 3 cups, that's what superstar players do. what players have gotten better under giroux?

Crosby is the best player of his generation & at worst a top five player all time. He’s also played with another player in Malkin who’s been right behind him in the best players of their generation. Add in they’ve just had better rosters than the Flyers for the bulk of their careers.

There’s a long list of players & teams that don’t match up to Crosby & the Pens. So that isn’t exactly a stain on Giroux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad